Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lady Cajuns Soccer 2005

1. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns Soccer 2005

A new coach, a new home and a new approach paint an optimistic picture for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns as they sharpen their game for Friday's opener of the women's soccer season.

Coach Scot Wieland, who takes over for departed program founder Dave Poggi, pits his squad against Southern Mississippi on Friday in Hattiesburg and then christens the team's new field at Cajun Track with a 1 p.m. home opener against Tulsa next Sunday.

"The players have been amazingly positive from top to bottom," Wieland said. "They're enthusiastic, and you never know coming in if that will be the case. There has been absolutely no resentment."

Meredith Smith of Baytown, Texas, is one reason Wieland has been able to point the squad in a positive direction after last year's 7-10-2 finish.

"Meredith is our senior captain, and it's nice to come into a program and have someone like her," Wieland said. "She's a very good player, and she's the kind who can speak about something in any way and the girls will respect her.

"Most times she doesn't have to say anything."

The four-player senior class includes Smith, midfielder Ainsley Breaux of St. Thomas More, forward * Brown and midfielder Rachel Rozelle. They will help set the tone for a squad that has 20 freshmen and sophomores.

By this time next year, Wieland's style and methods will be well established. But 2005 is a year of transition.

"Seniors are important, but top to bottom the work rate and enthusiasm have been tremendous," Wieland said. "That's providing our motivation. I've pushed them hard, and they've responded 110 percent."

The new look includes a switch in style on the field.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

UL Soccer Re: SOCCER: Season Opener Friday

It sounds as if we have found a coach that understands that he is coaching women and from what I here the excitement on the roster is real. His comment regarding no resentment whithin the team regarding the coaching change just reinforces that the players were not happy nor were they responding to Poggi. Good Luck Futbollers!!!!!

3. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns 2 -- Lady Golden Eagles 5

HATTIESBURG, Miss.- Four Southern Mississippi (1-1) goals in the first thirty minutes of the match proved too much for Louisiana (0-1), as the Lady Cajuns soccer team kicked off the 2005 campaign with a 5-2 loss.

"Despite the score, I was really pleased with the way we played tonight," Scott Wieland said after his first game as the Ragin' Cajuns' head coach. "It was a good learning experience for both the players and the coaches."

The Cajuns scored only two goals on eight shots, allowed five goals on 21 shots.

The Golden Eagles were the first to scratch the scoreboard as Sarah McFadden scored at the 9:32 mark.

Freshman midfielder and Hurst, Texas product Dannae DeVahl scored her first collegiate goal at the 10:10 minute mark to put UL on the scoreboard and tie the match at one goal apiece.

USM took the lead at the 20:17 mark and never looked back. Southern Miss scored two more goals in the first half and one in the second to take a 5-1 lead before sophomore Taunya Geelhoed scored at the 72:03 mark.

"We learned a lot tonight and made some changes," Wieland added. "After the first 30-minutes of the game we made some changes and held them to just one goal in the last 60-minutes of the match. In the last 60-minutes of the game, the score was 1-1, which is something we can build on."

Freshman Stephanie Weston got the start at goal for the Cajuns. The Burnaby, British Columbia native allowed all five goals, making four saves.

The Cajuns will return home to Lafayette on Sunday, Aug. 28 when they will take on Tulsa in the home opener. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. The match marks the first match played on the soccer field in the newly renovated Cajuns' Track/Soccer Facility.

LOUISIANA SI

4. UL Soccer UL/LSU soccer match has been

LOUISIANA La. -The University of Louisiana's soccer match originally scheduled for Noon on Sunday, Sept. 4 against Louisiana State has been moved from Baton Rogue to Lafayette and is now scheduled for 1 p.m.

The move is due to the after effects of Hurricane Katrina. LSU's campus is currently sheltering and aiding victims of the hurricane.

Officials in the Baton Rogue area are trying to keep traffic into the city to a minimum and the two universities felt that the move was needed to prevent further traffic onto the campus.

"It is unfortunate that we get a home match because of something like this," UL head coach Scot Wieland stated. "We really understand and sympathize due to what has happened in New Orleans. We don't want a home match under these conditions.

"But it worked out to where neither one of us has to lose a match," Wieland added. "With all the games being suspended in Baton Rogue, it worked out for us. We were able to get the officials and everything. Luckily, it was convenient and close enough to get it done. It worked out for both teams."

