Thread: Spin on the ball

Default Spin on the ball

I played reciever for a couple years in high school but always had a right handed QB throw to me.

I noticed at the game when D Mo came in for Babb that a couple passes were dropped, expecially when cought with the body. Someone I was with was saying that the recievers were not used to the left handed spin on the ball. You don't realize it but it feels different. That just got me thinking. It's not an excuse for the recievers. I was just wondering if anyone has ever herd that or thought about it. :confused:

UL Football Re: Spin on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob
    I played reciever for a couple years in high school but always had a right handed QB throw to me.

I noticed at the game when D Mo came in for Babb that a couple passes were dropped, expecially when cought with the body. Someone I was with was saying that the recievers were not used to the left handed spin on the ball. You don't realize it but it feels different. That just got me thinking. It's not an excuse for the recievers. I was just wondering if anyone has ever herd that or thought about it. :confused:
    Sounds plausible.I am no expert, just some old fart that goes to games wearing rose colored glasses, or so I was told.

Default Re: Spin on the ball

bottom line is. many things can throw off the flight of a ball.spin included, but i can catch a pass from a left handed person throwing or a right handed person throwing. I also run a 5.2 second forty. lol. I'm not the greatest athlete, and these guys are getting scholarships to be able to catch the ball. It is a concentration thing. They dont have any excuses for dropped passes. They were just simply not mentally there.

Quote Originally Posted by campo118
    bottom line is. many things can throw off the flight of a ball.spin included, but i can catch a pass from a left handed person throwing or a right handed person throwing. I also run a 5.2 second forty. lol. I'm not the greatest athlete, and these guys are getting scholarships to be able to catch the ball. It is a concentration thing. They dont have any excuses for dropped passes. They were just simply not mentally there.
    Like a said, Im in no way making excuses for the recievers, it's not like they never caught a pass from D Mo in practice, The situation in the game just brought up the point I had never really thought about.

Remembering back to my high school days does make a little difference, but very very very minor.

Now when you have a defender breathing down your neck with a hand in your face on 3rd and 10 and you need the first down in front of 18,000 people knowing that if you pick your arms up to catch the ball the linebacker sprinting towards you will get a free shot at your ribs, that makes a big difference.

If you can concentrate on the ball enough to block all that out of your mind then you can easily handle the ball spin.

Doesn't a baseball spin different from a lefty?

7. Default Re: Spin on the ball

Left handed pitchers generally get a little more movement on the ball. It tails more as it approaches the plate. A lefty's curve also breaks into right hander hitters while a righty's curve breaks down and away from right handed batters.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun111
    Left handed pitchers generally get a little more movement on the ball. It tails more as it approaches the plate. A lefty's curve also breaks into right hander hitters while a righty's curve breaks down and away from right handed batters.
    I no the difference it was just meant as a joke. Thanks JMVCAJUNS

UL Football Re: Spin on the ball

On a lefty the ball tails away like a screw ball in baseball. Not an excuse but a little practice seeing it helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob

One thing that you have to think about is D Mo will have better timing with the second string WR b/c he was the second string QB. Babb always throw to the first string WR (sampy and smith) at practice and D Mo always throw to the second string. Just something to think about.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Spin on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    Sounds plausible.I am no expert, just some old fart that goes to games wearing rose colored glasses, or so I was told.

Thread Information