Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: TrackFieldXC 2005-06

1. Track & Field Luke Moody out, Kyle Ward finishes 2nd at Sun Belt Conference Indoor Championships

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The University of Louisiana track team grabbed three places on both the men's and women's sides, but was dealt a major blow Saturday on the first day of action in the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships.

Sophomore hurdler/high jumper Luke Moody of Rayne suffered a fall during the men's high jump competition, one which resulted in a broken leg. Moody underwent successful surgery Saturday evening at a Murfreesboro hospital.

Moody was expected to be one of UL's best bets for league honors, ranking third in the league in the 55-meter hurdles entering the two-day conference meet being hosted by Middle Tennessee at the Murphy Center.

The Cajun men stand ninth of nine teams after Saturday's first four completed events with three points, while the women's squad is ninth of 10 teams with eight points after Saturday's six women's events.

Much of Saturday's schedule was made up of running event preliminaries, with finals in five field events and 16 running events set for today's final session.

Host Middle Tennessee leads the men's race after four events with 38 points, with Arkansas State, North Texas and South Alabama all close behind with 29, 27 and 25 respectively.

Favored North Texas has a narrow 47-45 1/2 lead over South Alabama in the women's meet heading into today.

The rest of the story

[quote

2. Track & Field Sprints highlight Cajun track team’s day at Sun Belt meet

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The few high points that the University of Louisiana track and field team had at the Sun Belt Conference Indoor Championships Sunday came in the shortest races.

A runner-up finish by Kyle Ward in the men's 55-meter hurdles and two of the top six places in the men's 55-meter dash highlighted UL's performance in the two-day meet that wrapped up Sunday at Middle Tennessee's Murphy Center.

Ward had a personal-best 7.41 clocking in the hurdles, finishing behind only Middle Tennessee's Linnie Yarbrough (7.34) to earn all-conference honors. In the 55-meter, Mikey Istre finished fourth at 6.41 and football wide receiver Jason Chery was sixth in 6.42.

The rest of the story

3. Track & Field 21st annual Louisiana Classics Track and Field Meet

For the first time since its inauguration almost two decades ago, the Louisiana Classics Track and Field Meet will also serve as the outdoor season opener for the University of Louisiana squad.

That's not how Ragin' Cajun coach Lance Veazey wanted things to be, but it's a fact of life after the hurricane-related cancellation of last weekend's UNO Invitational.

"It sets us back a week," Veazey said of losing the UNO meet. "But what it did do was give us a week to regroup after the indoor season and after Mardi Gras, and give us the week to really get back into it and get ready to go outdoors."

UL's men's and women's squads will face a 12-school field in the 21st annual event, which begins tonight with competition in the women's and men's 10,000-meter runs at 7 and 8 p.m. respectively at the Cajun Track/Soccer Complex.

Saturday's full day of competition begins at 11 a.m. with the men's javelin and the women's long jump. Running events kick off with the 3,000-meter steeplechase at 11:30 a.m.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

4. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns open at home

Joshua Falgout and Amanda Bartlett claimed the first championships of the 21st annual Louisiana Classics Track and Field Meet Friday evening at the University of Louisiana Track/Soccer Complex.

UL's Falgout won the men's 10,000-meter title with a personal-best 33:21.44 time, while UL Monroe's Bartlett captured the women's crown with a 40:53.44 clocking.

UL's Suzanne Boudreaux finished third in the women's 10K, topping her previous career best by over a minute with a 41:24.24 time.

The rest of the story

5. Default The State of UL Track

The State of UL Track has fallen off the high horse that Charles Lancon put it on. It is my belief that the only reason Lance Veazey (who is a great person) is still the head track coach at UL is because he never will rock the boat and the administration can tell him whatever they want for him to do and he will do it.

The program has gone from conference champs every year, to the bottom of the barrel as of the last indoor conference championship.

Local kids are not recruited.and if you know anything aboout track, Acadiana alone, much less New Orleans and Lake Charles have enough kids to bring UL back to the top third of the Sunbelt.

Tim Lemaire does a good job with the distance kids.

But.what happened to the throwers??? There are no javelin throwers, no shot or discus people and on top of that, the school is paying a guy to coach the throws that never even goes to practice, who shunned UL to go to college out of state and has been busted for using steroids.

The LA Classics meet today was nothing like those under Charles Lancon. Veazey does not get out and promote his program like Lancon. THERE IS NO DISCIPLINE ALSO.listen to this story: Two high school students witnessed a fist fight Thursday on the track between two UL runners. One girl just punched the other and dropped her to the ground and Veazey was no where even around.I was told that last year a male sprinter slapped a female sprinter on the track.What is happening?

