Thread: 2005 Phil Steele's College Football Preview

1. UL Football 2005 Phil Steele's College Football Preview

2003 2004

Quote Originally Posted by MPatin *

I just purchased my Phil Steel's College Football Preview . He has had the #1 College Football Preview magazine for 6 years in a row.

2. Jerry Babb is ranked #60 in Phil's top quarterbacks.
  3. Greg Hodges is ranked #31 in Phil's top Centers
  4. Louisiana is ranked #18 as Phil's 2005 most improved team!
  5. Center Greg Hodges, . on Phil's 1st All Sun Belt Team.
  6. Guard Justin Ernest . on Phil's 1st All Sun Belt Team.
  7. Tackle Brandon Cox . on Phil's 1st All Sun Belt Team.
  8. WR Bill Sampy, is listed on Phil's 2nd All Sun Belt team.
  9. QB Jerry Babb, . on Phil's 3rd All Sun Belt Team
  10. WR Jordan Jackson, . on Phil's 3rd All Sun Belt Team
  11. FS Terry Fenton, . on Phil's 3rd All Sun Belt Team
  12. K Sean Comiskey . on Phil's 3rd All Sun Belt Team
  13. RB Chester Johnson, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  14. WR Eddie Brown, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  15. T Jesse Newman, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  16. DL Eugene Kwarteng, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  17. LB Tyler Norman, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  18. SS Lamar Morgan, . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  19. KR Michael Adams . in Phil's 4th Team All Sun Belt
  20. Phil predicts that Ricky Bustle will get UL to a bowl game in the future!
  21. Phil Steele believes that UL will have its first winning season since 1995
  22. Phil has UL rated as #75 in Recruiting for this past season.
  23. Phil rated UL as the #2 in incoming recruiting for this past recruiting season in the Sun Belt.
  24. Phil rates UL as the #2 power rating in the Sun Belt.
  25. Phil ranks UL #59 in experiece Rating
  26. Phil projects that UL will have the #14 pass defense at the end of the season
  27. Phil has UL ranked #2 in the Sun Belt in the Power Play Projections
  28. Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Phil Steele's 2005 College Football Preview

I really think Phil has a very realistic idea of our team. Only thing is I think Babb will be better than 3rd in the sun belt. no worse than 2nd if he isnt the top quarterback in the belt! Just my two cents.

They have some very good QB's in the belt this year. Babb, Marks from MT, Jyles from ULM, Byerly from NT, Noce from ASU, Troy also has McDowell I believe his name who was the freshmen that started against LSU and almost beat them but I heard he will not be the starter as of right now.

Noce was in consistent last year and threw to many interceptions (Babb also needs to cut back on his picks but he did throw most of them while hurt). Jyles and Babb are both the same type of QB but Jyles is a little more athletic. Marks will have very big numbers because of the offense at Middle Tenn. North Texas people are high on Byerly and if he lives up to his potential could be a good one.

I'm hoping with the talent at QB that the sunbelt has right now we might be able to get the publicity that the MAC has had recently because of the QB's they have produced.

31. Ragin' Cajuns Phil Steele has his pulse of college scene

The man says so himself, and no one's arguing.

How else to explain a guy who boasts about the 12 television sets crowding his office, all of them tuned to college football games each Saturday in the fall?

Or a man who works 100-hour weeks in the spring to write every word in a 300-plus page college football preseason magazine that some consider to be the best in the business?

"Your mind has only so much information it can store and I prefer to know who the third-string tackle for Tulsa is rather than somebody's name that I meet at a party," said Steele, a handicapper-turned-writer/editor/publisher for Phil Steele's National College Preview. "I pretty much am obsessed with football."

Nothing says college football season is approaching like the preseason magazines that began elbowing their way onto newsstands across the country in May.

Athlon. Lindy's. Street & Smith's. The Sporting News. CBS Sportsline. Phil Steele's.

The magazines are packed with news, lists, analysis and opinion that are sure to please some and annoy others.

Take The Sporting News, which ranks Miami's Larry Coker — owner of a 44-6 career record and a national title — as the fifth-best coach. That's in the ACC, not the nation.

Or Athlon's choice of Iowa at No. 3 in the country even though most of the magazine's competitors predict the Hawkeyes won't even finish that high in the Big Ten.

"It's almost like a comic book," Florida center Mike Degory said. "Those people don't really know what they're talking about."

Degory may be right in some cases, but not all.

Last year, Lindy's predicted that USC would beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. The magazine also correctly guessed the winners of the Heisman Trophy and the Butkus, Nagurski and Biletnikoff awards.

"If you want to talk predictions, we do a pretty good job with it," said J. Lindy Davis, who began publishing Lindy's as a Southeastern Conference preview magazine in 1982.

But when it comes to predictions, no one has been more precise than Steele, according to Chris Stassen, who has been tracking the accuracy of preseason college football magazines since 1993 on his Web site The preseason.stassen.com

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

32. Default Re: Phil Steele has his pulse of college scene

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Football expert builds reputation for accuracy in his annual predictions
    I have been a fan of Phil Steele since he picked Ross Brupbacker as one of the nations elite linebackers LINK

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Phil Steele's 2005 College Football Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    They have some very good QB's in the belt this year. Babb, Marks from MT, Jyles from ULM, Byerly from NT, Noce from ASU, Troy also has McDowell I believe his name who was the freshmen that started against LSU and almost beat them but I heard he will not be the starter as of right now.

Noce was in consistent last year and threw to many interceptions (Babb also needs to cut back on his picks but he did throw most of them while hurt). Jyles and Babb are both the same type of QB but Jyles is a little more athletic. Marks will have very big numbers because of the offense at Middle Tenn. North Texas people are high on Byerly and if he lives up to his potential could be a good one.

I'm hoping with the talent at QB that the sunbelt has right now we might be able to get the publicity that the MAC has had recently because of the QB's they have produced.

Very nice break down ClutchStarting to sound like a top notch sports reporter!

Well what can I sayI try lol I'm looking to take Mr. Steele's job but Ssshhhh don't tell anybody.

Thread Information