Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another bowl game besides the NO Bowl

Default Another bowl game besides the NO Bowl

So I hear all the talk about the new orleans bowl being where UL will be heading.

But let's say UL finishes 11-110-2.something along that line.We would most likely be highly considered to be in the top 25.We would most likely get a bid to a better bowl game.would we take that or even consider it?

2. Default Re: Another bowl game besides the NO Bowl

A bowl with a much larger payout than the NO Bowl will want a name brand team playing. This includes your BCS bowls and high-tier non-BCS bowls. UL is not going to one of these. Too many conference tie-ins for highly rated BCS schools, and hell, there are still 2 teams from Non-AQ conferences that are unbeaten, and some with one loss that have more brand recognition. I don't like it any more than anyone else here does, but itz tr00f.

Of the mid to low tier bowls, the NO Bowl makes sense from a logistical standpoint. Why travel to Nevada or Boise or whatever to play in the Godknowswhere.com Bowl when it benefits the program just as much to play in NO and collect the same, if not more, of a payout?

Default Re: Another bowl game besides the NO Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDrummer10 View Post
    So I hear all the talk about the new orleans bowl being where UL will be heading.

But let's say UL finishes 11-110-2.something along that line.We would most likely be highly considered to be in the top 25.We would most likely get a bid to a better bowl game.would we take that or even consider it?
    Today most bowls have tie-ins to specific conferences. Unless those conferences can't fill their slots the bowls are obligated to take them. So that is highly unlikely.

"Better" is subjective. You don't get a much better city for a bowl, or a better travel arrangement for fans. Better payout? I've looked and I just don't see any other bowls that pay out enough more to justify a change. We don't go play on the blue smurf turf for 250K. Now if the Meineke bowl calls us from Houston you have to listen to their 1.7 million reasons.

We also need to keep in mind that the New Orleans bowl wants us there. If we snub them for a slightly better bowl it may have ramifications in future years.

Now if we can land an BCS bowl game and rack in a 17 million dollar payout I think everyone would understand. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    A bowl with a much larger payout than the NO Bowl will want a name brand team playing. This includes your BCS bowls and high-tier non-BCS bowls. UL is not going to one of these. Too many conference tie-ins for highly rated BCS schools, and hell, there are still 2 teams from Non-AQ conferences that are unbeaten, and some with one loss that have more brand recognition. I don't like it any more than anyone else here does, but itz tr00f.

Of the mid to low tier bowls, the NO Bowl makes sense from a logistical standpoint. Why travel to Nevada or Boise or whatever to play in the Godknowswhere.com Bowl when it benefits the program just as much to play in NO and collect the same, if not more, of a payout?

That about sums it up perfectly!!!

Doesn't the Sun Belt have a contract with the N.O. Bowl to send its champion?

Think about all the Cam Newtons we could buy with $17 million

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    Think about all the Cam Newtons we could buy with $17 million

shhhhhhhhh. don't let the cat out of the bag

Quote Originally Posted by locoguano View Post
    Doesn't the Sun Belt have a contract with the N.O. Bowl to send its champion?
    I believe there are provisions that allow the N.O. Bowl to choose any eligible Belt team as long as the conference champ can be placed in another Bowl. Likewise, if the champ has an opportunity for a better bowl the conference can opt out, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I believe there are provisions that allow the N.O. Bowl to choose any eligible Belt team as long as the conference champ can be placed in another Bowl. Likewise, if the champ has an opportunity for a better bowl the conference can opt out, IIRC.
    If UL is not conference champ, does the conference champion have to agree to opt out of the N.O. Bowl and go to another bowl before they can choose UL?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    If UL is not conference champ, does the conference champion have to agree to opt out of the N.O. Bowl and go to another bowl before they can choose UL?
    I'm not sure of the specific details. I don't know if the conference can just arbitrarily make that decision or if the teams have to agree. Guess it depends on the details of the Memorandum of Understanding.

11. Default Re: Another bowl game besides the NO Bowl

A better payout is more or less what I was implying here.The amount of money we'll bring to the NO bowl will be amazing

As a member of the band,i'd love to travel somewhere far away since we'd get a full paid trip out of it.but beggers can't be choosersany bowl is good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    No, they don't need to agree. They must be accomodated. Last year as the conference champ, FIU got sent to Detroit. They were not happy. But New Orleans wanted Troy and godaddy.com wanted MT.

We really need to get off this "better bowl" stuff. Once the big bowls are contractually filled, there isn't anything that would be better than New Orleans.

Besides, if you're win-starved fans are going to their first bowl in 41 years, the BEST place to have it is a place where they can go and see their team play. And, have a helluva party all at the same time.

New Orleans is the BEST bowl the Cajuns could have.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDrummer10 View Post
    A better payout is more or less what I was implying here.The amount of money we'll bring to the NO bowl will be amazing

As a member of the band,i'd love to travel somewhere far away since we'd get a full paid trip out of it.but beggers can't be choosersany bowl is good enough!
    I get what you're saying (I was in POA a while back). I can guarantee you, though, if you've never played in the Superdome before a BIG crowd, you'll WANT to take this SHORT trip!!!

14. Default

This is my second year in the POA and both years we played at halftime for a saints gamebut to play in front of a crowd the is more than likely 80% if not more UL fans,would be simply amazing.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    No, they don't need to agree. They must be accomodated. Last year as the conference champ, FIU got sent to Detroit. They were not happy. But New Orleans wanted Troy and godaddy.com wanted MT.

We really need to get off this "better bowl" stuff. Once the big bowls are contractually filled, there isn't anything that would be better than New Orleans.

Besides, if you're win-starved fans are going to their first bowl in 41 years, the BEST place to have it is a place where they can go and see their team play. And, have a helluva party all at the same time.

New Orleans is the BEST bowl the Cajuns could have.
    Without a doubt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information