Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colonels Take Early Lead, Hold Off Late Cajuns Rally 8-6

1. Default Colonels Take Early Lead, Hold Off Late Cajuns Rally 8-6

THIBODAUX – Nicholls State scored five runs in the bottom of second inning and was able to hold off a furious late rally by the 19th-ranked Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns 8-6 here Tuesday night at Ray E. Didier Field.

Louisiana (44-13) lost its first midweek game since April 12, when the Cajuns lost 3-1 at Lamar in Beaumont, Texas. The loss also marked the first time the Cajuns lost a game in which they outhit their opponent (38-1).

Tuesday night's game served as Senior Night for Nicholls State (22-28) as the Colonels will close out their season at Sam Houston State this weekend.

Nicholls State starting pitch Aaron Turano (2-0) earned the win, allowing two runs on six hits in 5 1/3 innings. Chris Greer earned his fourth save of the save, scattering four hits in 2 1/3 innings.

After a three-up, three-down first inning, Louisiana starting pitcher Buddy Glass (2-2) ran into a buzz saw in the second inning, allowing five runs on five hits with a walk in 1 1/3 innings. Five Cajuns pitchers combined to allowed three more runs on six hits in 6 2/3 innings.

Nicholls State struck first, scoring five runs on six hits in the bottom of the second inning, to take a 5-0 lead over the Cajuns. With one out, Thomas Bourne singled to right field and advanced to third on Michael Muscato's double to left field. Josh Clement's single to center field scored Bourne and Muscato to give the Colonels a 2-0 lead on Senior Night.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: Colonels Take Early Lead, Hold Off Late Cajuns Rally 8-6

This one hurts bad. We just let the regionals as host slip away.

It did not hurt, because we were not going to host a regional if we would have won.

Any loss hurts but to me it just hurts a little bit more when we are suppose to win.

Yes all loses hurt but that one lose will not be the deciding factor for not receive a regional bid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan
    It did not hurt, because we were not going to host a regional if we would have won.
    I beg to differ. Before the loss our chances of hosting were a hell of a lot better than after the loss.

You are right that one loss will not be the deciding factor, but the several losses that we have had this year to far inferior teams will play a larger role.

Having said that, I still think this is a very special team and will make a lot of post season noise no matter what regional we play in.

Yes all loses hurt but that one lose will not be the deciding factor for not receive a regional bid.
    We could lose the rest of our games from here on out and we would still get an at large regional bid. The issue with losing to Nicholls has to do with hosting a regional.

Your right but, losing most of our games to teams with a losing record, high rpi's and weak strength of schedule is a deciding factor.

Tell that to LSU A&M. They have many more losses to weaker teams than we do.Let's see, powerful Centenary, Southern, and UAB to mention a few. But the writing has BEEN on the wall with regards to the REGIONAL Tournament. Barring a Nuclear Attack; Tulane and LSU will host the Regionals before us, simply because of politics and money.

That is my point with lsu playing well right now they are going to give them a regional a head of us. The only way we were going to get a regional this year is if tulane would have had an average year. (see 2000 when we beat tulane twice that year) lsu will also get a regional $$$$ and 7500.

That is my point with lsu playing well right now they are going to give them a regional a head of us. The only way we were going to get a regional this year is if tulane would have had an average year. (see 2000 when we beat tulane twice that year) lsu will also get a regional $$$$ and 7500.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. That is why it is imperative for us to beef up our non-conference schedule.

Our Sunday starter has been on the bench all year. Someone refuses to pitch Ian Pecoraro. He's got great stuff -93 with a big curve- ERA of .84. Then we would have Salazar for every midweek. It very simple.

But instead we are 8-5 against the Southland with loses to Lamar, Southeastern, MSU, Sam Houston, and Nich. St.

We always end up with a Fresh on Tues.-Wed. Come on Buddy Glass has an ERA of 6.18. Moody is 4+ as is Sanders and on the down the line.

But then again in 03 we were 4-18 before someone finally put dees and short and core behind the plate-

bingo we finish 28-28.

Ian is not goin to start because of his lack of a changeup as a 3rd pitch this has ben discussed over and over again. Coach Robe knwos what he is doing so relax and let him handle all of these decisions.

I don't miss many games and Ian has electric stuff. Buddy Glass has a flat fastball with no movement. That is why he get two strikes constantly but can't close the deal. Sit behind the catcher sometimes and look at what happens out there.

You relax with that 6+ era. I sat and watched in BR on a sunday in 02 with a good team with only 2 pitchers. The memory is still very vivid.

Look at sunday we do not have ability to sweep.

I am not saying you do not knwo your stuff but Robe knows what he is doing. Ian I believe is best coming on in relief because of his lack of a 3rd pitch and also at times he was known to have control problems. With Glass, Moody, and Blue he tried to get them innings I believe in an effort to make sure they have pitched some live innings for next year. All three are freshmen and a lot will be placed on their shoulders next year.

I'm not worried about this pitching staff, we were in hawaii and played 5 games in 5 days and we played very good and our 2 top tier pitchers only pitched 1 game a piece so I'm not worried at the depth of the pitching staff. Rode is the head coach for a reason and he will do what he see's fit to win games.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information