Thread: Running Backs

Default Running Backs

With all the talk about our running backs I decided to do a little breakdown of who we will have in our backfield this year.

QB - Jerry Babb Jr - we can't really talk about our running game without mentioning Jerry sense he led the team in rushing last year. He should have another good year running the ball but to be successful he will have to become a more complete passer.

RB - Chester Johnson Sr - A solid runner who will be the starter to start the year but will be pushed by a talented group of backs. He finished last year with 489 yards last year for 4.2 per carry which really is not a bad average. Sure we would like to see 5 yards per carry but usually only the most elite backs get up to this number. Untill we see the freshmen play I see Chester as our most complete back as for as power, speed, and receiving skills.

RB - Dwight Lindon Sr - My personal favorite. He is our best short yardage back and finished last year with 397 yards for 3.7 yards per carry although he did finish the year with our most rushing TD's. He will make the move to be more of a fullback this year and although a tad bit small for the position it will allow us to have 2 HB type players in the backfield at the same time. He is a very good leader on and off the field and hopefully he will be able to mentor our younger backs.

RB - Deon Wallace Fresh - Our biggest name recruit from last year and probably the guy that most people are waiting to see play. I was a member on scout.com for a while and was able to see film on him and he has tremendous talent and should fit our offense well with his speed and his ability to change direction quickly. He will be watched harder than any other freshmen we have but with him our future looks bright.

RB - Abdule Levier Soph - Last year he had a little bit of a problem holding on to the football but I think we seen the true Levier during the Troy game where he rushed for 7 rushes for 53 yards. He is explosive and should turn into one of our better true HB's. He is on my list as a guy ready for a breakout year. Look for his name to appear a lot in the box scores.

RB - Caleb Rubin redshirt fresh - He had a strong showing during the spring game and had a solid high school career at Lafayette High. He is back similar to Wallace and should fit our offense nicely. After redshirting last year I'm sure he is ready to prove that he is ready for immediate playing time.

RB - Josh Harrison Jr - Did not see much playing time last year but we seen he does have the ability to break a big run again Arkansas State. With the depth that we have at running back he will have to show a lot during fall practice so he doesn't get passed up by the other backs who are getting much more attention than him. He is a smaller back but has the speed and quickness to be effective in our offense but he just has to get out and prove that he deserves to see more PT.

RB - Tyrell Fenroy fresh - Another guy that fans have high hopes for. I also have high hopes for him but its hard to put that much pressure on a freshmen. In high school he finished his career with 4,320 yards rushing and al thoug hI don't see him contributing a lot this year I see him being a key part to the future.

RB - Booker Jenkins Sr - He is our biggest back and should be a key part to our running game. During the spring game he opened up some huge holes and if can do that same thing during the season look for us to have a huge season running the ball.

RB - Chancellor Roberson Fresh - Another big guy who could step in right away for us at FB and have an impact. From what I have heard he brings a lot of power our running game. Coach likes to use the FB and he might be our best all around FB do to his size and speed. Booker is a big guy that can block and Dwight is a small guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield and be an impact in the short running game but Chancellor looks like a combination of both so he is an interesting prospect back there.

I didn't break down Derrick Smith or Jason Cherry because I see them being WR for us but they to could help out in the running game if needed. Also you can look at Michael Desormeaux who will be one of the most athletic guys on the team and when he is on the field he will have an impact with his feet, even mroe so than Babb.

Default Re: Running Backs

Wow, great job, and thanks. I am liking what I have seen and heard in many areas, my main concern is the O-line depth and linebacker size.

Are you going to review these areas also?

DaddyCajun!

I did the running backs because there had been so much talk about them on the board lately but I'll see what I can do about the O-line and LB's

UL Football Re: Running Backs

Thanks Clutch! You help make this site a must for all Cajuns.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Running Backs

Clutch...I think I'm ready to read your articles in the Advertiser! You would make a great sports analyst!

I would have to agree; until we see what the freshman will do Chester Johnson is the starter at running back. However after seeing Tyrell Fenroy a couple of times I think that he is the best back. He’s great at making the first man miss, does an excellent out of the backfield catching the ball, and is very good on special teams. He also hits the hole faster that I have seen anybody in a long time. Once he gets into the secondary there nobody and I mean nobody who gonna catch him.

"heads-up" all you cajun fans..

this friday @ 9:05 am (cst) will be our last opportunity to hear from cajuns o-coor rob christophel before the team reports on the 7th.. "excitement? nervous anticpation? we'll gauge his thinking on the up-coming fb season.. one in which we all hope ends up with the 1st winning season since .. 95?

he will be on espn 1420 .. the sportsnote radio show
    ( http://www.sportsnoteradio.com )

call in ( 337-269-1077) or post any questions.. archive of the show should be on the snote website a few hours later @ the latest..

Thanks for all the kind comments. If it wasn't for ya'll enjoying it I probably would find other things to do with my time. Esquire analyzing football for a living would be great but who knows what the future holds

Mighty fine job

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    "heads-up" all you cajun fans..
    slight change in plans as it will not work out for rob to come on.. he sends his apologies.. working on another "cajun" guest.. will keep all posted..

ps. it seems "turbine's" idea of the pre-season pre-practice tailgate will fall on "game day" of the texas game..

pss. would anyone wish to purchase a shirt like this although w/football?
    picture is of the back..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    slight change in plans as it will not work out for rob to come on.. he sends his apologies.. working on another "cajun" guest.. will keep all posted..

ps. it seems "turbine's" idea of the pre-season pre-practice tailgate will fall on "game day" of the texas game..

pss. would anyone wish to purchase a shirt like this although w/football?
    picture is of the back..
    maybe....if it's @ "happy" hr

Thread Information