Thread: Witness the Blossoming of Louisiana's Pitching Staff with Heather Bobbitt

1. UL Softball Witness the Blossoming of Louisiana's Pitching Staff with Heather Bobbitt

It's not like a light bulb suddenly clicked on over Heather Bobbitt's head.

The 2005 season has been more a matter of gradual awakening.

Because of that, Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns have been steaming down the stretch run of the softball season with a genuine pitching rotation.

No longer will UL coaches trot All-American Brooke Mitchell out to the pitching rubber, hoping she can handle doubleheader after doubleheader and still somehow work wonders.

Now the Cajuns have viable options. They have Bobbitt, and can throw in Ashley Kirchberg for a change of pace.

"It means a whole lot to me," said Bobbitt, a sophomore pitcher with a perfect 14-0 record for the 43-8 Cajuns. "It's an honor to be on this UL team, and it's great when the whole team tells me to get out there, we're behind you.

"I'm so happy I can help Brooke out, so she won't be killing herself out there. It feels really good to know that Brooke's got the first game and it's me next, instead of going in for just a few innings. It's nice to have my name mentioned with the team."

As a freshman in 2004, Bobbitt posted a 5-2 record while working 69 1/3 innings, thrust into action behind Mitchell and Holly Tankersley when veteran Afton Toms quit softball early in the year.

"Mentally, you need to stay prepared," Bobbitt said. "That was true last year, especially when Brooke got hurt. And we have redshirts on the team who have to stay focused. In this ball game, there's no telling what will happen.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Homes SO Clean

Thread Information