Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2005: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketball Earl K. Long Gym!

UL Basketball 2005: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketball Earl K. Long Gym!

Having gone to some of the Lady Cajun Basketball games I noticed that there was a whole bunch of room behind where the score keepers sit!! I think Long Gym holds 1,500 now but what if the place sells out(packs) every game this coming year, "Do we add another 500 seats or so on the vacant side"??

DaddyCajun!!!

ps Fill the stands at ALL UL Sports and cause a problem with inadequate seating so the University Officials have to add additional stands!!!!!!!

"COME AND THEY WILL HAVE TO BUILD IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

What about going over to Blackham? What is stopping them from doing that? I know that they like the gym because it is loud and gives a homecourt advantage, but if they start averaging 3000, Blackham wouldnt exactly be a cake court to play on for opponents.

Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

I never understood the thought process of putting hundreds of thousands of dollars into Long Gym and not into Blackham. Blackham would definetly cost more to renovate than Long gym did so maybe that is part of what they are thinking. Also as the Ladies get better and better and the FANS come in then they may jump into the CajunDome for more Double headers and or Single games by themselves. If this is NOT the thought process then this money being dumped into Long may have been better spent on Blackham remodels!! But if we can pack 1500 into Long then have to add another 500-1500 on the vacant side, averaging 2000-3000 per game in Womens basketball would be pretty Dawg-Gone-Good!!!!

DaddyCajun!!

Buy your Season tickets to your Favorite UL Sport today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    What about going over to Blackham? What is stopping them from doing that? I know that they like the gym because it is loud and gives a homecourt advantage, but if they start averaging 3000, Blackham wouldnt exactly be a cake court to play on for opponents.
    As the Head Coach I can tell you that once we out grow E.K. Long we will go straight to the Cajun Dome. We need to Avg 1500 to play all our games at the Cajun Dome. Our players LOVE E.K. Long and our OPPONENTS "HATE PLAYING IN E.K.LONG".

I had an Athletic Director from another school tell me last week while we were at the Spring Sun Belt Conference meetings that we were nuts if we moved out. He said "you have every coach talking to their A.D. about having to play in your place". "CRACKER BOX" is what he called it. Well in case you people haven't kept up "HISTORICAL E.K. LONG'' IS HAVING A brand new MAPLE (light Colored) FLOOR BEING LAYED AS WE SPEAK. STOP BY AND CHECK IT OUT. Should be ready by July 15 to play on.

P.S. MEETING WITH NELSON TODAY AT 11. STAY TUNED.
    HEADRAGINCAJUN1

5. Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Having gone to some of the Lady Cajun Basketball games I noticed that there was a whole bunch of room behind where the score keepers sit!! I think Long Gym holds 1,500 now but what if the place sells out(packs) every game this coming year, "Do we add another 500 seats or so on the vacant side"??
    If I am not mistaken only 1000 seats exist on the fan side. 500 pullout seats should happen after next year.

There was a time when EKL had seating on the media side.

In fact in the 1970 picture below (according to the news report) about 5000 fans and students fit inside and 1000 stood outside for a protest rally. The stands shown are the ones that no longer exist.

The rally was to protest the fact that UL had the States 2nd largest enrollment, but was working under the constraints of being dead last in per capita funding.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    The rally was to protest the fact that UL had the States 2nd largest enrollment, but was working under the constraints of being dead last in per capita funding.

Some things never change

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun1
    As the Head Coach I can tell you that once we out grow E.K. Long we will go straight to the Cajun Dome. We need to Avg 1500 to play all our games at the Cajun Dome. Our players LOVE E.K. Long and our OPPONENTS "HATE PLAYING IN E.K.LONG".
    I had an Athletic Director from another school tell me last week while we were at the Spring Sun Belt Conference meetings that we were nuts if we moved out. He said "you have every coach talking to their A.D. about having to play in your place". "CRACKER BOX" is what he called it. Well in case you people haven't kept up "HISTORICAL E.K. LONG'' IS HAVING A brand new MAPLE (light Colored) FLOOR BEING LAYED AS WE SPEAK. STOP BY AND CHECK IT OUT. Should be ready by July 15 to play on.

