Page 129 of 153 FirstFirst . 119 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 139 . LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: See Mike Run: See Mike Lead the Country

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife View Post
    Then who knows how we'll do next year, let's say 7-5 just to be safe.
    yeah, that seems like a real conservative estimate right about now. look, the young man is a great player, with a ton of heart, and is bound to be the best option the team has at the position. if his record at the end of his career is poor, it'll be the TEAM's record, it's not on him.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    yeah, that seems like a real conservative estimate right about now. look, the young man is a great player, with a ton of heart, and is bound to be the best option the team has at the position. if his record at the end of his career is poor, it'll be the TEAM's record, it's not on him.
    Have you ever seen him play? Live? Not harassing you, just curious. He is pretty darned amazing.

Z

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Mike is going to be heralded for his QB athleticism, not remembered for losses this whole program mounted under his leadership. He is a great running QB and an improving passing QB. We are going to see him get better at reading defenses, timing his passing a little better, and I think (his biggest weakness) he will start getting a feel for his deep passing.

Many times against NT, Chery was covered in man to man by a little corner. I cannot believe we haven't worked out a timing play that Mike knows to just drop back, hop twice, and let er launch. I did drop a deep one to Chery against that little DB, but nearly got picked. I watched Mike set up for that throw and he was fidgety. He has to trust the pocket pass protection and just throw his pre-timed toss.

I was very impressed and have been more impressed with Smith. He did drop two passes that he should not have (easy for me to say), and they were difference making plays. I would like to see some better routes with Falgoust included. Also, if we can get TEs catching touchdowns in the endzone, we ought to be able to have that as a play anytime/anywhere.

Overall, I think our receivers are starting to gel. We are fortunate that we did get some passing into our offense this year, as opposed to some who thought we shouldn't pass at all. With injuries to key backs, our improved passing game should help keep us in decent shape moving ahead.

4. UL Football Official UL Injury Report (Mid week of ASU game)

Kevin Belton, TE (calf – probable)
    Brad Bustle, OL (knee – probable)
    Richie Falgout, WR (knee – probable)
    Tyrell Fenroy, RB (ankle – probable)
    Chris Fisher, OL (knee – probable)
    Eric Jones, TE (knee – questionable, upgraded from out)
    Torres Kingsby, DB (hamstring – probable, upgraded from questionable)
    Chris Lanaux, DL (thumb – probable)
    Jesse Newman, OL (ankle – questionable, upgraded from out)
    Kyle Pirtle, OL (knee – out for season)
    Junior Ramos, OL (knee – probable)
    Mark Risher, LB (shoulder– probable, upgraded from questionable)
    Michael Schultz, DB (elbow – out)
    Matt Ulm, TE (back – questionable)
    Deon Wallace, RB (stomach – probable, upgraded from out)
    LaQuincy Williams, DL (elbow – probable)

RaginCajuns.com

5. UL Football Five questions for wide receivers coach Daryl Mason.

Q: How did practice go this week?

Mason: "We practiced hard on Tuesday, but we added some things offensively and we didn’t execute as well as we should have. The team picked it up on Wednesday.”

Q: Describe the difference in practice this week?

Mason : "It was hard to practice after losing five straight games. There are a lot more positive things to build on after a win. You still make mistakes, but there are many more positives.”

Q: How much has the first win done to help the team?

Mason : "Our spirits are very high right now. I’m hoping that winning is contagious. Our players enjoyed the win over North Texas and want to recapture that feeling.”

Q: What are Arkansas State’s strengths on defense?

Mason : "They are very talented. Their linemen are athletic. The linebackers are extremely aggressive. Their secondary is led by Tyrell Johnson - a potential All-American. He’s going to be very active and present a tough challenge.”

Q: The Cajuns are a run-first team, but several different receivers have had the ball thrown their way?

Mason : “Derrick Smith is making some big plays for us. I would like for some of the other guys to pick it up some and get more involved.”