I am making a call for action! Something needs to be done!

Bring back Boo Shexnayder as head coach, hire Charlie Mafouz, there are a bunch of X track guys that coach high school now that can take UL back to domination in track. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

6. Default The State of UL Track

The State of UL Track has fallen off the high horse that Charles Lancon put it on. It is my belief that the only reason Lance Veazey (who is a great person) is still the head track coach at UL is because he never will rock the boat and the administration can tell him whatever they want for him to do and he will do it.

The program has gone from conference champs every year, to the bottom of the barrel as of the last indoor conference championship.

Local kids are not recruited.and if you know anything aboout track, Acadiana alone, much less New Orleans and Lake Charles have enough kids to bring UL back to the top third of the Sunbelt.

But.what happened to the throwers??? There are no javelin throwers, no shot or discus people and on top of that, the school is paying a guy to coach the throws that never even goes to practice, who shunned UL to go to college out of state and has been busted for using steroids.

The LA Classics meet today was nothing like those under Charles Lancon. Veazey does not get out and promote his program like Lancon. THERE IS NO DISCIPLINE ALSO.listen to this story: Two high school students witnessed a fist fight Thursday on the track between two UL runners. One girl just punched the other and dropped her to the ground and Veazey was no where even around.I was told that last year a male sprinter slapped a female sprinter on the track.What is happening?

Bring back Boo Shexnayder as head coach, hire Charlie Mafouz, there are a bunch of X track guys that coach high school now that can take UL back to domination in track. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!

Track & Field Re: UL Track

I agree!!

Maybe, write a letter to the editor of the DA.

DaddyCajun

Track & Field Re: UL Track

I agree!!

Maybe, write a letter to the editor of the DA.

DaddyCajun

9. Default Istre enjoys third-place finish

Mikey Istre said that he may have to change his season goals.

The freshman sprinter took a third in the 200-meter and a fourth in the 100-meter Saturday against a strong state field in the 21st annual Louisiana Classics meet, providing one of the highlights for the host University of Louisiana squad.

Istre, though, may be disappointed when he gets his official times. A collapse of the automated timing system forced the meet to use manual times, and some of the 100-meter dash heats had faulty times.

Istre, a product of Crowley, left Cajun Track Saturday thinking he had a 10.34 time. His actual time was 10.59 in that event, but he came back later with a solid 21.42 clocking in the 200-meter.

"It felt really good for this early in the season," Istre said. "My goal in the 200 is 21.2 and in the 100 it was 10.4, so I reached my goal. I didn't think I'd get to those times this fast."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Endurance Training Re: The State of UL Track

Quote Originally Posted by old track guy

I would suggest a discussion with Veazey first of all.

I know of quite a few kids from the Acadiana area that are on the team. And a few that were recruited by the Cajuns but signed somewhere else.

P.S. - When you made your post yesterday you should have been at the track like I was. LOL. Got a little chilly late Saturday afternoon.
    Oh and I do have concerns about the team also. The quality of our recruits is not where it needs to be.

Endurance Training Re: The State of UL Track

Quote Originally Posted by old track guy

I know of quite a few kids from the Acadiana area that are on the team. And a few that were recruited by the Cajuns but signed somewhere else.

P.S. - When you made your post yesterday you should have been at the track like I was. LOL. Got a little chilly late Saturday afternoon.
    Oh and I do have concerns about the team also. The quality of our recruits is not where it needs to be.

12. Track & Field Re: 21st annual Louisiana Classics Track and Field Meet

According to the Advocate there was no team scoring for the Louisiana Classics meet.

Correct me if I am wrong; Doesn't that mean it's just a bunch of individuals out there competing?

Anyone know the reason for the format?

Endurance Training Re: 21st annual Louisiana Classics Track and Field Meet

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    According to the Advocate there was no team scoring for the Louisiana Classics meet.

Correct me if I am wrong; Doesn't that mean it's just a bunch of individuals out there competing?

Anyone know the reason for the format?
    Don't know. I just don't put much stock in team scoring for a college track meet until you get to meets that count. Conference and National Championships are the only two I can think of.

Another strange thing I saw yesterday at the meet was Northwestern ran a 3 X 400 relay while everyone else ran a 4 X 400.

14. This is so COOL Re: The State of UL Track

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cajun

I was but had to leave early for family obligations and sheer disgust of what has become of a past dynasty.

15. This is so COOL Re: The State of UL Track

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cajun

I was but had to leave early for family obligations and sheer disgust of what has become of a past dynasty.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information