The addition this home match now gives the Cajuns seven straight home matches beginning with Friday's contest with Northwestern State. The Ragin' Cajuns will not play away from the new Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility until Friday, Sept. 30.

The Ragin' Cajuns will host in-state foe Northwestern State on Friday, Sept. 2 at 7:00 p.m. before hosting the Tigers on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.

LOUISIANA SI

5. UL Soccer Louisiana's Lady Cajun soccer team to host NWSU & LSU

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana's Lady Cajun soccer team is set to host in-state foes Northwestern State and Louisiana State this weekend. The NSU match is set for 7:00 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 2, while the LSU contest is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 4. Both matches will be held at the new Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility.

The Ragin' Cajuns (0-1-1) take on the Northwestern State Demons (2-0-0) on Friday. The match between the Cajuns and the Demons marks the fifth time in the program's history that the two teams will meet. NSU leads the series 3-1.

The last time the two teams met was Sept. 12, 2003, when the Ragin' Cajuns slipped by the Demons, 2-1, in Natchitoches.

The second match of the weekend, with LSU, was originally scheduled to be played in Baton Rogue. The move is due to the after effects of Hurricane Katrina. LSU's campus is currently sheltering and aiding victims of the hurricane.

Officials in the Baton Rogue area are trying to keep traffic into the city to a minimum and the two universities felt that the move was needed to prevent further traffic onto the campus.

The addition of this home match now gives the Cajuns seven straight home matches beginning with Friday's contest with Northwestern State. The Ragin' Cajuns will not play away from the new Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility until Friday, Sept. 30.

Last time for UL, the Ragin' Cajuns women's soccer team opened their new soccer field at the renovated Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility with a double overtime match against Tulsa that resulted in a 1-1 tie. The Cajuns were the first to scratch the scoreboard as Erika Saffer took a pass from Lindsay Webb on the right side and punched it in at the 24:22 mark. The goal was the first of Saffer's collegiate career and also was the first goal scored at the new soccer facility.

LOUISIANA SI

6. UL Soccer UL & LSU go into overtime. UL drops 0-1 decision

In what was an extremely physical match, which featured 29 fouls and four yellow cards, the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns soccer team dropped a 1-0 overtime decision to the LSU Tigers here Sunday afternoon.

"The game was very physical," Cajuns first year head coach Scot Wieland said. "But soccer is a physical game and you have to be strong. But, I believe that the team with the most fouls at the end of the game comes away with the victory."

And that was almost the case for the Cajuns, who committed 17 fouls to 12 for the Tigers, when sophomore midfielder Kristina Nadolski raced down the left side of the field and fired a shot that just tailed to the right of the goal in the 92nd minute of the game.

That proved to be the final opportunity the Cajuns would have, because inside of the 97th minute, Tigers forward Joleen Phillips put the game away with an empty net goal assisted by Melissa Clarke.

"I knew that I had to score," Phillips said. "I actually expected her (goalkeeper) to come out faster than she did, but she didn't and that made it easier for me to get around her."

The rest of the story

Eric Narcisse
    enarcisse@theadvertiser.com

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL & LSU go into overtime. UL drops 0-1 decision

"In the second half and in the overtime we were better," Wieland said. "We possessed the ball extremely well. I'm not trying to take anything away from LSU, because they are a great team and they have a great coach, but I feel that we were the better team." >>>>>>

Tell it like it is Coach

Z.

8. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns Soccer Downs McNeese, 1-0

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns picked up its second win of the season downing in-state rival McNeese State, 1-0, at the Cajuns' Track/Soccer Facility Friday night. Sophomore midfielder Taunya Geelhoed scored her third goal of the season to give Louisiana the win.

With the win, the Cajuns improved to 2-3-2 on the season, while the Cowgirls fell to 2-6-0. UL now leads the all-time series with McNeese State 2-0-1.

Offensively, the Cajuns were led by Geelhoed, who made her second match winning goal of the season. On the year, Geelhoed has three goals, which is half of the Cajuns' total for the season.

Oliver, a freshman from Texas City, Texas, dug out the ball in the right corner of the field. She sailed a pass to a charging Geelhoed for the goal. The assist was Oliver's team leading second of the year.

