Thread: LSU Scheduling Spurs RPI Changes

UL Baseball LSU Scheduling Spurs RPI Changes

Gone Golfin (Brian), I read that there is a proposal out to even further the value of road wins in the RPI formula. However, rpi is just a part of the formula for getting into postseason. Can u elaborate on what you know, if this will pass, will this be called the "lsu rule?" lol

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Gone Golfin

Not Golfin but I can give some info.

For the 2013 season there is a proposal to do the following to the RPI (Ratings Performance Index).

A road victory would have a value of 1.3 instead of 1.0
    Home wins will receive a 0.7 value instead of 1.0.
    Neutral site games will remain at 1.0.

The current bonus/penalty structures would go away also. Not sure if I totally agree with that part of the proposal.

Currently, teams receive bonus points for beating top-75 nonconference opponents on the road, and penalty points for losing to bottom-75 nonconference opponents at home. There is a sliding scale within both groups.

This still needs the approval of the NCAA Championships/Sports Management Cabinet.

No doubt this will penalize the Southern power teams and help the Northern teams who are on the road early on in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ Not Golfin but I can give some info.

For the 2013 season there is a proposal to do the following to the RPI (Ratings Performance Index).

A road victory would have a value of 1.3 instead of 1.0
    Home wins will receive a 0.7 value instead of 1.0.
    Neutral site games will remain at 1.0.

The current bonus/penalty structures would go away also. Not sure if I totally agree with that part of the proposal.

Currently, teams receive bonus points for beating top-75 nonconference opponents on the road, and penalty points for losing to bottom-75 nonconference opponents at home. There is a sliding scale within both groups.

This still needs the approval of the NCAA Championships/Sports Management Cabinet.

No doubt this will penalize the Southern power teams and help the Northern teams who are on the road early on in the year. _
    This is going to pass. It will be effective in 2013.

The reason they're getting away from the bonuses is they feel it will be a double dip. Teams that win on the road will get the boost automatically with the 1.3.

This will, in fact, help the northern schools as far as their RPI is concerned. In fact, there would have been much less controversy with St. John's getting in last year if this had been in effect.

Now, your winning percentage is only 25% of how the RPI is calculated, so this isn't as drastic as one might think.

Also, home losses would count 1.3 losses and home wins would be 0.7.

I have said for years that this should be done. I had always used 1.25 and .75 in my examples, but the concept was the same.

Now.some of those "big boys" can just sit at home and make money at their big ballparks.but will do so at their own RPI expense.

Bout FREAKIN time!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    This is going to pass. It will be effective in 2013.

The reason they're getting away from the bonuses is they feel it will be a double dip. Teams that win on the road will get the boost automatically with the 1.3.

This will, in fact, help the northern schools as far as their RPI is concerned. In fact, there would have been much less controversy with St. John's getting in last year if this had been in effect.

Now, your winning percentage is only 25% of how the RPI is calculated, so this isn't as drastic as one might think.

Also, home losses would count 1.3 losses and home wins would be 0.7.
    I believe this is light years ahead of where we are today with the RPI. The factors they are proposing should bring baseball close to what is used for basketball.

I understand the double dip issue on the bonus. I just think it would be interesting to keep a very small bonus/penalty for road wins/home loss to those teams at the very top and bottom of the base RPI. Maybe bonus for top 25 road win and penalty for bottom 50 home loss.

Hopefully we can get softball to move in the same direction.

Default Re: LSU Spurs RPI Changes

I guess this will be called the "LSU rule".

Default Re: LSU Spurs RPI Changes

My guess is the Tiga schedule won't change much.at least not immediately. Then when they don't get to host or something because their RPI isn't high enough, they will then suggest that the RPI is flawed and that the committee should have looked at their overall record.

igeaux.mobi

9. UL Baseball Re: LSU Scheduling Spurs RPI Changes

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    _ Gone Golfin (Brian), I read that there is a proposal out to even further the value of road wins in the RPI formula. However, rpi is just a part of the formula for getting into postseason. Can u elaborate on what you know, if this will pass, will this be called the "lsu rule?" lol
    Others have covered the principal points here. It will obviously have some impact . as it impacts your adjusted W-L% (25% of the formula). But it has no impact on the OWP and OOWP parts of the formula, which is strange. If you are going to utilize a home/road adjustment, apply it consistently. I would have used a lower adjustment value and applied it across the board.

None of this addresses the principal flaw with the RPI that I have illustrated (regarding overweighting OWP vs. WP and OOWP). The loopholes are still there to exploit.

I think this is an improvement . but just a band-aid.

Brian

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: LSU Scheduling Spurs RPI Changes

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    _ Others have covered the principal points here. It will obviously have some impact . as it impacts your adjusted W-L% (25% of the formula). But it has no impact on the OWP and OOWP parts of the formula, which is strange. If you are going to utilize a home/road adjustment, apply it consistently. I would have used a lower adjustment value and applied it across the board.

None of this addresses the principal flaw with the RPI that I have illustrated (regarding overweighting OWP vs. WP and OOWP). The loopholes are still there to exploit.

I think this is an improvement . but just a band-aid.

Brian _
    Where the hell you been, man?? Cajun90 had to go bring you down off the mountain?

Z

Default Re: LSU Scheduling Spurs RPI Changes

It's about time they started using the basketball formula in other sports.

Thread Information