Thread: UL's Kelley on the move again

1. Default UL's Kelley on the move again

If you've had a little difficulty following Lance Kelley's college career since he left St. Thomas More in 2007, you're probably not alone.

The rest of the story

Default Re: UL's Kelley on the move again

I wonder why do this now? Kelley knows the position of strong safety well, as he has been playing it for 2 years. Now to move him to Linebacker his Senior year? He won't hardly know the position before he graduates. I'm not sure UL will get the return for their investment in moving him. Kelley is fast, so hopefully that covers a lot of the mistakes that he might make. Also, isn't 210 kind of lite for a MLB?

Your right, a little strange, and certainly didn't expect it. The coaches must have a good reason, maybe on situations like 3rd and long, or other obvious passing downs. Not sure in our system of defense, but many defenses, the MLB makes the call for the rest of the defense. Maybe they like his experience. Who knows, It's interesting though. That leaves the question to me, who's starting at safety? I know one thing, it's great talking about football again. Geaux Cajuns!

I would think that the main reason would be to defend against the spread, which more and more teams are going to. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that's going to plug many gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Cajun View Post
    I wonder why do this now? Kelley knows the position of strong safety well, as he has been playing it for 2 years. Now to move him to Linebacker his Senior year? He won't hardly know the position before he graduates. I'm not sure UL will get the return for their investment in moving him. Kelley is fast, so hopefully that covers a lot of the mistakes that he might make. Also, isn't 210 kind of lite for a MLB?
    Two reasons mainly.....Lance is not very instinctive at safety which is a problem. While his body type is suited better for Safety or WR, he gives you another athlete with speed that can play in the box in a 4-2-5 set at times. When you see teams use 4-2-5 sets or 3-3-5 sets, the third LB is usually not over 220 pounds. Auburn played with 3 LB's around 225, 215 and 210.....They had one of the better defenses in the country that season. While he is not a great tackler,he has improved and loves to hit. He isn't playing MLB.....Brooks and Johnson

Thread Information