Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tulane could play at Cajun Field

1. NCAA Tulane could play at Cajun Field

Tulane University's football odyssey around Louisiana may include a stop in Lafayette in two weeks.

KRIV-TV in Houston reported Tuesday the Oct. 8 Tulane-University of Houston game, originally scheduled for the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, will be played at the University of Louisiana's Cajun Field.

Tulane staff members would not confirm the move Tuesday evening, saying only that the Green Wave administration is working to secure sites for Tulane's remaining home football games.

Tulane announced Sunday that its Oct. 1 game against Southeastern Louisiana had been moved to LSU's Tiger Stadium, and the Green Wave played its Sept. 17 game against Mississippi State in Shreveport.

Houston associate athletic director Chris Burkhalter said Tuesday that his school had received no confirmation of a site, adding that Tulane had promised an announcement on a location later this week.

The rest of the story

2. UL Football Tulane set to play in Lafayette

Football teams from Tulane and the University of Houston will stage the modern-day equivalent of meeting halfway on Saturday, Oct. 8.

The Green Wave and the Cougars will play their Conference USA West Division game at the University of Louisiana's Cajun Field on that date, with a 5 p.m. kickoff for the nationally televised (i Network, formerly PAX-TV) contest.

Tulane, displaced from its Louisiana Superdome home by Hurricane Katrina, played its first "home" game against Mississippi State at Shreveport's Independence Stadium last Saturday. The Green Wave's second home game against Southeastern La. on Oct. 1 will be at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

"It's great to be able to play our third straight home game in our home state," said Tulane athletic director Rick Dickson. "We know a lot of our fans have relocated along the I-10 corridor from Baton Rouge to Houston, and with its central location in that region, Lafayette will be a great site."

UL interim athletic director David Walker said Wednesday Tulane had requested use of the stadium last week, and Green Wave associate athletics director Scott Sidwell came to Lafayette Monday to meet with UL officials and see the facilities.

"They played in Shreveport and didn't draw very well," Walker said. "They were looking for a site and we wanted to help if we could. They're in a bind this year."

Tulane's football team is headquartered in Ruston, attending classes at and sharing football facilities with La. Tech. The Green Wave's athletic teams are scattered at Tech, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and SMU with a central office staff in Dallas, after Katrina's aftermath forced Tulane to suspend fall semester classes.

Walker said Tulane will pay game expenses, but Cajun Field will be provided rent-free and Tulane will keep all ticket proceeds. Tulane 2005 season ticket holders will be able to pick up advance tickets for the Houston game at a site to be determined.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Tulane set to play in Lafayette

I'm glad we're able to be a good neighbor.

I will go and watch the game.

Default Re: Tulane could play at Cajun Field

The question is, Would a true Cajun fan go the game and wear Tulane gear?

I would seriously consider it if they guaranteed to renew our rivalry on the football field and baseball diamond on a rotating home and away basis.

I may go to the game wearing UL gear.

I will go to the game wearing cajun gear also.

I'll be there wearing cajun gear for two main reasons:

It'll be a good game to watch
    Its FREE with my student id

I think we're missing an opportunity to raise money for hurricane relief. This matchup is a natural for that: Katrina hits New Orleans, and Rita almost hits Houston. The symbology of the two hurricane-hit areas meeting in the middle for hurricane relief would be very powerful.

Tulane should take what it needs to cover expenses, and the rest of the money should go to the Red Cross. Promote it like that, and I'll almost guarantee you you'll have a sellout.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill
    I think we're missing an opportunity to raise money for hurricane relief. This matchup is a natural for that: Katrina hits New Orleans, and Rita almost hits Houston. The symbology of the two hurricane-hit areas meeting in the middle for hurricane relief would be very powerful.

Tulane should take what it needs to cover expenses, and the rest of the money should go to the Red Cross. Promote it like that, and I'll almost guarantee you you'll have a sellout.
    What if we promote it like that & we keep the money for beer.Hey, it's all legal in Louisiana. Well, gotta go do some looting now like I learned from watching New Orleans TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    What if we promote it like that & we keep the money for beer.Hey, it's all legal in Louisiana. Well, gotta go do some looting now like I learned from watching New Orleans TV.
    As long as they are Heinekens! Earning it is for Suckas!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    Better swing by the Wal Mart before the AWOL NO cops get all the good stuff.

UL Football Re: Tulane set to play in Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan
    I will go and watch the game.
    So will I, and a good game I think it will be.

DaddyCajun!

i will be there , im from new orleans originally and used to go tulane games through out high school. im happy they are doing well with playing in state.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    I'm glad we're able to be a good neighbor.
    We could be good neighbors every other season in several sports but it won't happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information