WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - Neil Simoneaux didn't realize what a big deal it was back in 1992.

When he and his South Lake Charles Little League teammates made their run to the Little League World Series 13 summers ago, he never saw the hoopla back home until it was over.

"We flew to the regional in St. Petersburg, Fla., and won there," Simoneaux said, "and from there we flew straight to Williamsport. We didn't really get the feeling of the whole deal at home until we got back."

That South Lake Charles team went 1-2 in the Little League World Series but still returned to a hero's welcome - much like the one the Lafayette Little League team received Sunday returning from Waco, Texas, with its Southwest Regional championship in tow.

Simoneaux went on to a standout baseball career on the high school, collegiate and professional levels, but he well remembers every detail of his team's Little League World Series trip.

"The overall experience, just being there and seeing that field that you see on TV," Simoneaux said. "Playing in front of all those people, we were pretty awe-struck."

The Lafayette squad didn't appear awe-struck Saturday when they topped Bryant, Ark., 4-1 in the Southwest finals, capping their first-ever regional appearance with their first-ever trip to the World Series. Even the distractions of national television and an appearance by President George W. Bush didn't faze the locals.

But they haven't taken the field at Williamsport yet. They'll get their first taste of the Series Saturday at 10 a.m. in the opening of pool play against New England Regional champion Westbrook, Maine. That game will be on ESPN, just like last Saturday's Southwest title game.

"I watched a couple of innings," Simoneaux said of the ESPN broadcast of the Waco finals. "I could see they have a good pitcher (Jace Conrad, who threw a complete game against Arkansas). With him on the mound they can compete with anyone there, I don't care who they're playing."

Simoneaux saw his share of good pitching in his career, especially when he helped lead Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun squad to the College World Series in 2000 and later signed with the St. Louis Cardinals organization.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com