Thread: 2004-2005 UL Basketball Coach Carlin Hartman

1. UL Basketball 2004-2005 UL Basketball Coach Carlin Hartman

Glynn Cyprien completes staff with hiring of Carlin Hartman

LOUISIANA La. - University of Louisiana men's basketball head coach Glynn Cyprien announced Thursday the hiring of Carlin Hartman as assistant coach - the second addition to his coaching staff for the 2004-05 season.

The addition also completes Cyprien's coaching staff which includes former Marty Fletcher and Jessie Evans assistant Robert Lee along with Bill Pope who was hired on June 15.

Hartman comes to Louisiana from Rice University where he had spent the past two seasons as the Owls' director of basketball operations.

"Carlin brings a lot to the table for us," Cyprien said. "He is a very professional young man who has worked for one of the best guys in the business in Willis Wilson (Rice head coach). Carlin, himself, is an up-and-coming guy whose future is very bright."

Hartman's hiring is pending approval from the board of supervisors of the University of Louisiana System.

The Buffalo, N.Y., native began his coaching career at Rice during the 1996-97 season as an assistant coach.

After his first stint with the Owls, Hartman served as the lead recruiting coordinator at McNeese State for the 1997-98 season before entering the corporate business world for four years.

He was the analyst on the Rice radio network in 2001-02 and took over basketball operations at the midway point of the 2002-03 season.

Hartman handled the game-day operations and department communications for the basketball program as well as coordinating various community outreach programs and fundraising. He spearheaded visits to local hospitals for players and coaches as well as implementing the "Dream to Read" program which allowed players to visit local elementary and middle schools in order to speak to students about the importance of reading.

On the court, he assisted in developing the individual skills of post players, two of which were an All-WAC second team members in 2003 and one of which was a first team honoree in 2004. The Owls finished the 2003-04 season with a 22-11 record and advanced to the postseason National Invitational Tournament.

"He (Hartman) will be an excellent role model for our players and will be a great teacher with our inside players," Cyprien noted. "He is a great fit for us as a recruiter with his ties to New Orleans and Houston - two places of emphasis for us.

"I think we are lucky to have him and anticipate great things from him," Cyprien added.

Hartman, 31, earned his bachelor's degree in communications from Tulane in 1994. He was then drafted by the Rapid City Thrillers of the Continental Basketball Association in the second round of the league's annual draft and played for two seasons earning All-Rookie honors.

He was named a McDonald's All-American at Grand Island High School his senior year and also received honorable mention All-American honors from USA Today.

Hartman enjoyed a standout career with the Tulane basketball squad under the direction of former head coach Perry Clark from 1990-94. He finished sixth on the Green Wave's all-time list for steals (157) and was 10th in scoring (1,180) and rebounding (527).

He led Tulane to two NCAA Tournaments and a pair of thrilling upsets in each of his trips to the "Big Dance" including wins over St. John's in 1992 and Kansas State in 1993. The Green Wave advanced to the second round of the NIT his senior season in 1994 with a win over Evansville.

Hartman and his wife, Christine, have three daughters, Sydney, Kailyn and Tess.

LOUISIANA SI

2. Default

Carlin Hartman career

Years Location Position
    1996 - 97 Rice University Assistant coach
    1997 - 98 McNeese State University Assistant coach
    2002 - 04 Rice University Director of
    basketball operations
    2004 . . . University of Louisiana Assistant coach

Why are we hiring a guy who was in " Basketball Operations" at Rice. What in the hell is that. Can't he find somebody who is coaching? I am really puzzeled by that hire. Does anybody know what in the hell is going on.

4. UL Basketball Louisiana Basketball Coach Robert Lee looks to fill out staff

New University of Louisiana head men´s basketball coach Robert Lee has another slot to fill on his staff.

The Ragin´ Cajun boss already had to fill one coaching position, that being his own after he was named the Cajuns´ head coach upon Glynn Cyprien´s removal from the position two weeks ago.

But Lee also confirmed Monday that assistant coach Bill Pope, who had been hired by Cyprien and announced as a staff member on June 15, submitted his resignation on Friday. That leaves only Lee and Carlin Hartman, also a Cyprien hire, on the current full-time staff.

"I asked Carlin when we were leaving the gym over the weekend if he was going to call me and tell me he was leaving," Lee joked. "But we´re pretty close to filling that first spot. We can´t do anything official until Aug. 1 (Sunday), but we´re close."

