Thread: UL’s offensive line proving itself

1. UL Football UL’s offensive line proving itself

LAFAYETTE - The perception of disrespect was evidently a powerful preseason motivator for the University of Louisiana offensive line.

And if UL’s blockers forgot they were considered the weak link on offense, line coach Mitch Rodrigue was usually there to remind them otherwise.

The rest of the story

Default Re: UL’s offensive line proving itself

I said right after watching last nights game the run blocking was horrible. The worst outing by the O line by far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    I said right after watching last nights game the run blocking was horrible. The worst outing by the O line by far this year.
    QBs dont get 419 yards from a bad olinegrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    He was referring to the running game.

O-line pass protection has been great, running game not so much

Do you know the difference between a run and a pass?

Relax, Poppa. You're talking to an O-line player's mom. I'm sure she knows very well the difference between a run and a pass. She's just being a mom.

The Cajuns averaged 5.8 yards on 21 carries for a total of 121 yards, so that's not a horrible effort. You can't take plays away, but 79 of those yards came on Spikes' TD run, meaning they gained only 42 yards on their other 20 rushes.

Something to keep in mind is the Cajuns had to pass more to rally. They ran it only 10 times after falling behind 21-10 midway through the second quarter. Gautier put up the third-best passing effort (419 yards) in school history and had the fifth-most pass completions (32) on 51 attempts.

Correct. That one long run by Spikes inflated our running game total and made it look better than it was . We averaged only "2" yards per carry outside of that one long run. That is worse than pathetic.

I am confident the team can do.and will do.better than that on Saturday.

Hud mentioned the poor play of the OL in the DA today. I have faith those guys will bounce back.

Their run blocking hasn't been great, but after the hard instinctive running I saw earlier in the season, I haven't seen the RB's hitting the hole as well lately. First of all, Spikes scored on the homerun threat out of the backfield, but he has shown a complete inability to run in between the tackles. Its not his fault, hes a speedster and he does well when we get him to the outside. He is a good 3rd down back, but I heard this past weekend, and saw last week against UNT that we had him in on a lot of first and second downs which I think is just not a good idea. We need to have the threat of running inside, and that only comes with the bigger backs in Harris and Griffen, and with that they need to do a better job of finding the hole and hitting it with authority. The Oline did put out their worst effort of the year, but I'm far less concerned with their performance than the performance of our Defense who sounded like they didn't make the trip up to Bowling Green.

12. Default Re: UL’s offensive line proving itself

In my opinion UL lost the game on the 2nd and 4th possession of the game.

The 4th possession if I recall was 3 straight (and out) run plays.

The 2nd possession was a fumble and that is never good.

It just changed the whole mindset of the players on the field and ultimatly WKU was able to start pinning their ears back.

Still UL was only down by 4 but by then WKU had all the confidence in the world.

1 or 2 different plays early and UL wins that game, BECAUSE, it goes in a different direction.

jmo

I would hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    The Cajuns averaged 5.8 yards on 21 carries for a total of 121 yards, so that's not a horrible effort. You can't take plays away, but 79 of those yards came on Spikes' TD run, meaning they gained only 42 yards on their other 20 rushes.

Something to keep in mind is the Cajuns had to pass more to rally. They ran it only 10 times after falling behind 21-10 midway through the second quarter. Gautier put up the third-best passing effort (419 yards) in school history and had the fifth-most pass completions (32) on 51 attempts.
    JP I don't know if you had the opportunity to watch the game I am just commenting on what I saw which is our O line get whipped on the line of scrimmage.

Thread Information