Central Florida coach George O'Leary was waiting until two seconds remained to call his last time out here Saturday.

He was convinced that the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns had 12 men on the field as they lined up to defend John Brown's 28-yard field goal. But he didn't expect his team to snap the ball with six seconds left.

"I was trying to figure out what happened," O'Leary said. "I was going to go right to the officials and call time out. We shouldn't have snapped it to begin with."

Brown pulled the first try wide right, but someone on the Cajun sideline had yelled for a time out just before the kick and the time out was granted by the Conference USA officials crew. After the break, Brown made the difference in the Golden Knights' 24-21 win over a disappointed UL squad.

"I was going to call time out," said Cajun coach Rickey Bustle. "But I felt they (UCF) were too rushed, so I wasn't going to call it. Everybody gets a little crazy on the sideline in that situation, but I was hoping they'd rush it too much."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com