Lee, who was in Orlando, Fla., Monday at a national AAU tournament, said that filling Pope´s slot would take at least two weeks, and that he would begin a search upon his return from Orlando.

Lee has held discussions with former Cajun assistant Bobby Champagne, now head coach at North Alabama, and ex-Louisiana Tech players Rennie Bailey and Johnny Simmons among others for the original vacancy created by Lee´s hiring.

Bailey is an assistant at Stephen F. Austin and Simmons is an assistant on the Tech staff — ironically, coaching the Cajuns´ 2004-05 season-opening opponent at a November all-Louisiana tournament in Baton Rouge.

"I´m still talking to them," Lee said Monday. "There´s some things with each of them that I don´t know if we can work out, some financial issues. We should know something by the end of the week."

Dan McDonald

5. UL Basketball 2005 Lee begins search to replace Hartman

An opportunity, not a better opportunity "I want to be able to do the same thing at Richmond, which would be to win the Atlantic 10 title and make the NCAA Tournament"

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns head basketball coach Robert Lee has several candidates in mind to replace assistant coach Carlin Hartman, who has accepted a position with Richmond Spiders first year head coach Chris Mooney.

"I can't name who the guys are, but I definitely have some guys in mind to replace Carlin," Lee said. "But it's just going to be a matter of whether or not they want to accept the job."

In his lone season with the Cajuns' program, Hartman, a Buffalo, N.Y. native, helped lead the team to its second consecutive Sun Belt Conference Tournament Championship and a NCAA Tournament berth.

"When I came here the goals were to win the Sun Belt Conference Tournament Championship and make it to the NCAA Tournament," Hartman said. "I want to be able to do the same thing at Richmond, which would be to win the Atlantic 10 title and make the NCAA Tournament."

Hartman admits it would have been a lot more difficult to leave Lee and the Cajuns for the Spiders had they endured an unsuccessful season.

"It would have been the unfinished business factor," Hartman said. "Leaving here is definitely sad, because the people here are great. I guess it is kind of bittersweet."

The 32-year-old Hartman also proved to be an asset in the recruiting department, helping the Cajuns program land transfers Lucian Graham (Long Beach State), David Dees (Liberty) and incoming freshman Ed Turner.

"Carlin has meant an awful lot to me and this program," Lee said. "He is directly responsible for the progress made by our post players Adam James and Chris Cameron. He's a very good recruiter. He played an instrumental part in our ability to get Lucian, David and Ed."

Lee doesn't fear that some recruits and/or transfers will have a change of heart because of Hartman's departure.

"Understandably, they are all going to be disappointed to hear that he is leaving," Lee said. "But they will understand that he is leaving for an opportunity that is better for he and his family.

"Financially, it's a better opportunity for Carlin," Lee said. "Financially they can pay him more than what we can and that's going to give him a better opportunity to provide for his family."

While financially its a better opportunity, Hartman also gets the opportunity to move back to the East Coast and closer to his family and friends.

"Being able to go back to the East Coast played a big role in my decision to take the job," Hartman said. "For the better part of the past 15 years I have been between Texas and Louisiana and this gives me the opportunity to get back closer to home. I have some family and friends in the D.C. area, so it's going to be good to get back."

Although it's tough to see Hartman leave, Lee knows that it comes with the business.

"Losing assistant coaches happens all the time," Lee said. "But I didn't just lose an assistant coach, I also loss a good friend of mine and that always makes it tougher. But I'm ecstatic that he is getting a better opportunity."

Eric Narcisse

Default Re: Lee begins search to replace Hartman

Does anyone know of a time frame that coach Lee may have set??

DaddyCajun

ps Just signed up my son for the June Session I Basketball camp!!

Default Re: Lee begins search to replace Hartman

I don't know what the time frame is, but I heard Simmons an assistent from LA Tech is the number one choice.

8. UL Basketball Carlin Hartman goes to UNLV

UNLV’s Kevin Kruger hires 1st assistant coach, Carlin Hartman.

9. Default Re: Carlin Hartman goes to UNLV

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    UNLV’s Kevin Kruger hires 1st assistant coach, Carlin Hartman.
    About Carlin Hartman, Glynn Cyprien said he had a bright future and Robert Lee never won without him

Thread Information