HEADRAGINCAJUN1

Oh my, we actually hear something from the horses mouth! If I had a bow down smiley, I would put it down! So awesome to actually hear from you! Good luck in the meeting and hope you guys are here to stay!

Btw, if EK Long is what you guys like, I am all for it!

HEADRAGINCAJUN1
    I'm sure I speak for many cajun fans when I say "Good Luck".

To Coach Hall. Thanks for taking the time to visit with us and share info/thoughts. I wish more coaches would try to do this; but I'm sure it could blossom into way more time than is available.

Anyway, THANKS! Oops, got to go, here comes the boss

Quote Originally Posted by shof
    To Coach Hall. Thanks for taking the time to visit with us and share info/thoughts. I wish more coaches would try to do this; but I'm sure it could blossom into way more time than is available.

Anyway, THANKS! Oops, got to go, here comes the boss
    I think sometimes COACHES forget what they are here for. We are here to get these athletes their degrees. SHOW THEM THE WAY. Then, the fans should be listened to and heard. When I get so busy that I can't do what is fun I need to do something else. I'm having the time of my life here building a program where everybody told me not to come (because they didn't care) nobody could win here. I GUESS YOU COULD SAY WE CRASHED THE PARTY. Meredith and I are glad we didn't listen to them.

We have what we need here to win big if we keep going in the right direction. We must continue to move forward. This STEP today was in the right direction (MEETING WITH NELSON). We really need the fans to support us. We need you to show up at our games here on campus.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET MORE STUDENTS OUT TO OUR GAMES HERE ON CAMPUS. IT IS BIGTIME FUN I PROMISE. I'M OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. THANKS.

HEADRAGINCAJUN1

Coach did you come to an agreement and/or come closer to what WE all wish you should get, the upper half of the Sunbelt(for now)????

After each game or better yet during the Summer and begining of the Fall speak with the students in the Quad, Orientation, and in/around campus and ask those that have come to some games ask them to bring friends to the games that have yet to come. Put yourself and the girls at the gateways into the football games and again ask them to Be the Reason!!!

Sign it big and Sign it soon,
    DaddyCajun!!

"CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET MORE STUDENTS OUT TO OUR GAMES HERE ON CAMPUS. IT IS BIGTIME FUN I PROMISE. I'M OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. THANKS."
    You can start by going talk to all the Fraternites, Sororities, Dorms, and other groups on campus and inviting them to come to the games. Also, going to talk to the freshman orientation groups during the summer and inviting them. Tell them that part of their tuition covers the cost of coming to the games and what their partcipation means to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom
    You can start by going talk to all the Fraternites, Sororities, Dorms, and other groups on campus and inviting them to come to the games. Also, going to talk to the freshman orientation groups during the summer and inviting them. Tell them that part of their tuition covers the cost of coming to the games and what their partcipation means to the team.
    UL is somewhat of a commuter school. Therefore going only to fraternities/sororities is not enough. Many kids go home in the aftenoon and weekends. It is tough to get them to come back. I am sorry I don't have an answer for you directly. I can only ask others suggest something to help target commuters.

Coach I would say keep doing what you are doing because the biggest way to draw fans is with success.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Coach I would say keep doing what you are doing because the biggest way to draw fans is with success.

Well stated Clutch!

15. Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Coach, I went to my first UL women's basketball game last season vs. Arkansas State, and I can't ever remember yelling that loud like I did at that game. Here are a few suggestions you can try to get students to come to the games. Like a few have already said here, you can personally make announcements or post flyers on campus about upcoming games. You can have pep rallies at EKL or somewhere on campus for big upcoming games, I'm not sure if you do this but have like a givaway for one of the games(first 100 students get a free hat), but most importantly, WIN. Keep giving it your best, and pretty soon they'll be standing room only at EKL.

Best of luck in the upcoming months and GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information