Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Bowl - Board Member Info

Default Re: New orleans Bowl - Board Member Info

I'm booked up as well. Got a room for $150 I consider that reasonable.

No way Houston is in the NO bowl. Sorry guy.

Someone called into Jay's show this week and asked him which "better" bowl he thought we'd end up in, and Jay said EMPHATICALLY that he thought we'd go to New Orleans this year. His reasons were. 1) the close proximity would yield the greatest number of fans being able to attend, and 2) All these Cajun fans going down to N.O. for one HELL of a Party!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Someone called into Jay's show this week and asked him which "better" bowl he thought we'd end up in, and Jay said EMPHATICALLY that he thought we'd go to New Orleans this year. His reasons were. 1) the close proximity would yield the greatest number of fans being able to attend, and 2) All these Cajun fans going down to N.O. for one HELL of a Party!
    I agree. Obviously, we're still talking hypothetically at this point. but I'd actually like to see us end up in the NO Bowl first. for the reasons given. It will afford us the, by far, largest fan attendance. a huge party. a great local venue. a regional competitive matchup. a great regional recruiting bump. the best NO Bowl in history. and a new state perception in fan interest level and a new identity that clearly sets us apart from the other state programs all perceived to be our "equals".

Any bowl would be great. and before one of the worry-warts that thinks that fans talking about it is going to create a different outcome (dumber than a box of rocks thinking). even though some of the other potential bowls at our disposal. if our final record affords it. would have a broader nationally televised audience. it probably wouldn't be as much of an impact on our program. The NO Bowl is the right bowl at the right time for an emerging UL football program.

I'd also like it to substantiate to the rest of the SBC that when we've always promoted ourselves as the best fanbase in the SBC, we'll put our money where our mouth is at the NO Bowl. unlike so many of them.

Yes. of course. our team has to take care of business one game at a time. We all know that. Geaux Cajuns!

Considering how we hear that teams usually lose money on bowls I think the NO Bowl may be the best location for us. Due to the close proximity expenses for the University might not be as great as they would be if we had to travel to another bowl. And of course, more of our fans would be likely to travel to New Orleans for the game Thames if we were in some more distant city such as Detroit or St. Petersburg, San Diego, etc.

5. Default Re: New Orleans Bowl - Board Member Info

Aside from the BCS bowls and a few other bowls (for the most part) schools make money on bowls by selling their allotment of tickets.

If and when UL makes it to their next bowl, make sure you buy your tickets through the athletic department.

Default Re: New Orleans Bowl - Board Member Info

UL vs Southern Miss in the NO bowl would be the ideal setup IMHO. Dome would be packed, and we would be playing somewhat of a regional rival, one who we are competing with for talent.

We would sell our allotment, make money, and could win a game that would help recruiting. All in all a dream scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I'm booked up as well. Got a room for $150 I consider that reasonable.
    The Astor Crowne Plaza at Canal/Bourbon has NO Bowl rooms for $75/night.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: New orleans Bowl - Board Member Info

Don't worry, I don't think this man knows how to have a letdown!! Remember this!

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jcstewart View Post
    The Astor Crowne Plaza at Canal/Bourbon has NO Bowl rooms for $75/night.
    Hey stew, can you PM me the link you used for this hotel deal?

I must come forward and be selfish. I hope we go to the Godaddy Bowl. For whatever reason, I planned my honeymoon before football season and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I will be on an island in the Carribbean on December 17.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    Hey stew, can you PM me the link you used for this hotel deal?
    Stew you have a PM from me as well!

Check your PM's

boom goes the dynamite!

A better bowl??

Better location? Well you can't get much better in terms of location. I mean a two hour drive, the Superdome, and New Orleans is a fun place to visit. So I just don't see anything here that would be better.

More prestige? Unless you are talking a BCS bowl I don't think many people diffirentiate between the rest of them. Even if we win out the BCS formula isn't going to put us in one of their bowls. The New Orleans bowl has previously had good TV ratings. I think we are good here.

More money? Incremental at best. I looked at all the bowl payouts and almost all the bowls that we would have a shot at aren't far out of the range that the New Orleans bowl pays. The Independence Bowl pays somewhere around 1.2 mil but most of the rest are below 800K. Most would also require considerably more in the way of travel expenses.

Bottom line is that I think the New Orleans bowl is a great fit. It's good for the team, expenses, and fans. Until we are busting into the BCS I'm more than happy with a trip to New Orleans.

The only 2 bowls that are contractually obligated to host a Sun Belt team is the New Orleans Bowl and the GoDaddy.com Bowl. Every other bowl has contracts with other conferences. As I understand it, even if we don't lose another game all year, the only way we go to a "better" bowl is if the other bowl can't fill that spot with their contractually-obligated conference team.

The N.O. Bowl can pick any team that is bowl-eligible, even if that team is not the conference champion. The caveat with this is that the conference champion has to be accommodated first. If we win the conference, N.O. will invite us and the only way we don't go is if we are invited to and choose to go to another bowl that can't fill their contractually-obligated spot. Even if we don't win the conference championship and are bowl eligible, N.O. Bowl would still like us because of our proximity and fan base - they've made that relatively public over the past few years.

But here's a possible scenario: Let's say that stAte happens to win the conference and we are bowl-eligible. GoDaddy would probably invite stAte because they would rather a conference champion. But stAte declines the invitation and would rather go to N.O. for whatever reason. And nobody else invites stAte. N.O. must then take stAte and we would go to GoDaddy Bowl.

At least, that's how I understand it.

But in my opinion, there isn't a "better" bowl than New Orleans at this time. Maybe down the road, but even if we finish 10-2, I still think its the best option.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information