Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships

Default Re: Gotta face the music

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ IMO no D1 college coach should be allowed to have a side business while coaching. Jerry Denardo's restaurant was a distraction that contributed to his downfall.

Also no coach should be allowed to coach his or her child, they either have bad teams or simply tread water. Bustle is the first I seen a coach survive the situation but then again he has been given an extraordinarily long leash. _
    Turb -

I could not disagree with you more about coaching your son. If Robe's son was good, and was allowed to elsewhere. We would have crucified him on this board. Bruce Pearl and Tennessee were in the Elite 8 and he was coaching his son.

I guess Bryce Drew did not work out for Homer Drew at Valpo

Oh yeah, Bobby Knight was a terrible coach with Pat Knight.

You are making a blanket statement that is simply not true in every situation. It depends on the coach and the son and each situation.

So are you saying that Stokely, Bustle, and Robe would be better off without coaching their kids

Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _

So you get yourself a screename to bi%ch and moan because your cousin's neice's boyfriend is buried somewhere on the bench and his grandma feels like he should be starting at 1st base instead of the coach's son. I am very critical about this team as a whole you can ask the people who sit around me they call me Negative Nancy. Robicheaux is probably the best defensive 1st baseman we have ever had here, no offense to Hawke We tried multiple people at 1st and they were given ample opportunities to get it together. None of them could hit and they damn sure couldn't catch any ball that was thrown in the dirt much less some balls that were thrown right at them. It doesn't matter if you have a pitcher who can throw a complete game 2 hitter if we make 7 errors a game we probably still won't win. I was begging for Robe to be put there several weeks before he got inserted into the lineup. We would have been better off with him at first even if he was batting .200. Most of the errors we had at the beginning of the season were from balls in the dirt that the first baseman couldn't scoop. I think that we would really have almost the same amount of errors on the left side of the infield if it wasn't for T-Robe bailing them out. Now that still doesn't correct Porrier booting every other ball hit his way, but it sure has erased alot of errors that we would have potentionally had.

So how about you tell us who your baby momma's, step father's, coworker's daughter's boyfriend is who can hit .350 and play a better first base. Or better yet tell us how you really feel and tell us that this alleged stud should be pitching on Friday nights instead of Osbourne.

_ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _
    What a STUPID comment! Evidently, you have NO idea as to why Justin was put at first base. The reason is that he is by FAR the best first baseman we have. PERIOD.

We all make comments from time to time that may miss the mark, but this one was just plain DUMB!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Gotta face the music

I can't speak for others, but my problem with Robichaux has nothing to do with his son.

Tony has NOT produced at the level expected of him for years. That is reason enough to let him go.

He has a philosophy that does NOT work in college baseball unless your team has really outstanding hitters; something we have been sorely lacking for a number of years now. We do not make opposing pitchers pay for their mistakes. Tony is more interested in forcing the opposing pitcher into high pitch count than he is in making things easy for our hitters. He's always been like that, it is not new.

He's been very successful in the past; but anything over 3 years ago is ancient history; it should be commemorated, but not rewarded. Three consecutive bad years should earn him [or any other coach at UL] a pink slip.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Turb -

I could not disagree with you more about coaching your son. If Robe's son was good, and was allowed to elsewhere. We would have crucified him on this board. Bruce Pearl and Tennessee were in the Elite 8 and he was coaching his son.

Oh yeah, Bobby Knight was a terrible coach with Pat Knight.

You are making a blanket statement that is simply not true in every situation. It depends on the coach and the son and each situation.

So are you saying that Stokely, Bustle, and Robe would be better off without coaching their kids _

Dont Forget about Jack and John Elway
    And
    Bob Hurley Sr. and Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by billdog74 View Post
    _ Dont Forget about Jack and John Elway
    And
    Bob Hurley Sr. and Bobby _
    I thought about both of those examples last night, but there are many examples of successful trios in college sports. It hasn't worked out as for us because those were poor programs at the time. But Jack Elway was coaching at another program while John was at Stanford and beat him three times.

7. Default Re: Gotta face the music

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Turb -

Hey I think it's great for the child of a coach but unfortunately can be bad for the team. those are good examples of it working out though)

Just for the record I raised this issue before Bustle or Robichaux ever signed LINK

The reason I find nepotism can be bad for the coach-player ‘team’ relationship has nothing to do with favoritism (even though it often occurs and the player leaves the school a record setter). My reasoning is inevitable that it will remove any mystic and lower the respect level a team has for the coach.

The reason is the child of a coach will, without ever wanting to will give away through words or body language, when a player doesn't have to take the coach serious.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Hey I think it's great for the child of a coach but unfortunately can be bad for the team. those are good examples of it working out though)

Just for the record I raised this issue before Bustle or Robichaux ever signed LINK

The reason I find nepotism can be bad for the coach-player ‘team’ relationship has nothing to do with favoritism (even though it often occurs and the player leaves the school a record setter). My reasoning is inevitable that it will remove any mystic and lower the respect level a team has for the coach.

The reason is the child of a coach will, without ever wanting to will give away through words or body language, when a player doesn't have to take the coach serious.

jmo _
    I agree with you Turbine. Also I don't think you mentioned it but if you have to fire the coach it makes for a really ugly situation. I believe we kept Stokley around a few years to many because of Brandon.

Come on fella's, you have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see that Justin is one of the best 9 players on this team! If the other players on the team that supposidly can play first, hit and pitch were doing the job early in the season, Justin would not have had to be put back in to play first and hit while he was healing up.

When the season is not going as well as expected, we all tend to look for reasons. However, blaming the Coach for playing his son does not make any sense in this case!!!

I don't know about the Father/Son issue and if that has soemthing to do with the horrid performance of this team over the last 2 1/2 years, but I do know that something is not right from within the program. I have talked to former players, who were stars on the team, and they have all indicated that the problem is at the top. There is absolutely no good reason why this program is so inconsistent. We have made post season only 3 times since the 2000 season and we will not make it again this year, baring some miracle in the conference tournament. Absolutely no excuse for this. I don't expect for us to go to a super regional or the CWS every year, but regional play 3 or 4 out of every 5 is not asking too much for a program that at one time was considered to be top 3 in the state.

What is going to happen at the end of this year? Doesn't Coach Robe's contract run out at the end of next season? I would think that he would not want go into his final year without a new contract, or at least an extension. As impressed as I am with the basketball hiring, I don't think the admin is going to pay that much attention to baseball, especially with the very real possiblity that we will be looking for a new football coach at the end of this upcoming season.

11. Default Re: Gotta face the music

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ This is true. It's a lose lose.

Solution: Coaches should never have kids that become D-1 athletes. _
    LOL

12. Default Re: Gotta face the music

Sounds like you got beat out by Jut or got cut by Tony -- or both.

13. Default Re: Gotta face the music

If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing.

14. Default Re: Gotta face the music

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcobra View Post
    _ If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing. _
    If we were ranked, and winning, no one would be talking about this. Robe is hands down our best Fielding first baseman, and he hasn't exactly been horrible at the plate. This discussion is so disconnected to the actual problems of this baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcobra View Post
    _ If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing. _
    But he is not going to be let go. He took us to the World Series back in 2000 and his son is on the team. Should we let Robe stay until his son finishes? If he didn't have a son on the team would we have let him go long ago? I don't know about you but I would feel strange cutting someones dad that is on the team. We seem to end up with a lot of father son combos. Perhaps that is a selling point for us?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information