Thread: Dorm Designed by UL's own A. Hays Town, to be Leveled.

1. Default Dorm Designed by UL's own A. Hays Town, to be Leveled.

The Daily Advertiser confirmed, by looking at blueprints . There's just not enough time now to make those considerations." Eleanor Bouy, director of Lafayette Consolidated Government's Planning, Zoning and Codes department The University of Louisiana .

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Dorm Designed by UL's own A. Hays Town, to be Leveled.

Cajunnation, we won't be able to tear down Blackham. Designed by A. Hays Town. One I'm sure he wasn't foublr nrgaproud of.

Old Baker Huger did have some small copper awnings at the doors and the sun room between the two buildings but those two characteristics certainly are not signature Hays Town features. Not to mention that the buildings were loaded with asbestos and lead paint, energy inefficient and outmoded. They are renovating Randolph, Buchanan and Harris Hall. all three are classic college dorm buildings, significant in stature and are solid structures.

What everybody needs to understand is that the current building program will definitely transform the character of the campus from one that is more rural in nature to one that is more urban. The scale of the buildings will be much bigger and they will be closer together. Whether that's good or bad is open to debate, but one thing for sure, the improvements were needed and last time I checked, it's impossible to grow more land.

Regardless, all the new buildings that they can build will go for naught if they don't have the budget and wear with all to maintain them. Lets hope they do.

They did start to demolish Evangeline Hall yesterday (August 16, 2011). So there is no turning back now.

4. Default Re: Dorm Designed by UL's own A. Hays Town, to be Leveled.

Is he an alumnus of UL???

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Is he an alumnus of UL???
    Yes

Long before UL had a live mascot (while he was a student) he used to draw Bulldog sketches for the yearbook.

My favorite was one with a hatchet and the dog had a chopped off tail. It was on the last page of the yearbook, with the caption "The Bitter End"

We'll get rid of two buildings that have outlived their usefulness; get to rehab one of Hays' dorms and the alumni will continue to focus on his first major home - the Alumni Center, a great treasure we own. I think we'll be really excited to see how the new dorms/Student center transform the campus. The engergy level will increase dramatically, I believe.

FWIW a few of those old dorms suffered so bad from condensation in the wall due to the air conditioning that you could hear the water running between the walls when you changed out the medicine cabinets and some of the old plaster walls would crumble when you touched them due to moisture damage, so definitely due for replacements

Who is this guy Persac, author of the article. An LSU alum possibly? This is the type of reporting you rarely see in Texas. It's anti-productive on purpose, and at the last minute no less. The University deemed it necessary to replace some crapy old dorms that nobody wanted to be in, and someone has to stretch and reach to come up with a reason not to. Instead of an article promoting the forward thinking, and absolute intelligent decision by the UL administration to upgrade and increase dorm space, thus making the University more desirable, this jack-wagon tries to throw a wrench into the process. Ever since I moved here, it amazes me how negative and destructive the reporting can be in Louisiana, and usually there is a political agenda behind it.

Thread Information