Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: Lady Cajuns 2005-06 basketball season

UL Basketball Re: Colbert To Join Lady Cajuns Monday Night

That is awesome coach, I along with my parents will be at the game. How is the other young lady progressing? I know she will be out for the rest of this year, I just hope she is able to play again starting next year!

Coach my seat?:confused:

DaddyCajun

2. Default UL women return to court

It's time for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun women to get back to the court, and time for coach J. Kelley Hall to see who his key players will be when they enter Sun Belt Conference play next month.

The Cajuns will take a 6-1 overall record into tonight's 7 p.m. game against LSU-Shreveport at Earl K. Long Gym, the first contest since players finished their final exams for the fall semester.

"It was a typical exam week," Hall said. "You could tell their minds were somewhere else. I never worked them more than an hour and a half during exams, then yesterday (Saturday) we practiced for two hours.

"We will be a little rusty. Obviously, I want to play everybody."
    Hall will use December games to determine his team's strengths before defending its Western Division title in Sun Belt play.

"I'm trying to get down to an 8-person rotation," Hall said. "I'd really like to see that. Right now, we're at seven. But Jeanenne Colbert has gotten her release from the doctor and will dress for the game."

Point guard Colbert was injured in a preseason automobile accident and has been sidelined since then. Also hurt was guard Elaine McCants, unlikely to play until next season.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: UL women return to court

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    This article says that McCants won't play until next season. Last I heard, she wasn't expected to ever play again. Did something change?

Default Re: Colbert To Join Lady Cajuns Monday Night

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun1
    Die Hards:
    Here it is. Jeanenne Colbert 5'5'' inch Junior Pt/Gd is to be cleared today (by doctors) so she can officially play her first game as a LADY CAJUN tomorrow night. That's right you heard it here first . Has not been released to the media yet. This was one of the young ladies that was in the car wreck and has been out since 2 days before Halloween. Jaye (as she likes to be called) will be wearing # 45 for the Lady Cajuns. HOPE YOU WILL COME OUT AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. THIS WILL BE A NIGHT FOR HER TO REMEMBER. AS YOU RECALL SHE CAME VERY CLOSE TO NEVER BEING ABLE TO PLAY AGAIN. YES, SHE WILL BE WEARING GOOGLES. CHEER LOUD AND CHEER OFTEN.
    Headragincajun1
    Ahhh the season of miracles. This is really good to hear. I assume the other young lady still has a long road ahead of her.

5. Default Re: Colbert to Join Lady Cajuns for 91-50 WIN

91-50 Lady Cajuns win

Jaye was pure hustle hit a couple of NBA distance 3-pointers.

Jones reached a couple of career highs with rebounds and points scored.

I had the chance to interview the play by play announcer Steve Peloquin. We joked about a catch phrase (I forget the football announcer who coined it Steve played the clip on his show THinking out loud) but it fit with the happenings of the game.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Colbert Joins Lady Cajuns for 91-50 WIN

i like hearing that the 'hustle' associated with #45 in cajun basketball will be carried into this season!!!

7. UL Basketball Jones sparkles in easy UL win

J. Kelley Hall couldn't have scripted a better return to action for his Louisiana Lady Cajuns coming off semester exams than he got in Monday night's 91-50 thrashing of NAIA member LSU-Shreveport.

The Cajuns got 32 points and 20 rebounds from Yolanda Jones, the most points for a UL player since 1994 and the second-most rebounds in school history.

Onna Charles had a double-double of her own with 17 points and 10 rebounds.

Alicia McDaniel had a sterling night with 9 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 steals, pestering the Lady Pilots at every turn.
    And point guard Ashley Blanche tallied 10 points and dished out 6 assists.

Then, as if that weren't enough, the Cajuns celebrated the return to the court of point guard Jeanenne Colbert, who hit 3-of-3 3-pointers and scored 11 points in 18 minutes in her first action since a preaseason auto accident.

It was a perfect welcome back for the 402 fans on hand at Earl K. Long Gym.

"This is the game we needed," Hall said. "We were able to play some people a lot of minutes. I'm glad the game took the shape that it did."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

8. Default Re: Colbert Joins Lady Cajuns for 91-50 WIN

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun1
    Die Hards:
    Here it is. Jeanenne Colbert 5'5'' inch Junior Pt/Gd is to be cleared today (by doctors) so she can officially play her first game as a LADY CAJUN tomorrow night. That's right you heard it here first . Has not been released to the media yet. This was one of the young ladies that was in the car wreck and has been out since 2 days before Halloween. Jaye (as she likes to be called) will be wearing # 45 for the Lady Cajuns. HOPE YOU WILL COME OUT AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT. THIS WILL BE A NIGHT FOR HER TO REMEMBER. AS YOU RECALL SHE CAME VERY CLOSE TO NEVER BEING ABLE TO PLAY AGAIN. YES, SHE WILL BE WEARING GOOGLES. CHEER LOUD AND CHEER OFTEN.
    Headragincajun1
    Sorry we lost the Franklin Lady---Anybody else we seek in the area??? Hope things keep going well!!!!!

9. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns seek 8th straight victory

The last thing the Louisiana Ragin' Cajun women should do tonight is forget about the Savannah State Tigers.

It might be an understandable slip-up, since coach J. Kelley Hall's squad visits SEC member Auburn on Saturday, but a potentially unwise one.

The Cajuns are 7-1 and on a seven-game winning streak and Savannah State is 1-8 on the heels of an eighth straight defeat, setting up an apparent mismatch of teams headed in opposite directions.

It doesn't help that UL rolled to a 95-47 win over SSU last season at Earl K. Long Gym. But the Cajuns dropped a 49-45 overtime game to the Tigers the last time they visited Savannah in 2003, something Hall is sure to use to get his team's attention.

"Two years ago," Hall said, "they beat us in overtime when we couldn't hit a shot. I know they'll play us 40 minutes of zone (defense). I know what they're going to do. We have to make our shots from the perimeter."

Louisiana hit 36-of-84 from the field, including 9-of-33 3-pointers, in Monday's 91-50 thrashing of LSU-Shreveport. The Cajuns out-rebounded the visitors 60-30 and controlled the game throughout behind 32 points and 20 rebounds from Yolanda Jones.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Lady Cajuns seek 8th straight victory

Anybody happen to know how this current streak ranks among all time Lady Cajun win streaks?

11. Default Re: Lady Cajuns seek 8th straight victory

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    Anybody happen to know how this current streak ranks among all time Lady Cajun win streaks?
    I heard the record was eight. Anyone know the year?

UL Basketball Re: Lady Cajuns seek 8th straight victory

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy

GEAUX LADY CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DADDYCAJUN

13. UL Basketball Louisiana's Lady Cajuns match club record eighth straight Win

SAVANNAH, Ga.-Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns women’s basketball team extended their winning streak to eight games with a 68-40 win over Savannah State Thursday night at Tiger Arena in Savannah, Ga.

With the win, the Cajuns improve to 8-1 on the season, while Tigers drop to 1-9.

Defensively, the Cajuns limited the Lady Tigers to just 40 points, their second lowest scoring performance of the season.

UL held Savannah State to just 27-pecent shooting for the game including holding the Tigers scoreless from behind the arc (0-for-6).

The Cajuns’ defense caused 24 turnovers and had eight steals on the night. UL scored 33 points off of turnovers compared to just eight by Savannah State.

The Ragin’ Cajuns defense had four blocks in the game, including a pair from both Yolanda Jones and Onna Charles.

Offensively, the Cajuns were led by Alicia McDaniel, who scored a career high 11 points. Jones and Charles were the only other Cajuns with double digit scoring, both scoring 10. Sherita Anderson added a season high nine points for the Cajuns.

All 10 Lady Cajuns scored in the contest.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA SI

14. UL Basketball Lady Cajuns cruise to victory

Louisiana coach J. Kelley Hall got what he wanted on Thursday night. Now he can focus on bigger challenges.

The LAdy Cajuns marched past Savannah State by a 68-40 count, posting an eighth straight victory to improve to 8-1 on the season while saddling the homestanding Tigers (1-9) with a ninth straight setback.

But the game - attended by just 87 fans - was merely an appetizer for Saturday's 3 p.m. contest at SEC member Auburn, and the Cajuns made sure they took care of their business so Saturday will have added meaning.

"They understand that we need to get road wins," Hall said. "And when it was over, it was a relief because then we could turn all our attention to Auburn. We could finally talk about it.

"That's why we came on this trip. It's a huge opportunity for us."

Alicia McDaniel led the Cajuns with 11 points, 8 rebounds and a pair of steals. Also in double figures were Onna Charles (10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocked shots) and Yolanda Jones (10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks).

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

15. UL Basketball LAdy Cajuns face Auburn Lady Tigers

The Louisiana Lady Cajuns have a chance to get some attention today.

The Cajuns meet SEC member Auburn at 3 p.m., facing the highest-profile opponent this season since opening the campaign with a 53-45 loss at SMU, and they enter the game riding an 8-game winning streak.

"This will be a huge test for us," said coach J. Kelley Hall of the first-ever meeting between the two schools in women's basketball.

"Auburn goes 6-7, 6-4 and 6-3 across the front line. They're very big and very athletic. We're going to have to use our athleticism and quickness against them.

"We'll look to spread them out and take their big people away from the basket. We know they'll play all man-to-man. We'll have to rebound and make our shots."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . LastLast

Thread Information