RaginCajuns.com

6. UL Football Same focus different place

UL football coach Rickey Bustle said Wednesday that his team is still improving following last week's first win of the season - but more positive steps are still necessary.

"We've got people playing pretty well right now that weren't playing well two weeks ago," Bustle said. "I've had a good feeling about this team all year. If we continue to improve, a lot of good things can happen."

The Cajuns (1-5, 1-1 Sun Belt) travel to face Arkansas State's Indians at 6 p.m. Saturday in Jonesboro, and will go for their first road win after UL won three times on the road last year.

The rest of the story

7. UL Football Fleming makes quick transition as a true freshman for Cajuns

UL's coaching staff had high hopes for Grant Fleming when practice opened in August, and the St. Thomas More product more than lived up to those hopes during the first month of the season.

But last weekend - that was above and beyond the call of duty.

Most football teams don't ask true freshmen to play 80 defensive snaps in a game, especially at linebacker. Even fewer would also have him on virtually every special team.

"We figure he was on the field for about 100 plays," said UL defensive coordinator and linebacker coach Kevin Fouquier of last Saturday's contest against North Texas. "That's just a crazy number, to have someone out there that much."

But the Cajuns needed Fleming, and his numbers - seven tackles, a fumble recovery and a pass breakup - don't tell the full story of his contributions in the 38-29 Sun Belt Conference win over the Mean Green.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

8. UL Football Opponent View: Fewer roles leave Desormeaux with lot to do

It’s not going to be easy for Arkansas State to keep an eye on Michael Desormeaux on Saturday.

Louisiana-Lafayette’s junior quarterback is not only mobile and elusive, he is also a master of disguise.

Last season, Desormeaux played quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back in dime situations and had roles on several special teams, including the punt-block unit and the hands team on the kickoff return squad.

In his various roles, Desormeaux scored a rushing touchdown, had a 51-yard run on a fake punt, recovered an onside kick, recovered 3 fumbles, made 4 tackles and had 6 catches for 52 yards. Four of the receptions came against Arkansas State.

Maybe it’s better for the Indians that Desormeaux is just the quarterback this year. At least they’ll know where he is.

The rest of the story

BY TODD TRAUB

UL Football Re: See Mike Run: See Mike Lead the Country

Quote Originally Posted by showdog View Post
    _ He keeps proving my point. He's a great athlete. Should be a halfback. Sorry but he's not a QB. I've watched the tape of the NTSU game 3 times and he's terrible at setting up to throw a pass. Even rolling out you have to plant then throw. He may have had a couple dropped, threw 2 actually great passes.

The others were either mediocre or way off the mark.

Folks, I'm not criticizing him, it's just that we need a good QB and then Des and Fenroy could probably get 150 to 175 in rushing per game plus the passing yardage a great arm could get us. _
    Yeah, he's a really bad passer. Must be why he is a whole 3% this year behind the career leader in completion percentage in UL history. He and Fenroy are ALREADY accounting for right at 200 yards/game rushing, even with Tyrell's injury.

Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll get one right.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ Yeah, he's a really bad passer. Must be why he is a whole 3% this year behind the career leader in completion percentage in UL history. He and Fenroy are ALREADY accounting for right at 200 yards/game rushing, even with Tyrell's injury.

Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll get one right. _

I guess Brian Mitchell should have been a halfback too

If Desmo was the QB last year, we go 8-4 and go to a bowl game.

Default Re: Heavy downpour with TV option keeps Fans away from Great Game.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog View Post
    _ Not since Toby Warren was AD in the 70's when Tammierello was FB coach did we have someone who understood marketing this program. You've hit the nail on the head.

Years ago I was in a sports apparel shop at the Riverwalk in New Orleans. They had hats and jerseys etc. from practically every school in the state plus all the national biggies. There was nothing from then USL. I asked the store owner why and he said noone from USL seemed to be interested in getting their products into his store. Unreturned phone calls etc.

