Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ASU's new mascot

Default Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    C'monthere will never, ever be any confusion between us and themeven with Bayou in their name.

I like Marauders myself

Monroe Maraudersrolls off the tongue.

Z.
    I never said there would be confusion in this State, but we have a unique quality about ourselves here in the Acadiana area. People around the country associate us with the bayou, alligators, etc

I could care less about ULM, but nobody outside this state is aware that there is not a bayou anywhere near Monroe. My point is, we need to keep was is uniquely ours, ours. ____, the idiots in BR call themselves the bayou bengals. What a joke. I've lived in BR and you may as well be in New York because BR is nothing like being in the bayou or in cajun country.

Where in the ____ is our marketing department??

2. Default Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    I could care less about ULM, but nobody outside this state is aware that there is not a bayou anywhere near Monroe.
    There is a "Lafourche Bayou" that runs through Monroe. . .

It's only thanks to the overall French influence of south Louisiana on the state as a whole, that the term bayou is used as far north as Monroe. That influence extends as far west as Houston.

Just to show you how wrong Monroe got it, there is a "Bayou Lafourche" in south Louisiana and I must say any authentic use of bayou has Bayou coming before the name of body of water.

Anyone who says Bayou doesn't borrow identity from Acadiana and south Louisinana is mistaken.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

It's only thanks to the overall French influence of south Louisiana on the state as a whole, that the term bayou is used as far north as Monroe. That influence extends as far west as Houston.

Just to show you how wrong Monroe got it, there is a "Bayou Lafourche" in south Louisiana and I must say any authentic use of bayou has Bayou coming before the name of body of water.

Anyone who says Bayou doesn't borrow identity from Acadiana and south Louisinana is mistaken.

jmo
    Thanks Turbine. I was not aware that there was a bayou in Monroe. Regardless, I still hope that ULM does not select a mascot with "bayou" in its name.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I never said there would be confusion in this State, but we have a unique quality about ourselves here in the Acadiana area. People around the country associate us with the bayou, alligators, etc

I could care less about ULM, but nobody outside this state is aware that there is not a bayou anywhere near Monroe. My point is, we need to keep was is uniquely ours, ours. ____, the idiots in BR call themselves the bayou bengals. What a joke. I've lived in BR and you may as well be in New York because BR is nothing like being in the bayou or in cajun country.

we have a marketing dept?

Z.

5. Default Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

Thanks Turbine. I was not aware that there was a bayou in Monroe. Regardless, I still hope that ULM does not select a mascot with "bayou" in its name.
    Me too it would muddy the waters . . . . pun

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    we have a marketing dept?

Z.
    That's funny.

jmo

Talk about borrowing form South Louisiana with Bayou, how about Bayou Buccaneers? A Buccaneer is a pirate. How far away are they from the Gulf or any other body of water? I guess they'll claim Lafitte sailed the pirate ship up the bayou.

8. Default Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

jmo

I believe Bayou Desiard does run through their campus. You have to cross over it to get to the stadium

9. Default Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

While it certainly bothers me that people who have in the past openly rejected Cajun culture would suddenly start pimping it out to help their cause, I will say that anyone who goes to Monroe with the hopes of discovering Cajun culture deserves what they find there.

Las Vegas has a replica of the Eiffel Tower, but if I want to experience the French culture I'll fly to Paris.

This is so COOL Re: ULM Mascot Semi-Finalists.

You do know that there is a bayou that runs smack down the middle of that campus in Monroe except when they are ULM @ Little Rock. What has our marketing department got to do with ULM or Baton Rouge? Are you suggesting we should have a trademakr on Bayou Whatever? confused: :confused:

jmo
    He's right.

Hey Z!, Bayou Lafourche runs through Cut Off. Which is also located in Lafourche Parish between Galliano and Larose.

Just a simple Louisiana History/Geography lesson.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CutOff_Cajun
    He's right.

Hey Z!, Bayou Lafourche runs through Cut Off. Which is also located in Lafourche Parish between Galliano and Larose.

Just a simple Louisiana History/Geography lesson.
    Its "Lafoosh" chere!

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    You do know that there is a bayou that runs smack down the middle of that campus in Monroe except when they are ULM @ Little Rock. What has our marketing department got to do with ULM or Baton Rouge? Are you suggesting we should have a trademakr on Bayou Whatever? confused: :confused:
    I didn't know about the "bayou" in Monroe until Turbine set me straight. Sorry for the confusion, but my point is that our marketing department, for whatever reason, does a very poor job of marketing our athletic program in general outside of Lafayette. I just thought I would throw that in to this post since it seemed relevant. If ULM selects a name with bayou in it, where is the uniqueness that should be ours. We are in the heart of Cajun Country, not ULM or LSpuke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information