Thread: Opponents View: NCAA extends UO's ride with softball tourney bid

1. UL Softball Opponents View: NCAA extends UO's ride with softball tourney bid

It was a bit of a bumpy ride into the NCAA softball tournament, but for the third straight year Oregon is a part of the championship season.

The Ducks start their postseason on Friday at 3 p.m. PDT against Louisiana-Lafayette in a Region 14 first-round game at Norman, Okla. The region's other first-round matchup has 14th-seeded Oklahoma playing Wichita State.

Oregon, scheduled to leave for the Midwest on Wednesday, is one of 36 at-large teams joining 28 clubs with automatic bids to comprise the 64-team field.

There are 16 four-team regionals with double-elimination formats. The 16 winners advance to the super-regionals May 27-28, and the eight super-regional champions earn trips to the Women's College World Series at Oklahoma City, Okla., on June 2-8.

"I'm so thrilled we're going," UO coach Kathy Arendsen said after the tournament field was announced on Sunday. "You can't take anything for granted, and when you're in an at-large situation, you hope."

The Ducks finished the regular season with a 34-23 record. They were seventh in the eight-team Pac-10 Conference with a 7-14 mark. They lost 10 games to poor weather. And they did not have an all-league pitcher from last season, Ani Nyhus, because of injury.

"We've gone through struggles and adversity," Arendsen said, "but I think this is a much stronger ballclub. We peaked late and are playing very well now.

"I like our chances. I have a feeling this team can make a huge splash in the postseason."

All eight of the Pac-10 Conference teams were awarded tickets to the tournament, including sixth-ranked Oregon State, which secured the league title by virtue of tiebreakers over No. 2 California, No. 3 Arizona and No. 4 Stanford.

The eighth-seeded Beavers, 40-14, play Wisconsin-Green Bay on Friday in a Region 8 first-round game at Madison, Wis.

Oregon won its way into regional championship games the last two seasons but lost in 2004 to Florida State and in 2003 to Louisiana-Lafayette.

The rest of the story

By Bob Rodman
    The Register-Guard

Default Re: Opponents View: NCAA extends UO's ride with softball tourney bid

Lspuke must be sick right now. Was in the world series last year and failed this year to make it to the regionals this season.

Thread Information