Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lady Cajuns 2005 Post Season Run

1. UL Softball Lady Cajuns leave for Friday's regional bout with Oregon

When you've been to the Women's College World Series, anything less is a letdown.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns know both sides of that equation, after the 2003 squad reached the WCWS and last year's team fell one game short in regional play.

"Those of us who have been to the World Series and all of us from last year's team have had that taste," outfielder Danyele Gomez said. "We want to get back, and we won't accept anything less."

Gomez and the rest of the Cajuns gathered their snacks, pillows, CDs and gear and boarded a charter bus on Wednesday for a nine-hour trip to Norman, Okla., where they will begin their NCAA Tournament drive on Friday against Pac-10 member Oregon.

The regional field has a familiar ring to it with host OU, the team that knocked the Cajuns out of the NCAA's last year and Oregon the Cajuns' last victim in the regional finals en route to the 2003 WCWS. They will be joined by Wichita State.

The next stage is also familiar, with the winner of the OU regional advancing to Super Regional play, likely against Arizona, a team UL ousted from the NCAA Tournament last spring.

"Now is just the time to go out and play," said second baseman Brittany Bryant. "We practice hard, and we work hard. Now we have to be ready to leave it all on the field.

"We've got to go out there relaxed and play our game."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. UL Softball Special players produce for Lady Cajuns

If Jill Robertson finishes her career No. 2 in runs scored, then it's almost certain that Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns will finish off the 2005 softball campaign in the Women's College World Series.

Robertson, the swift center fielder who is playing better than ever after missing the 2004 season with a knee injury, enters this weekend's NCAA Regional action with 206 career runs.

No. 1 on the UL list is Jerie Alexander, who scored 230 times from 1999-2002. No. 2 is former Cajun All-American shortstop Alana Addison (1999-2002) with 216.

Robertson has served as the catalyst for UL's attack all season, leading the team in hitting (.384), hits (63), runs (55), on-base percentage (.490) and stolen bases (11-of-13) and is tied for the team lead in doubles with 11.

The former Acadiana High track star, who received her degree in mechanical engineering last weekend while in Bowling Green for the Sun Belt Tournament, has reached base either by a hit or base on balls in 52 of 58 games this season.

She has a streak of 22 straight games of reaching base at least one time.

The All-Sun Belt Conference performer has struck out just 15 times in 206 plate appearances.

Usually, if Robertson gets on base, things happen. And if the 50-8 Cajuns can bring her home on a regular basis this weekend, the chances are excellent that they'll advance to Super Regional play and perhaps beyond.

AMONG THE BEST: Danyele Gomez is well on her way to being mentioned with the best players in Louisiana Ragin' Cajun softball history.

The junior right fielder was the Freshman of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference in 2003, when she set a school record with 20 home runs including a tape measure blast against Cat Osterman of Texas in the Women's College World Series.

She was a first team All-Sun Belt honoree in 2004 despite moving from the outfield to third base and seeing her home run total drop to 13 while Holly Tankersley set a new school record of 21 homers.

This year, Gomez was named the Player of the Year in the Sun Belt.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

UL Softball Lady Cajuns 7, Oregon Ducks 5

Cajuns led 6 to 1 over Oregon in the 6th inning. Homeruns by Gomez, Bertucci and Hebert. Go Cajuns. Mitchell having major control problems due to rib injury, however has limited the damage.

Default Re: Lady Cajuns vs Oregon (SOFTBALL)

Now Cajuns 6
    oregon 5
    Mitchell gave up a grandslam, Bobbit now in to pitch.

What inning?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    What inning?
    Bottom of 6th. Cajuns now led 7 to 5. Weber just hit a solo bomb.

Hey. JMVCAJUNS. Check out my post on the Cajuns WKU thread and tell me what you think about my pitching suggestions. Thanks

Game over Cajuns win 7 to 5 over Oregon. Don't really know who will start (pitcher) tomorrow, my guess Mithell but she will not be 100%. Mitchell is a big game pitcher and you want to get into the final game undefeated.

9. Default Re: Lady Cajuns 7, Oregon Ducks 5

Thanks goes out to Bil Ryckman for getting this game on the internet.

Ragin' Cajun and Lady Cajun fans everywhere are thankful.

10. UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns vs Oregon (SOFTBALL)

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    Game over Cajuns win 7 to 5 over Oregon. Don't really know who will start (pitcher) tomorrow, my guess Mithell but she will not be 100%. Mitchell is a big game pitcher and you want to get into the final game undefeated.
    Brooke must really be hurting!! She hit a number of batters, and gave up a grand slam home run. Very, very uncharacteristic. I am hoping that she got tired from not having pitched lately. We need her, IMO, to get out of this Regional, and Super Regional. I'm pulling for her. She deserves better than this in the twilight of her career as a Lady Cajun!!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    Brooke must really be hurting!! She hit a number of batters, and gave up a grand slam home run. Very, very uncharacteristic. I am hoping that she got tired from not having pitched lately. We need her, IMO, to get out of this Regional, and Super Regional. I'm pulling for her. She deserves better than this in the twilight of her career as a Lady Cajun!!
    I don't think the rib injury is affecting the velocity or movements of the pitche's just the control part, however the layoff could be affecting her stamina. I would also really feel good with Heather Bobbit in the circle she is 18-0 on the year just lacks big game experience. CharlieCajun did you get to attend Pete's sunday? If so any pictures? Thanks JMVCAJUN

12. UL Softball Re: Lady Cajuns 7, Oregon Ducks 5

Yes, I have pictures, but I will not be able to post them until I return next weeK. I am presently at our "get away" in Bay St Louis, and did not transfer the photos to my laptop. I also have some photos of the MT game Sunday that I will post. They are not Turbine quality, but they are still viewable.

Default Re: Lady Cajuns 7, Oregon Ducks 5

Thanks and enjoyed your getaway.

14. Default UL takes out big bats

Cajuns' offensive explosion impresses coach Lotief

Stefni Lotief has seen her Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns do some impressive things this season, but this time they outdid themselves.

The Sun Belt Conference champions unleashed four home runs to tie an NCAA Tournament record on Friday in a 7-5 opening round win over Oregon in Region 14 play at the University of Oklahoma.

"The offense stole the show," Lotief said while watching Friday night's game between host OU and Wichita State, with that victor meeting UL today at 1 p.m. in winners' bracket action.

"They came out swinging the bats. Kudos to Michael (husband and co-head coach Michael Lotief) for getting them ready to play. The offense put a lot of pressure on.

"They came out swinging. They were focused and intense."

Danyele Gomez started the barrage with a solo shot in the first inning, her 20th of the campaign.

Lacey Bertucci provided a three-run blast in the fourth - her 16th - to up the count to 4-0.

Tiffany Hebert found the perfect time to hit her first circuit shot of the season with a solo effort in the sixth.

And senior catcher Joy Webre provided an insurance run with a homer in the seventh.

"Danyele set the tone," Lotief said, "but if it hadn't been her it would have been somebody else the way we were swinging the bat.

"It was very hot, but nothing phased them."

In fact, Webre's solo homer came after the game was delayed by a switch in umpires required when the heat became too much for one of the crew.

The four home runs bring the Cajuns' season total to 80.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

15. UL Softball Lady Cajuns of UL tie NCAA record with four home runs

NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 14-ranked Louisiana-Lafayette softball team slammed four home runs -- tying an NCAA tournament single-game record -- in a 7-5 victory over Oregon on Friday in an NCAA regional opener at the University of Oklahoma.

The victory sets up the Ragin' Cajuns (51-8), the regional's No. 3 seed, with a showdown at 1 p.m. today against top-seeded Oklahoma, in a rematch of their regional final of a year ago. The Sooners blanked Wichita State, 2-0.

Louisiana (51-8) teed off on Oregon's Amy Harris for the second time in postseason play. Harris was the pitcher of record in the Cajuns' 6-4 win over the Ducks in an NCAA regional two years ago in Fullerton, Calif., which propelled UL-Lafayette into the Women's College World Series.

On that day, Harris lasted only one-third of an inning, giving up four runs.

Friday in Norman the Cajuns touched Harris for four home runs, getting one apiece from Danyele Gomez, Lacey Bertucci, Tiffany Hebert and Joy Webre.

Hebert and Webre's homers were solo shots, but they were runs that Cajuns used after Oregon made a late push in the sixth inning.

Second-seeded Oregon (34-24) was held at bay by UL-Lafayette starter Brooke Mitchell (28-7, 0.92 earned run average), who pitched 52/3 innings while the offense built its lead.

Heather Bobbitt relieved Mitchell with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning after Beth Boskovich's three-run home run pulled Oregon within 6-5.

Bobbitt pitched 11/3 innings of hitless relief for her second save.

"It was a thriller and a well-played game on both sides," said UL co-head coach Stefni Lotief. "It was hot out there but it was nice the way we swung the bat.

The rest of the story

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information