Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2005: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketball Earl K. Long Gym!

Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by theragincajun06
    Exactly what I was going to write. 50/50 raffles are cool. Say that 500 people buy a ticket. $250 goes to UL nad $250 goes to a student.

THIS #1 BIGGEST PROBLEM that UL Lafayette has is that HALF the student body is uninformed. Most students don't realize they get into all events free.

You are going to have probably 10,000 out of the 15,000 students either working, not interested at all in sports, night class, family, churchetc that just won't come on a weeknight to watch basketball.

So there are 5,000 students left. 4,000 of them don't know there is a game. 500 have plans already. 500 left to attend the game.

I know for a fact that students miss out on so much and I've talk to SEVERAL students about why we never know what is going on. The reason is because if you don't pick up a newspaper or you miss the 5 flyers on campus you miss out on knowing what is going on.

How do we fix this? Create a buzz. This starts with your major groups. SGA, sor and frats. You got to get them involved with halftime events, pregame events and postgame events. Once you do that you create a trickle down effect. It's like word of mouth. That is what Lafayette is based on. You have to get people interested. There are those who would watch a game and those who would watch a game with entertainment on the side and that crowd is bigger in numbers.

Winning of course has a lot to do with it. Now that we've got that part down, let everyone know what is going on. Hell, I remember things at the Icegators games such as If the Gators score 7 points you get a free wHOPPER at Burger King.

Stuff like that? If the Cajuns score so many points they can redeem their tickets for a chicken sandwhich.

I got so many ideas. If you want to talk coach just send me a PM.
    What would be even better would be for the 50/50 raffle winner to donate there winning purse back to the team, I know I would

Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

I'm a poor college student I don't think I could give it back that easily lol

I'd let them have their $250, but I'd keep my $250! I'm a poor college student too. That would just cover the books for a semetser.

Quote Originally Posted by theragincajun06
    I'd let them have their $250, but I'd keep my $250! I'm a poor college student too. That would just cover the books for a semetser.
    Dont you mean BOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    Dont you mean BOOK!
    SO SO TRUE!!!

I hear some talk here & there about growing the women's program to a point where it can be moved to Blackham or the Cajundome. I think from past experiences that it would not be the best move for these reasons:

1) Earl K Long Gym has "character" and it is on campus.

2) We thought moving to the Cajun Dome from Blackham was going to be the "Ticket". It was a much nicer place, but it is too big for college basketball in Lafayette. When the place is half full, it's a decent crowd but it still looks fairly empty. The atmosphere cannot "electrify" without being close to a full house. Blackham would "rock" with 6,000 to 7,000 people. Earl K Long can "rock" with a few thousand, but those same few thousand or even a few more will look like nothing in Blackham or the Cajun Dome.

I see Earl K Long being a really "Hot Ticket" this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    2) We thought moving to the Cajun Dome from Blackham was going to be the "Ticket". It was a much nicer place, but it is too big for college basketball in Lafayette. When the place is half full, it's a decent crowd but it still looks fairly empty. The atmosphere cannot "electrify" without being close to a full house. Blackham would "rock" with 6,000 to 7,000 people. Earl K Long can "rock" with a few thousand, but those same few thousand or even a few more will look like nothing in Blackham or the Cajun Dome.

I hate to be "disagreeable", but I don't think the Cajundome is too big for college basketball in Lafayette. The problem is we've lost our crowds. Blackham used to to have crowds of 8-10,000. If we had those crowds in the Cajundome, it still be electric. It is true that Blackham would rock with 6-7,000 (but those were considered relatively small crowds back then), but how many times in the past 10 years have we had even that size of crowd show up at the Cajundome? When we have, the Dome was rockin' too! The Beryl Shipley teams always seemed to have a buzz about them that was basically lost during the "death penalty". We had some decent crowds afterward, but they didn't give quite the same energy as prior teams had. Then when the move to the Cajundome occurred, a combination of things changed the environment. The team went down for a while (record-wise and with problems), the previously successful coach (Paschal) left, the new coach (Fletcher) never really connected with the community, many of the season ticket holders felt alienated during the transition from Blackham, considerably more college BB on TV (ESPN, etc.), the team to the east gained a stronger BB fan base, etc, etc. All of that resulted in our attendance drastically dropping. We used to average 6-8,000. Now we rarely get that for a single game anymore. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the venue. I think that feeling from many people has more to do with nostalgia than anything else. I myself remember the games I saw at Blackham with great fondness. But it was the team the generated the crowds, which in turn generated the excitement. I remember my first game at Blackham and how I was very surprised at how dumpy a place this top 10 team was playing in! I love the Dome, despite some of its obvious drawbacks (mainly the fact that the crowd seems more removed from the action & the arena is too bright outside of the court). I also think we need to have a good band playing at ALL games and more students at the games. I think WHEN we get back to averaging 6-8,000 a game, the electricity will be back. Let's try to get it done! Everybody try to bring some new folks to the games this coming year! We can do it!

8. Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by headragincajun1
    CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET MORE STUDENTS OUT TO OUR GAMES HERE ON CAMPUS. IT IS BIGTIME FUN I PROMISE. I'M OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. THANKS.
    I suggest giving EKL a nickname like "The Rage Cage"

For those who may not know a basketball court is often refered to as the cage. 100 years ago teams like Trenton actually played inside of a chainlink fence or cage, roof and all. Other references say cage stands for the basket.

There are still basketball tournaments around the country called "Cage" tournaments.

The first time I became aware of the term was when Sports Illustrated ran a headline a few years back that went something like this "There's no Caging the Cajuns" past reference

Anyway I think it could be a huge draw have students saying
    "I'm going watch the game at The RAGE CAGE "

Ragin' Cajuns Re: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Football-----Cajun Field-----"The Swamp"
    Baseball-----Tigue Moore Field-----"The Tigue"
    Men's Basketball-----Cajundome----"????????"
    Women's Basketball-----E. K. Long Gym----"The Rage Cage"
    Softball------Lady Cajun Park-----"????????"
    Volleyball------E. K. Long Gym------"???????"
    Tennis------Ragin Cajun Courts-----"??????"

Any ideas for a "nickname" for these sporting places. It is not important that UL Ragin Cajun fans know the nicknames, but it is imperative that the opposing teams are reminded of exactly where they are playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I suggest giving EKL a nickname like "The Rage Cage"

For those who may not know a basketball court is often refered to as the cage. 100 years ago teams like Trenton actually played inside of a chainlink fence or cage, roof and all. Other references say cage stands for the basket.

There are still basketball tournaments around the country called "Cage" tournaments.

The first time I became aware of the term was when Sports Illustrated ran a headline a few years back that went something like this "There's no Caging the Cajuns" past reference

Anyway I think it could be a huge draw have students saying
    "I'm going watch the game at The RAGE CAGE "

I like just plain ole'

"THE CAGE"

11. Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Coach, we went to every home game you had last year even before you signed local player Broadhead. We were extremetly excited when you did get her. THe Acadiana area has many prep female players that are capable of playing at the next level and they would all bring a huge support system if they were to move on to the next level and play for you at UL. My suggestion would be to try and keep getting some of our home grown ladies to come and play for you - I promise you there is talent out there to be had. This sure seems to work for Coach Robichaux and his baseball program. Note the two local signings today in the Advertiser. Lafayette tends to support its own!!

12. Default Re: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Having gone to some of the Lady Cajun Basketball games I noticed that there was a whole bunch of room behind where the score keepers sit!! I think Long Gym holds 1,500 now but what if the place sells out(packs) every game this coming year, "Do we add another 500 seats or so on the vacant side"??

DaddyCajun!!!

ps Fill the stands at ALL UL Sports and cause a problem with inadequate seating so the University Officials have to add additional stands!!!!!!!

"COME AND THEY WILL HAVE TO BUILD IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PUSH TO." BUY SEASON TICKETS." come to the meeting tonight

13. Default Re: Make the Demand for Extra Stands at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    I like just plain ole'

"THE CAGE"
    I like dat too.

Default Re: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    Football-----Cajun Field-----"The Swamp"
    Baseball-----Tigue Moore Field-----"The Tigue"
    Men's Basketball-----Cajundome----"????????"
    Women's Basketball-----E. K. Long Gym----"The Rage Cage"
    Softball------Lady Cajun Park-----"????????"
    Volleyball------E. K. Long Gym------"???????"
    Tennis------Ragin Cajun Courts-----"??????"

Any ideas for a "nickname" for these sporting places. It is not important that UL Ragin Cajun fans know the nicknames, but it is imperative that the opposing teams are reminded of exactly where they are playing.

Lady Cajun Softball field-- "the Morgue" teams come here to die!

Default Re: 100% occupancy attainable at Lady Cajun Basketballs Long Gym!

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    Lady Cajun Softball field-- "the Morgue" teams come here to die!
    lxa656:
    I LIKE THAT "RAGE CAGE". That is pretty good. Let's add to it the word "HISTORICAL". Not sure if you know this or not, but we currently have the NATIONS 12th longest HOME COURT WINNING STREAK IN THE COUNTRY. We are 20-2 at HOME the last 2 years. with the last 15 in a row. How about "HISTORICAL RAGE CAGE". Just a thought.
    Headragincajun1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information