Thread: Running Game

Default Running Game

I have a question about the running game. Not having the ability to go to the games this year I can only listen on the radio. I wonder why we are not more successful in the running game. From a distance, this is what it seems like to me:

1. We have upgraded our running backs. We have two good freshman back and a very solid sophomore back and even though we haven't played all our backs we appear to have more depth than in past years.

2. The offensive line appears to be better but I am wondering whether they are better at pass protection than run blocking? The Saints seem to be the same way to me.

3. Gautier is a much better passer than I thought he would be and a fair if not spectacular runner. Still he has got to be a concern to the opposing defenses which also should open the run lanes for more for our running backs.

4. The receiving corp is much improved which should also force the defenses to be concerned about passing and as a matter of fact, the team has gained significant yardage in the air.

Therefore, why are we having so much trouble running the ball? I would much rather get 5, 6, 7, yard on first and second down than an occasional 50 or 60 yard run because it helps more with the flow of the offense.

I am really asking a question rather than making a statement I can not figure what is holding us back and my comment is not based on one game. It just doesn't make sense. Is it the play calling or the execution? I think if we solve this riddle we could be in line for our greatest season ever!

Default Re: Running Game

Quote Originally Posted by wgwillis View Post
    I have a question about the running game. Not having the ability to go to the games this year I can only listen on the radio. I wonder why we are not more successful in the running game. From a distance, this is what it seems like to me:

1. We have upgraded our running backs. We have two good freshman back and a very solid sophomore back and even though we haven't played all our backs we appear to have more depth than in past years.

2. The offensive line appears to be better but I am wondering whether they are better at pass protection than run blocking? The Saints seem to be the same way to me.

3. Gautier is a much better passer than I thought he would be and a fair if not spectacular runner. Still he has got to be a concern to the opposing defenses which also should open the run lanes for more for our running backs.

4. The receiving corp is much improved which should also force the defenses to be concerned about passing and as a matter of fact, the team has gained significant yardage in the air.

Therefore, why are we having so much trouble running the ball? I would much rather get 5, 6, 7, yard on first and second down than an occasional 50 or 60 yard run because it helps more with the flow of the offense.

I am really asking a question rather than making a statement I can not figure what is holding us back and my comment is not based on one game. It just doesn't make sense. Is it the play calling or the execution? I think if we solve this riddle we could be in line for our greatest season ever!
    I often think and wonder the exact same thing.

Default Re: Running Game

From the games I have had the opportunity to see, at first the coaching staff was still expirimenting 3 games into the season figuring out for sure who his best, most dependable players were. Then, no sooner does Gauthier get the starting job, he goes down with an injury. Masson comes in & does his best work of the year relieving Gauthier. However, I think by this point everyone sees Gauthier's full potential & realizes he can do a few things better than Masson.
    Next, the defenses in the conference start putting 9-10 guys in the box to stuff Harris, Griffen, & company. This is where patience by the staff pays off. You have to stay committed to the run on most first & 2nd downs, because it WILL open up your play action passing game. If you abandon the run even though it is not percieved to be working then the other side will be able back out of fake blitz packages & their defense is basically dictating to you the rythem & momentum of the game.

This is what happened Saturday night. The reason I was hoping the coach would take the penalty early was his motto was don't take your foot off the gas. By taking the penalty, you put yourself in extremely short distance to convert the first down & give your offense the opportunity to convert & build their confidence again as a unit. We have to remember these guys are young, impressionable, & they see things a lot quicker than we do. By taking the field goal you are saying to your offense I'm scared & don't think you guys can make it. Further more, I'm scared that my defense won't get me the ball back if you don't make it. I'm sorry to have to say it that way, but there is no other way to say it. Now, if you don't think your guys see it that way, you better know right now, thats sure in the hell the way the other guys on the other side are going to see it. Then it's a jaill break for their side. It's called flinching & when you do it you put yourself in a hole on the road. It happens all the time. I saw the same thing When New Orleans played Greeen Bay earlier this year.

To answer the question: To open up the running game in a situation where there are 9 in the box you have to execute a couple of long passes to make their safeties drop off in coverage. Obviously, we still don't have people scared enough of our deep game yet. Either this or just get a bunch of clydesdales up front to blow people off the ball.

Thread Information