Justin Venable's observations are laced with references to the "kids" surrounding him on Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun football roster.

It goes beyond that, though.

Consider that second-year graduate assistant coach Jonathan Raush is 11 months younger than Venable, and you get the idea how long he has been around the UL program.

His starring years at Acadiana High seem a lifetime ago for the 25-year-old Venable, the Cajuns' deep snapper and fullback who is entering his eighth season in a prodigiously long NCAA career.

"I'm on my third head coach," said Venable, who was signed by Nelson Stokley in 1998, went through three years under Jerry Baldwin and will finish his career playing for Rickey Bustle.

"I've been through four strength coaches and two and possibly three athletic directors, depending on the search they're doing right now. I think the only ones who have been around here longer are (equipment manager) Lynn Williams and (director of sports medicine) John Porche."

Venable's sometimes bizarre college career took its first detour in the 1998 LHSCA All-Star Game, when he tore his left anterior cruciate ligament and missed participating in Stokley's final season at UL.

He was a valued defensive reserve for the Cajuns in 1999, but tore his left ACL again before spring drills and missed the 2000 campaign.

The picture appeared to be clearing up in 2001 when Venable made four tackles in the first two games of the season, but he suffered a broken jaw and was on the shelf again.

In 2002, Venable earned a starting role but tore his right ACL in the third game at Houston.

Normally, NCAA athletes are allowed five years to complete their four seasons of collegiate eligibility, but after missing 42 of a possible 56 games between 1998 and 2002 Venable petitioned for an extension of his time on the field.

He was granted three extra years and responded by playing all 12 Cajun games in 2003 and all 11 outings last season.

"It's been a bumpy ride, with the knee surgeries, the rehabilitations and then the jaw incident," Venable said. "It's been tough. I'm not going to lie about it. But, I was taught never to quit. Once you start something, you finish it."

Venable gained that perspective from his father Lee, an undersized four-year letterman at center for the Cajuns from 1977-80 who played through several painful knee injuries.

"I felt I had something to prove," Venable said. "I had played only one of five years, and I felt I was still good enough to compete. I enjoy the competitiveness of it."

Venable earned a bachelor's degree in general studies in December of 2002. He has since earned a second undergraduate degree in education and is beginning work on a masters in business administration, so he's not one to waste time either on or off the field.

"I could probably tell the kids what classes and what teachers to take," Venable said with a wry smile.

For the last two seasons, Venable has proven his skills as a reliable deep snapper, a talent that goes a long way toward calming the nerves of punters, place kickers and even holders. His consistency gives them one less thing to worry about.

But this year Venable will also get the chance to contribute at fullback, adding variety to his role on the team. He's already had the chance to catch and carry the ball as well as serve as a lead blocker during the Cajun camp.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com