Thread: Ideas for New Orleans Bowl-Lafayette Edition

Default Ideas for New Orleans Bowl-Lafayette Edition

I know that everyone is excited that the NO Bowl will be in Lafayette this year and we want to put on a grand show for ESPN and the national audience. I'd like to see what ideas that everyone has to make a good showing, a great showing for ESPN, national audience, visiting teams and their fans. Remember, this game should bring in 25,000 - 30,000 people, and some of those have never been here. They will want to experience our food and culture. Maybe we can share these ideas with the powers that be and some may come to fruition. I'll start with my idea.

I know that it will probably be chilly and we don't know what the weather conditions will be like for Dec. 20th, but I think that aside from the entertainment that should take place at Cajun Field, I think that a special edition of "Downtown Alive!" should take place on Dec. 20th. With alot of the displaced New Orleans' musicians and entertainers that will probably still be in the area, possibly they could be utilized to give Lafayette a New Orleans feel for this special event. Mix in a couple of Cajun and Zydeco bands from this area and BAM! you have one heck of a party. It would also give ESPN some great shots going to and from commercial breaks. And, it would give Lafayette some great pub. Also, I don't think that the downtown restaurants and bars wouldn't mind the exposure and business before, during and after the game.

Default Re: Ideas for New Orleans Bowl-Lafayette Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun
    I know that everyone is excited that the NO Bowl will be in Lafayette this year and we want to put on a grand show for ESPN and the national audience. I'd like to see what ideas that everyone has to make a good showing, a great showing for ESPN, national audience, visiting teams and their fans. Remember, this game should bring in 25,000 - 30,000 people, and some of those have never been here. They will want to experience our food and culture. Maybe we can share these ideas with the powers that be and some may come to fruition. I'll start with my idea.

I know that it will probably be chilly and we don't know what the weather conditions will be like for Dec. 20th, but I think that aside from the entertainment that should take place at Cajun Field, I think that a special edition of "Downtown Alive!" should take place on Dec. 20th. With alot of the displaced New Orleans' musicians and entertainers that will probably still be in the area, possibly they could be utilized to give Lafayette a New Orleans feel for this special event. Mix in a couple of Cajun and Zydeco bands from this area and BAM! you have one heck of a party. It would also give ESPN some great shots going to and from commercial breaks. And, it would give Lafayette some great pub. Also, I don't think that the downtown restaurants and bars wouldn't mind the exposure and business before, during and after the game.

Let's not discount the fact that C-USA is involved in this as well and what better opportunity to showcase UL. We need to get into C-USA or a more regional conference of C-uSA members and out of the SBC. We are being given the opportunity. Its up to us to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLandCajun
    Let's not discount the fact that C-USA is involved in this as well and what better opportunity to showcase UL. We need to get into C-USA or a more regional conference of C-uSA members and out of the SBC. We are being given the opportunity. Its up to us to take advantage of it.
    On the CUSA thought. This might be our only year to host it, because, even if the Superdome is not ready for the 2006 NO Bowl, I would think that Tad Gormely Stadium could possibly be available and I would think that Tulane would want to host it. This bowl game does belong to NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun
    On the CUSA thought. This might be our only year to host it, because, even if the Superdome is not ready for the 2006 NO Bowl, I would think that Tad Gormely Stadium could possibly be available and I would think that Tulane would want to host it. This bowl game does belong to NO.
    The Times-Pic today had a nice article on the NO Bowl going to Lafayette. They indicated that if the Superdome wasn't ready next year, Lafayette might be the host again. They article was very complimentary toward Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    The Times-Pic today had a nice article on the NO Bowl going to Lafayette. They indicated that if the Superdome wasn't ready next year, Lafayette might be the host again. They article was very complimentary toward Lafayette.
    The Advocate (on-line) had a similar article. I completely agree about the Downtown Alive idea; and it should be the night before for an all-night version, and perhaps some more following the game on the 20th. But the "big party" should be monday night (19th). There was some talk about pushing the Acadian Village area as well as the general christmas theme in Acadiana. Would be nice if the campus could be lit us as well. Definitely need to push the University and the Lafayette communityto the forefront. And bottom line, we need that stadium rocking! UL season ticket holders - we need to get our seats for this game as soon as they are available and try to get the community to come out to Lafayette's/Acadiana's Bowl Game.

6. Default Re: Ideas for New Orleans Bowl-Lafayette Edition

Quote Originally Posted by shof
    The Advocate (on-line) had a similar article. I completely agree about the Downtown Alive idea; and it should be the night before for an all-night version, and perhaps some more following the game on the 20th. But the "big party" should be monday night (19th). There was some talk about pushing the Acadian Village area as well as the general christmas theme in Acadiana. Would be nice if the campus could be lit us as well. Definitely need to push the University and the Lafayette communityto the forefront. And bottom line, we need that stadium rocking! UL season ticket holders - we need to get our seats for this game as soon as they are available and try to get the community to come out to Lafayette's/Acadiana's Bowl Game.
    How about closing off areas off Jefferson where all the bars etc. are ala Bourbon Street --- Could be great wIth great video etc. I see the Cajuns playing the Greenies ---- Damn right I have the faith!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Ideas for New Orleans Bowl-Lafayette Edition

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLandCajun
    If we are to move up in ANYTHING it will take MONEY. And to get it teams here will do their part and the community will have to do the same, SHUCK IT OUT, BABY!!!

ALL of us can go to some of the games from some sports, some may buy season tickets to some sports, some donate equipment, others donate time and sweat equity, still others go out and speak with business friends and get them involved, BUT ONE THING IS SURE, IT WILL TAKE ALL OF US WORKING TOGETHER, NOT GIVING UP, BUT PUTTING UP!!!

LETS DO IT,
    DADDYCAJUN

Thread Information