Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still doubt that Gautier should quarterback this team?

Default Does anyone still doubt that Gautier should quarterback this team?

Not saying Blaine is perfect, because he isn't. He has a lot of work to do, but so many of you complained about 13/26 106 yards 1 rushing td and 1 interception last week against the #8 team in the country. Chris Masson managed 5/13 18 yards 0 tds and 1 int today against a much worse team, they do however have a good defensive line. He's slow to react in the pocket and doesn't make enough good throws to make up for his lack of playmaking ability. I can't even begin to count how many intentional grounding penalties he's racked up since he got the job. Yeah, the field was wet and that explains some of it, but the offense immediately started moving once Blaine got in. He only attempted two passes, one of them was a crucial completion where he was able to evade a lineman and make a nice throw on the run for a good gain. His two completions accounted for more yards than Masson managed in 3+ quarters.

For comparison's sake.

Chris Masson - 5/13 18 yards 0 tds 1 int 3 rushes for 2 yards (net gain -10 yards)
    Blaine Gautier - 2/2 28 yards 0 tds 1 fumble (that was caused by the ground) 5 rushes 43 yards

I'm sure Chris works hard and is a good leader but I'll be disappointed if Blaine doesn't start against Nicholls.

One other thing, the line has to do a better job, we can't win conference games averaging 2 yards per carry.

Default Re: Does anyone still doubt that Gautier should quarterback this team?

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    Not saying Blaine is perfect, because he isn't. He has a lot of work to do, but so many of you complained about 13/26 106 yards 1 rushing td and 1 interception last week against the #8 team in the country. Chris Masson managed 5/13 18 yards 0 tds and 1 int today against a much worse team, they do however have a good defensive line. He's slow to react in the pocket and doesn't make enough good throws to make up for his lack of playmaking ability. I can't even begin to count how many intentional grounding penalties he's racked up since he got the job. Yeah, the field was wet and that explains some of it, but the offense immediately started moving once Blaine got in. He only attempted two passes, one of them was a crucial completion where he was able to evade a lineman and make a nice throw on the run for a good gain. His two completions accounted for more yards than Masson managed in 3+ quarters.

For comparison's sake.

Chris Masson - 5/13 18 yards 0 tds 1 int 3 rushes for 2 yards (net gain -10 yards)
    Blaine Gautier - 2/2 28 yards 0 tds 1 fumble (that was caused by the ground) 5 rushes 43 yards

I'm sure Chris works hard and is a good leader but I'll be disappointed if Blaine doesn't start against Nicholls.

One other thing, the line has to do a better job, we can't win conference games averaging 2 yards per carry.
    I'm with you. I liked masson at times last year but it's looking like Blaine should be the starter this year

The main thing that concerned me about Masson was his composure. He just didn't look like himself. There's a lot of pressure in trying to cement your job, trying to get a first OOC road win, and having his main focus on not making any mistakes instead of trying to win the game.

It sucks to see him out of his groove, but I think that Gauthier fits this offense better now.

I thought that when coach Hud saw what the weather was like he would have decided to start Gauthier. I understand giving Mason a chance after last week but Gauthier’s style of play is better suited for playing in a rainstorm.

I think Blaine should start at Nicholls, but I think both will play. Someone will have to show that they can move the offense. Neither has done so effectively. Blaine lost the ball because he was stripped, not because the ground caused it.

If Blaine can show he can throw the ball and keep the chains moving, he will be the guy going forward, no doubt.

I always thought Gauthier should be the starter.

But it's really unfair to judge Mason on this game. The torrential rain would make it difficult for any qb to pass effectively. And his numbers from last season show he's a much better passer that that game showed. It's more likely he just had a bad game. It happens. I still think he's capable.

Gauthier has the nod .they need to maybe tayor his throwing ability to passing routes. I feel if he fakes it in the line and rolls out we could complete some easy short passes. Not there he can run it. Our off line needs to improve if or qbs jus back up and throw. CC

Why did the other Freshman Running back Harris not play? I do not recall.

CC

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I thought that when coach Hud saw what the weather was like he would have decided to start Gauthier. I understand giving Mason a chance after last week but Gauthier’s style of play is better suited for playing in a rainstorm.
    Not only the rainstorm but the aggressiveness of Kent St. as well.
    Hudspeth said that Masson is the Passer and that Gauthier is the Runner. Well In that type of weather facing that aggressive defense the Pass is very hard to pull off unless you have an exceptional offensive line (Which we are lacking) The game plan was to run it on the ground pounding it at em and Gauthier Vs. Kent St. would be the correct match up.

VS. OK St. who gives up big yardage vs. the Pass and was on a dry field perfect football weather I still think the matchup should have been in favor of Masson as he picked apart OK St. Last year he could have done the same this year.

I'm confident once Hud has a good idea of the dynamics of his team, he will be able to utilize them the best way he sees fit. Its only the second game that he has gotten to know his players. We ran 4 different running backs, I think he is still tryin to find his true starters and by week 4-6 he will be there. By that time we should have a record of 3-3 at worst. but I think after Nicholls, FIU and FAU we will be 3-2 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    I think Blaine should start at Nicholls, but I think both will play. Someone will have to show that they can move the offense. Neither has done so effectively. Blaine lost the ball because he was stripped, not because the ground caused it.

If Blaine can show he can throw the ball and keep the chains moving, he will be the guy going forward, no doubt.
    Assuming the weather is decent, I agree that this will be a rehearsal , if you will, for both QB's against Nicholls. It will be a game that the staff basically alternates series with each and let's them run the offense and see who can move the ball and protect it while getting to do so in a more comfortable environment at home against a team they should be able to move the ball against. I think this week will go a long way in showing the staff who has a better grasp on the offense.

You can't determine which QB is better between the two at this point. Both games presented conditions which were not ordinary for the QB. The first was a hostile, big time opponent, and our first game with this coaching staff. The 2nd was a wet down pour, with a hour or more break in the 3rd period. Neither QB has shown that they can move the offense with any consistency. There is absolutely no way Blaine comes away as a starter after last nights performance. All I see, is a bad offense right now, not just the QB. We won't be able to run the ball until we show a threat at passing and for some reason, we look pathetic with either QB in there. Maybe it's not each individual, but something with the offense that is not clicking, or something going on in practice we are not aware of. It's really just hard to say, except I hope Coach Hud gets a handle on it soon. I wouldn't be surprised if we look better next week, but that's not saying much because of our opponent. It would sure help in the confidence of the offense if either QB can get us going. Do we have a 3rd string guy we can try?

I am likely in the minority but I feel we should use a 2 QB system with Masson starting and Gauthier coming in to change the pace. Let each play close to half a game unless one is obviously more effective that day.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post

For comparison's sake.

I don't think people complained about Blaine's stats last week. The issue was regarding his throws. To say "still doubt" implies that the OSU game decided a starter. and it did not. I would say, regardless of the conditions last night, that Chris lost his "equal status" to Blaine. The start is Blaine's to lose IMO.

Another thing to consider last night is that PeeWee didn't play. I have to believe our offensive game plan probably changed considerably with him not in the game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information