Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships

1. I have a Question Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships

I'm thinking of a few examples there are more, if you know of any . . .

2. Press & Pete Maravich at LSU
  3. Wally & Jon English at Tulane
  4. Jessie & Jared Evans at Louisiana
  5. Nelson & Brandon Stokley at Louisiana

I ask because just around the corner we may have
    Tony & Justin Robichaux; Baseball
    Rickey & Brad Bustle; Football

Good, Bad or Irrelevant? I ask because it seems to be there is a relationship between the end of a career and coaching ones son. Even when successful there seems to be a burnout factor.

Default Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long term)

Homer and Bryce Drew at Valparaiso.

Default Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long term)

I can think of was Mike Martin, Jr. at FSU. That seemed to work well. The U. of So. FL coach has two sons on the roster. Neither is pulling their weight on the field, irritating people around the program. The Clemson coach has a kid on the roster, but he's a bench sitter.

If the player can help the team, its worth trying to work out, If he doesn't mind playing for dad. Some players just don't want to play for dad. If he keeps it up, he might turn pro.

UL Baseball Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long t

The thing that you have to understand is that no matter how good Justin is, there will always be those people who say that the only reason that he is playing is because his dad is the coach. It happens in little league, high school, all the way to the college level. This is just hearsay, but the word is that he wants to play in the SEC at any school except UL-BR so that he can shove it up their !%$ I have had the honor of playing as well as coaching against Justin, and he is the real deal. I hope that he is successful where ever he goes and that one day we'll be watching him in Omaha or maybe even a big league park.

UL Football Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long term)

FYI

Brad Bustle is going to Southeastern in Hammond.

Also, Frank Beamer's son played for Virginia Tech. He's now an assistant at Miss. St.

Each situation is different.

In my opinion, i think it works out ok in most sports except for football! Football is so much more of an emotional sport and the high and lows that players experience during games, practice, meetings, etc. I think it is probably best the dad is not their to be yelling at his son! Lets face it, in football, everyone gets yelled at and taunted by coach.at least on the high school level and I am sure it isnt to far off in the college level.

I belive it can work it just depends on the father and son. The biggest thing is seperating what happens on the job (the sport) from what is going on in their personal lives.

UL Football Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long term)

I agree with you guys. It seems more difficult to be a coach and have a son/daughter to coach.

When I coached my son's teams in grammer & high school, I made certain that another coach coached him.

I don't see a problem at UL

The biggest thing is for neither the father nor the son to take advantage of the situation. If neither does, then the situation is usually a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    The biggest thing is for neither the father nor the son to take advantage of the situation. If neither does, then the situation is usually a good one.
    Playing for my Dad was a blast because he was not my direct coach. Having him on the other side of the ball (WR vs DB) made practice fun everyday. He did a great job of never coaching me, but always motivating me. For example, if I dropped a pass in practice. he'd say "Beat him up ball" or "God bless your mother!" haha

It really depends on the scrutiny that the Father places on the Son.I think. If the dad is ultra critical and easily disappointed. then the kid will never reach his potential IMO

hope yall are enjoying the 100 degree weather down South. It just hit 90 for the first time up here in NY City! Geaux Cajuns

Default Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long t

Quote Originally Posted by jdebaillon
    The thing that you have to understand is that no matter how good Justin is, there will always be those people who say that the only reason that he is playing is because his dad is the coach. It happens in little league, high school, all the way to the college level. This is just hearsay, but the word is that he wants to play in the SEC at any school except UL-BR so that he can shove it up their !%$ I have had the honor of playing as well as coaching against Justin, and he is the real deal. I hope that he is successful where ever he goes and that one day we'll be watching him in Omaha or maybe even a big league park.
    Justin gave a verbal commitment to the Cajuns only 2 weeks ago to play baseball. He might stay close to home and be a nice addition to the Cajuns.

16. Default Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long t

Quote Originally Posted by jdebaillon
    that hearsay is just that and not worth the breath and time it took to say it trust me, but believe what you will.and people saying that he's playing because his dad is the coach! well, i wouldn't worry about that and the people who would say that don't know what's going on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine

Good, Bad or Irrelevant? I ask because it seems to be there is a relationship between the end of a career and coaching ones son. Even when successful there seems to be a burnout factor.
    It depends on their relationship. Sometimes the dad can be harder on the kid to show that he's not playing favorites. Even the perception of playing favorites can lead to dissension with the other players.

What nobody has mention yet about Justin is that he could get drafted and not play college ball at all.

Default Re: Do Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships work for the good of the team (long t

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun
    It depends on their relationship. Sometimes the dad can be harder on the kid to show that he's not playing favorites. Even the perception of playing favorites can lead to dissension with the other players.
    Well, said. I played FB in HS and my dad was an asst. coach. The first 2 years he didn't coach me. But the next 2 years he did and he bent over backwards to make SURE no one thought that I got any favors from him. It was pretty harsh at times. I don't really recommend it if you are the situation I was in. My dad & I didn't really see eye-to-eye on much until I was MUCH older. For others, I can see where it could be good. I think it really depends on the situation. Best of luck to Justin. I'd love to see him in a Cajun uniform, but I hope he does what is best for himself.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information