Defensively for the Cajuns, goalkeeper Stephanie Weston rebounded from an uncharacteristic performance against Oklahoma State - allowing five goals - to hold the Cowgirls scoreless. The shutout was the second of her career with the Cajuns. Weston's previous shutout came against Northwestern State on Sept. 2.

As a team, the Ragin' Cajuns out shot McNeese, 12-to-6 and posted four more shots on goal (6-to-2).

UL will return to action on Friday, Sept. 23, when the Ragin' Cajuns will play host to the Houston Cougars. Houston leads the all-time series 2-1 taking a 2-1 overtime win in the last meeting in Houston in 2002. The match will mark the first time the Cougars have ever traveled to Lafayette.

-->

9. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns Open Sun Belt with 1-0 Win Over Arkansas State

JONESBORO, Ark.-Senior Captain Meredith Smith scored her first goal of the season to give Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns a 1-0 victory over Sun Belt Conference opponent Arkansas State. The Cajuns won their second straight match of the season to improve to 3-3-2 (1-0-0 SBC) on the year.

Offensively for the Cajuns, Smith took a pass from sophomore midfielder Stephanie Lynch and put the ball in the upper corner of the net for the only score of the match.

The goal was Smith's first of the season and her first goal since August 29, 2003 when she scored the match winning goal against Jackson State in a 10-0 route of the Tigers.

The assist was the second of the season for Lynch who moved into a tie for the team lead in assists with Callie Oliver.

"I am very proud of our girls tonight," head coach Scot Wieland exclaimed. "They came out and played strong and I couldn't be prouder of them. We have had some time off so our girls were ready to play tonight and they proved that on the field tonight.

"This is a great way to start off the conference season. Our girls battled and fought hard and fortunately we were able to come away with a win. Hopefully, we can carry this momentum into Sunday's match."

Defensively for the Cajuns, freshman Stephanie Weston recorded her second straight shutout. For the season, Weston has three shutouts, which places her in a tie for fourth in the Ragin' Cajuns all-time career shutout list.

"I thought Stephanie did a solid job tonight for us at goal," Wieland added. "She had some solid saves and was able to fight off some good shots."

The Ragin' Cajuns will continue their trip across Arkansas as UL will face off against Arkansas-Little Rock on Sunday, Oct. 2 at 1 p.m.

LOUISIANA SI

10. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns Set to Host Denver TODAY

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns women's soccer team is set to host Sun Belt Conference foe Denver on Sunday, Oct. 9. The match is set to kickoff at 1:00 p.m. at the Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility.

For the season, Louisiana-La. is 3-5-2 (1-2-0 SBC) and Denver is 6-5-1 (3-0-0 SBC).

The Cajuns are 0-7 all-time against the Pioneers. UL faced Denver twice last season falling 3-2 during the regular season and getting edged 1-0 in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

The 2004 regular season match, marked the only time in the series between the two teams that the Cajuns scored a goal against Denver.

The Ragin' Cajuns are coming off of a heartbreaking loss to North Texas on Friday. North Texas scored a goal with 25 minutes remaining in the match to take a 1-0 lead. Midfielder Kristina Nadolski had a chance to tie it for the Cajuns with 30 ticks left on the clock, but her shot on goal was just knocked away by the Mean Green goalie.

Denver enters the match coming off of a 2-1 victory over Florida International. The win gave the Pioneers a three match unbeaten streak and a perfect 3-0 conference record.

LOUISIANA SI

11. UL Soccer Lady Cajuns Soccer Ties Denver, 1-1 in Double Overtime

LOUISIANA La. - Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns women's soccer team tied the Denver Pioneers for the first time in school history Sunday at the Cajuns Track/Soccer Facility. Freshman Erika Saffer scored her second goal of the season to help the Cajuns to a 1-1 tie in double overtime.

Saffer, a freshman from Loveland, Colo., took a pass from sophomore Stephanie Lynch on the right side and put the ball in the top right corner of the goal for her second goal of the season. The goal moves Saffer into second place on the team with two goals.

The assist was Lynch's third on the season placing her first on the team.

Lynch had a chance to win the match for the Cajuns (3-5-3, 1-2-1 Sun Belt) in the double overtime period. Lynch lined up for a penalty kick in the extra frame, but her shot was blocked by Denver goalkeeper Danielle Wiley.

