Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajun pRPI

1. UL Baseball Cajun pRPI

While the Cajun pRPI dropped to #19 after this weekend, their record against the Top 50 pRPI, Top 75 pRPI, and Top 100 pRPI dropped as well as some of the Cajun opponents fell out of these ranges. These numbers will be used in the selection and seeding process.

The Cajuns are still 6-1 against the Top 50 pRPI, but South Alabama is perilously close to dropping out of the Top 50 with a #48 pRPI. The Cajuns are 14-3 against the Top 75 pRPI but have dropped to 14-4 against the Top 100 pRPI. Recently, Hawaii has moved into the Top 100 at #92, while Cal-Davis (#104 pRPI), Arkansas State (pRPI #109), Harvard (pRPI #114), and Minnesota (pRPI #129) have dropped out. There are a few schools getting close to the Top 50. Florida International is at #56, Miami-Ohio #59, South Florida #60, and Texas State #62. Lamar (#73) and St. John's (#75) have been dropping and are on the fringe of the Top 75.

The toughest pRPI opponent remaining for the Cajuns is this week's games against Sam Houston State (pRPI #142) (2 games). After that, the Cajuns have New Mexico State (pRPI #156) (3 games), Southeastern Louisiana (pRPI #171) (1 game), Middle Tennessee (pRPI #162) (3 games), Nicholls State (pRPI #183) (1 game), and Western Kentucky (pRPI #246) (3 games) ouch!

A 3-2 week (1-1 vs. Sam Houston and 2-1 at New Mexico State) will be hurtful to the Cajun RPI. The Cajuns need to find a way to win 4/5 or sweep.

Brian

2. Default Re: Cajun pRPI

I figured something similar to this was coming.

How close does the committee pay attention to this record vs top 100?

If they do pay close attention could it actually look worse on paper to lose to a 99 pRPI than it is to lose to a 101 pRPI?

3. UL Baseball Re: Cajun pRPI

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I figured something similar to this was coming.

How close does the committee pay attention to this record vs top 100?

If they do pay close attention could it actually look worse on paper to lose to a 99 pRPI than it is to lose to a 101 pRPI?
    They certainly look at the Top 100. This is one of the items on their sheet. But at least as important is record against Top 50 since this comprises most of the teams that will actually be in the tournament.

In some instances I think it can be worse to lose to a 99 RPI squad versus a 101 RPI squad. This could hurt a squad that played a fair number of Top 100 opponents (strong schedule) but needed to improve their record against the Top 100. I think in the case of the Cajuns, the W-L record is fine against the Top 100. They just need more played games against the Top 100. Hence, I think Hawaii moving into the Top 100 is fine. But it would be nice if Arkansas State, UC Davis, and Harvard could climb back in. Especially Arkansas State as the Cajuns are 2-1 against the Indians.

Brian

Default Re: Cajun pRPI

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    They certainly look at the Top 100. This is one of the items on their sheet. But at least as important is record against Top 50 since this comprises most of the teams that will actually be in the tournament.

In some instances I think it can be worse to lose to a 99 RPI squad versus a 101 RPI squad. This could hurt a squad that played a fair number of Top 100 opponents (strong schedule) but needed to improve their record against the Top 100. I think in the case of the Cajuns, the W-L record is fine against the Top 100. They just need more played games against the Top 100. Hence, I think Hawaii moving into the Top 100 is fine. But it would be nice if Arkansas State, UC Davis, and Harvard could climb back in. Especially Arkansas State as the Cajuns are 2-1 against the Indians.

Brian
    I think that coach Robe will have to start bitting the bullet and go travel to some big 10 or big 12 schools, I know he wants to reward the dedicated fans but if we cant get quality opponents in Lafayette we will have to play them and they will have to someday return the favor.

To Mr Brian (GONE GOLFING) I was told this, that there is a possible chance that next year we could have Rice play us on a Wednesday night on there way to a conference series with Tulane being that they have to pass through Lafayette ( I-10) on there way to New Orleans and that we would return the favor and play in a tournament hosted by Rice later in the year with at least one game against them and two others against whoever would be in the tournament also. Also was told that we might be able to work some thing out with Southern Miss and Houston along the same line. Have you heard any about this? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks JMVCAJUNS

JMVCAJUNS'

I think you are right in that we will have to bite the bullet and head out on the road. As a season ticket holder myself, it would be disappointing to see the Cajuns have to travel, but as a Cajun fan I would be happy because they would be serving the program better in the long run.

I sure hope what you heard about Rice, Houston and Souther Miss is true. While I don't want to stop playing in-state schools, I sure don't think we need to fill our schedule with them. They only hurt the RPI (unless of course it is LSpuke or Tulame and Northwestern on occassion)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud
    JMVCAJUNS'

I think you are right in that we will have to bite the bullet and head out on the road. As a season ticket holder myself, it would be disappointing to see the Cajuns have to travel, but as a Cajun fan I would be happy because they would be serving the program better in the long run.

