Thread: Coker's Masterpiece Steal from 3rd ( Bases Loaded )

1. UL Baseball Coker's Masterpiece Steal from 3rd ( Bases Loaded )

I captured this off the evening news.
    In a few days it will be moved to the video vault.

I didn't see the broadcast. Was there a pan shot of the triple steal?

2. Default Re: Coker's Triple Steal Inducing Home Steal Masterpeice {i-video}

Remembering Feehan (sp?) do it in the World Series, that was amazing. I don't think Southern ever thought we would THINK of trying that. Maybe could have worked with Tatford running from 3rd, being we were playing Southern. Still amazing. GO CAJUNS.

Default Re: Coker's Triple Steal Inducing Home Steal Masterpeice {i-video}

Was that Superman coming in to home?! My God! I'd love to see an overhead shot of the triple.

Simply incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCajun
    Remembering Feehan (sp?) do it in the World Series, that was amazing. I don't think Southern ever thought we would THINK of trying that. Maybe could have worked with Tatford running from 3rd, being we were playing Southern. Still amazing. GO CAJUNS.
    It dont matter who your playing that is amazing especially considering it was a right hander and a left handed batter, the ideal situation is the opposite

6. Default Coker prefers plates to bases

NEW ORLEANS - Somewhere, Steven Feehan was smiling Saturday afternoon.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns used a play Saturday that gave Feehan a national moment in the sun five summers ago, and it's with just a hint of irony that the revival came in Feehan's Crescent City hometown.

Most times, a 9-1 game doesn't come down to one play, but the Cajuns' victory over Southern in Saturday's NCAA regional elimination game was all but clinched in the second inning when John Coker shocked all 3,832 fans and Southern pitcher David Bayless when he broke for home.

Coker's head-first slide put him well under the tag of Jaguar catcher Brandon Mason, with the rare steal of home providing UL with a 4-0 lead.

"It's got to be the right situation," said Cajun coach Tony Robichaux. "It's not something we just pull out of a hat. Most of all, you've gotta have a guy with the guts to call for it and a guy with the guts to do it."

The Cajuns had those in third-base coach John Szefc, who made the call while watching Bayless warm up, and Coker, who already had 26 stolen bases this season entering Saturday's NCAA second-round game.

They also had those in 2000 on college baseball's biggest stage, when then-assistant coach Wade Simoneaux gave Feehan the green light to steal home during UL's College World Series battle with Clemson.

It worked then, with Feehan's fifth-inning steal putting the Cajuns in front 3-0. Four innings later, the New Orleans native's bunt and an error plated Rick Haydel with the game-winner in a 5-4 victory.

UL hadn't tried it since then . until Saturday.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

7. UL Baseball Coker's steal of home .

was shown as part of the highlight package last night on CSTV when they covered the UL - Southern segment. The description highlighted the intro, however they neglected to mention (or show) that it was in fact a bases loaded triple steal.

Brian

Default Re: Coker's steal of home .

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    was shown as part of the highlight package last night on CSTV when they covered the UL - Southern segment. The description highlighted the intro, however they neglected to mention (or show) that it was in fact a bases loaded triple steal.

Brian
    At least the Jags know it was a bases loaded triple steal

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Anyone know why the guy on 1st didn't steal?
    I think Lucroy was on first, regardless whoever was on first stoled.

10. Default Re: Coker's steal of home .

God bless you and get well son ---Your Cajuns love you and are all praying for you!!!!

I still say there should be a white "chalk" outline of Coker on the center field fence. Only player I've ever seen run into the fence multiple times without slowing down, even breaking the fence once.

Default Re: Coker's Masterpiece Steal from 3rd ( Bases Loaded )

and i was there to see the steal. Never forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    and i was there to see the steal. Never forget it!

Was there to see that too. It was amazing. I asked him one time what it felt like when he hit the wall and if it hurt his face. He told me it didn't hurt too bad cuz his hat would fold down and cover his face. And then he laughed.

He was the kind of player every pitcher wanted out there with them. Praying for a quick and full recovery Coker!

What's even more impressive about this steal of home is that the batter was left handed. Wow.

Thread Information