Freshman goalie Stephanie Weston recorded five saves in the match and only allowed one goal to the Pioneers. The one goal scored ties a low for the Cajuns against Denver.

Weston's five saves in the contest moves her into a tie for fifth all time on the Ragin' Cajuns career saves list. She ties teammate Kristen Malen with 58 career saves, just one stop behind teammate Anna Brannon.

The Cajuns entered the match with a 0-7 record against the Pioneers. Last season, UL closed the gap against Denver losing 3-2 in the regular season and falling 1-0 to the Pioneers in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament last season.

The tie with Denver (6-5-2, 3-0-1 Sun Belt) marks the first time in school history that the Cajuns have managed to take the Pioneers to overtime. Also, the match marked only the second time in school history against the Pioneers that the Ragin' Cajuns have scratched the scoreboard.

The Ragin' Cajuns will return to action on Friday, Oct. 14 as they hit the road to face Western Kentucky. The match is set to kickoff at 7:00 p.m. in Bowling Green, Ky. UL will remain on the road to finish out the weekend and take on defending Sun Belt Conference champions Middle Tennessee. The match on Sunday, Oct. 16 will begin at 1:00 p.m.

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Soccer Ties Denver, 1-1 in Double Overtime

This is great news for our soccer team!! The new coach must be getting through to the players and getting them to execute!!

(Denver lost 1-0 to #4 UCLA earlier this season)

Geaux Cajuns!!!

Default Re: Lady Cajuns Soccer Ties Denver, 1-1 in Double Overtime

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO
    This is great news for our soccer team!! The new coach must be getting through to the players and getting them to execute!!

(Denver lost 1-0 to #4 UCLA earlier this season)

Geaux Cajuns!!!
    Go Cajuns

14. UL Soccer Breaux, Smith serious in roles as UL captains

This is going to be a hard day for Meredith Smith and Ainsley Breaux.

The senior co-captains for the Louisiana Ragin' Cajun soccer team will play in their final home match when UL hosts South Alabama at 1 p.m. today, and it will be hard to leave behind a program they've helped build.

"It has meant a lot to play for a program in my hometown," said Breaux, a product of St. Thomas More. "It's a program that I watched, even when I didn't play here yet.

"We've come so far, and it will be an exciting program to watch in the years to come. It will be awesome to come back and watch them play."

"I think we've laid a foundation," said Smith, the 2004 team MVP. "Our turnover rate has been high. We only have three seniors (Rachel Rozelle is the third), instead of five or six. Every year is getting better, though."

"We had a class of 11, and there are only three of us this year," Breaux said.

Smith is tied with Natalie Hanks for No. 2 on UL's career matches list with 71 and will tie No. 1 Sherry Owens today. She takes her job as captain seriously but maintains a level head.

"I don't tell them what to do," she said. "I hope they follow my actions. I do the right thing and hope they follow me, and I feel they do that."

The rest of the story

bbrown@theadvertiser.com

15. UL Soccer LAdy Cajun Soccer Still Happening ( 8 vs 1 )

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

At 4-8-3 is there still a chance of the team getting into post season play? I don't know. But I do know with one more game left in the season there is a chance for the team to finish with 2 wins in the last 3.

My one regret this year was not getting out to watch a single game at the new soccer complex. I actually intended to go to the last home game but long lost friend rolled through town at 1pm and by the time I got out to the soccer field the game was over.

I did get there in time to meet Rob Polman Tuin with "Polman Tuin" being his last name. His daughter is Kala Polman-Tuin a sophomore on the 2005 squad who I expect to get a lot more playing time in the coming seasons.

The Polman Tuin's hail from Vernon, British Columbia Canada where Rob works as a Lumber Trader.

I just wanted to thank him and his wife for making the trek for their daughter’s last home game of the season. I know not all family can make the games of their UL student athlete children and siblings, so I wish I had taken a few pictures this year, as it might have served to connect friends and family.

Anyway it was nice to meet the Polman Tuin family, and here is to the Lady Cajuns finishing out the season on a winning note. Can they still make the Sunbelt tourney? If 1 more win does it then there is a chance.

The next opponent FIU is 3-7-4 so I don't know but I got to believe 4-8-3 has a good chance of winning 2 of their last 3

is Kala Polman Tuin and is Lady Cajun teammate Kerri Luyties of Spring Texas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information