Thread: Bustle: Fans should expect wins

1. UL Football Bustle: Fans should expect wins

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun coach Rickey Bustle brings an 11-24 record into his fourth season leading UL's football program. Cajun Fan Day was held Sunday at Cajun Field, with supporters eager to see the Cajuns earn their first winning season in a decade. Senior Sports Writer Bruce Brown talked with Bustle about the 2005 squad.

Q: What are your expectations in Year Four?

A: My expectations are for us to win more games than we lose. Before, I felt we were heading in the right direction but I didn't know how many games we would win. It's very fair for fans to expect a winning season this year.

Q: Do you and your coaches feel pressure to win?

A: I've always tried to be positive. Some days it's harder than others. Sometimes you just don't know. I try to be realistic.

Q: What is the status of (suspended) wide receiver Bill Sampy?

A: Bill has been a model citizen for us. He's signed a contract with me, and he's done everything we've asked of him and more. It's safe to say he's on a short leash. He will be ready to rejoin us on Monday (today).

Q: What position is the biggest question mark?

A: Right now, receiver is. There's not much experience there, other than Bill. We're looking at playing a couple of the young receivers.

Q: Your team lost four games by margins of 4, 3, 3 and 3 points in 2004 in a 4-7 season. What was that like?

A: We got to look around the corner, but we couldn't come around the corner. If we win a couple of those, that's the difference in having a winning season. I think we've improved every year. We need to make the plays that make a difference.

The rest of the story

Default Re: Bustle: Fans should expect wins

I certainly agree with Rickey's assessment that the time to expect a winning season has come. He's been honest with us in letting us know where he thinks we are since he's been here.

If we could average 21,000 a game in 2004, it tells me that the fans will support a winning team here. It may be tougher to match that with a Thursday night game.

Remember we achieved that with a losing record and a Friday night game at 9pm. I think a Thursday game maybe easier to draw fans to.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    Remember we achieved that with a losing record and a Friday night game at 9pm. I think a Thursday game maybe easier to draw fans to.
    Winning at Eastern Michigan is the key to having a successful season at the gate. It will be tough to draw a good opening crowd if we are 0 and 2.

UL Football Re: Bustle: Fans should expect wins

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    Winning at Eastern Michigan is the key to having a successful season at the gate. It will be tough to draw a good opening crowd if we are 0 and 2.
    Ditto, with a good showing @ Texas, and a win @ Eastern Michigan, we could be looking at a very good attendance somewhere in the mid 20,000 range. My guess is 23,500 average!!

DaddyCajun!!

Even if the crowd is not as large for a thursday night game, the tv coverage makes up for it in my opinion. With a win during a week day game you will get much more attention in the media as well because there will not be as many games on at thoughs times

Thread Information