I sure hope what you heard about Rice, Houston and Souther Miss is true. While I don't want to stop playing in-state schools, I sure don't think we need to fill our schedule with them. They only hurt the RPI (unless of course it is LSpuke or Tulame and Northwestern on occassion)
    I agree it would be better to play conference USA opponents who would not only help our rpi, it would also help with recruiting, better players would come hear if they knew there would be better comptetion and publity

8. UL Baseball Re: Cajun pRPI

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    To Mr Brian (GONE GOLFING) I was told this, that there is a possible chance that next year we could have Rice play us on a Wednesday night on there way to a conference series with Tulane being that they have to pass through Lafayette ( I-10) on there way to New Orleans and that we would return the favor and play in a tournament hosted by Rice later in the year with at least one game against them and two others against whoever would be in the tournament also. Also was told that we might be able to work some thing out with Southern Miss and Houston along the same line. Have you heard any about this? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks JMVCAJUNS
    No, I have not heard this. But this would be a nice development. This would be a good question for Tony Robichaux on his weekly show or for John Szefc on Friday with Billy Ryckman.

Brian

Thanks for replying, it's will just take stronger scheduling to get people to take us serious.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    No, I have not heard this. But this would be a nice development. This would be a good question for Tony Robichaux on his weekly show or for John Szefc on Friday with Billy Ryckman.

Brian
    If this could work out like I think it could it would give fans the best of both worlds, a quality mid week opponent and a chance to stay home while returning the favor for there fans. Brian do you think this could work out?

Brian I hate to keep asking you questions, but I and most others greatly value your honesty and knowledge, your response is always apprecited. While I think UL hosting a regional is really out of question at this point with Tulane ranked #1 and Lspuke rebounding in the last few weeks, is there a chance that if we win a regional and the other regional that we are matched up against has a surprise winner and a lower seed than UL that we could host a super regional? Thanks JMVCAJUNS

12. Default Re: Cajun pRPI

If this could work out like I think it could it would give fans the best of both worlds, a quality mid week opponent and a chance to stay home while returning the favor for there fans. Brian do you think this could work out?
    Certainly it could. But it would need to be a Wednesday game and the opposing coach would need to be willing to keep the kids out of class Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The Cajuns have hosted quality midweek games against out of state teams in the past. I remember Texas coming to Lafayette in 1992. One of the few non-conference road games for Gustafson that year. Lamar is a frequent opponent.

Note that there have been some good midweek contests featuring teams from different states on TV recently. You might see TV playing more of a role in scheduling if ESPN, ESPNU, and CSTV continue to showcase college baseball in April and May. Just last week Wichita State hosted both Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Brian

13. UL Baseball Re: Cajun pRPI

Brian I hate to keep asking you questions, but I and most others greatly value your honesty and knowledge, your response is always apprecited. While I think UL hosting a regional is really out of question at this point with Tulane ranked #1 and Lspuke rebounding in the last few weeks, is there a chance that if we win a regional and the other regional that we are matched up against has a surprise winner and a lower seed than UL that we could host a super regional? Thanks JMVCAJUNS
    I am not willing to say definitively that UL hosting is out of the question. It is not. There is still a lot of ball left in the SEC. It is likely the case that the Top 5 seeds to the SEC Tournament will host regionals, with five possibly six #1 seeds. This is what happened last year. Florida was the #6 seed and was 2-2 in the SEC Tournament (tied for 3rd). But even with a pRPI of 7, they were sent to OKlahoma City with Oklahoma hosting as a #2 seed. Things are very tight in the SEC right now and anything can happen. If LSU does not finish in the Top 6, I do not think they will host. They might not host if they finish 6th. That said, I think they will finish in the Top 6. If the season ended today, LSU would finish in the Top 6, two full games and a tiebreaker ahead of Vanderbilt. Last weekend's 2-1 series win over Vanderbilt was huge for LSU's chance of hosting. LSU finishes with last place Kentucky and current #3 seed Tennessee at home, followed by the finale at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs trail the Tigers in the SEC West by 2.5 games.

Your question has come up nearly every single year in the past. And the answer is yes, the Cajuns could host a super-regional in this scenario.

If UL were to be a traveling #1 seed, they would obviously be paired up against a national seed in the opposing regional. Should someone in the opposing regional upset the national seed and the Cajuns win their regional, the Cajuns would host the super-regional provided they bid a super-regional (which they will).

Just last season, Texas A&M upset National Seed Rice and LSU was the beneficiary. After winning their own regional, LSU was awarded the super-regional site against Texas A&M.

Remember that in 1999, Rice was a traveling national seed (only because their facility was under refursbishment and the Astrodome was unavailable). They won the Lubbock regional and squared off against the Cajuns who won the Houston regional as a #2 seed. Had #2 seed Texas Tech won their own regional that year, which they almost did as Rice and ace Mario Ramos was upset by Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the opening round game, the Cajuns would have hosted Texas Tech in the super-regional (I know this from a good source).

There were several cases in 2004 and 2003 where the #1 seeds did not win their regionals and the super-regionals saw non #1 seeds square off against one another.

In 2003, National Seed Auburn was upset by #3 seed Ohio State in its own regional. In the opposing regional, #3 seed Southwest Missouri State won the Lincoln regional. So, you had two #3 seeds meeting in Columbus, Ohio with the Bears winning the trip to the CWS.

Also in 2003, #2 seeds South Carolina and North Carolina won road regionals and met in the super-regionals with South Carolina hosting.

Brian

LSU's RPI just may sag a little with a mid-week lost to Southern! Jags are faster than the Tigers, by a score of 9-5!!

Geaux Louisiana,
    DaddyCajun!

Since we won against them does that help us?

GO JAGS!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information