We have missed the boat with the lack of promoting the "Ragin Cajuns" theme. _
    Naa dont you know. everything is fine. everything is ok just need to be patient. we don't have any money the powers in BR dont like us the weather was bad too much negativity got to stop being negative or the coaches/administration will get their feelings hurt {sarcasm off}

You are dead right. aggression ended when Toby Warren left

now we have Dr A's hand picked successor life will be grand for all CURRENTLY involved

Default Re: See Mike Run, See Mike Lead the Cajuns, See Mike Lead the Country

I'm so tired of people saying that suff like this. If they would have played Mike instead of Jerry we would have done this. Or Mike is the next Brian Mitchell.

Jerry started for four years. And was the starting quaterback for our first winning season since the wheel was invented. Could we leave Jerry out of it and just appreciate Mike. There is no way to make the claim if Mike was quaterback in year X, we would have done this or if Jerry was the quaterback we would have done that.

I work with a former G.A. from a Sunbelt school. He just left last year, and told me that Jerry made the Cajuns a tougher matchup.

I think Mike is unbelievable. Is he equivalent to Brian Mitchell, of course not, Brian Mitchell is the best player in UL football history bar none. (Insert Turbine random historical reference here). Brian Mitchell was a better player, on a better team, in a better era.

The problem is we don't have any wins to cheer for, so we are stuck debating about quaterbacks. Hopefully, we can get some guys around Mike next year, at his level so he can take the program to where it needs to go.

13. UL Football Lamar Morgan a 2007 NFF Draddy Trophy Semifinalist

DALLAS, October 11, 2007 - Selected as the best and the brightest from the college gridiron, The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) today announced the 153 semifinalists for the 2007 Draddy Trophy, presented by HealthSouth, and the candidates for the NFF 2007 National Scholar-Athlete Awards.

One of college football's most sought after and competitive awards, the Draddy Trophy recognizes an individual as the absolute best in the country for his combined academic success, football performance and exemplary community leadership.

"The NFF is extremely proud of this year's group of semifinalists," said NFF President & CEO Steven J. Hatchell. "Their substantial commitment to academic excellence, athletic prowess and community service is commendable, and it is our responsibility to honor them for their dedication on and off the playing field. These players are the greatest illustration of how we hope to build leaders through football."

Nominated by their schools, which are limited to one nominee each, semifinalists must be a senior or graduate student in their final year of eligibility, have a GPA of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, have outstanding football ability as a first team player, and have demonstrated strong leadership and citizenship. Established to honor former NFF Chairman Vincent dePaul Draddy, a Manhattan College quarterback who developed the Izod and Lacoste brands, the award comes with a 24-inch, 25-pound bronze trophy and a $25,000 post-graduate scholarship.

This year's semifinalists maintain a 3.58 average GPA in diverse majors such as physics and ocean engineering. Sixty-six players have earned all- conference recognition on the field and 106 have served as captains. The offensive line produced the most nominees with 31 candidates. Receivers and linebackers followed with 26 nominees each. Offense outscored the defense with 80 to 53 hopefuls. Twenty special teams aspirants completed the contingent. Nominees hail from all NCAA divisions and the NAIA, including a record 67 contenders from the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A).

The NFF Awards Committee will select and announce up to 15 finalists on Oct. 25. Each finalist will be recognized as part of the 2007 National Scholar- Athlete Class, receiving an $18,000 post-graduate scholarship. The Draddy winner, who will receive a $25,000 postgraduate scholarship, will be announced at the NFF's Annual Awards Dinner on December 4 at the prestigious Waldorf=Astoria in New York City. A total distribution of more than $300,000 in scholarships will be awarded that evening.

Launched in 1959, the NFF scholar-athlete program became the first initiative in history to credit a player for both academic and athletic accomplishments. The Draddy, first awarded in 1990, adds to the program's mystique.

The rest of the story

FootballFoundation.com

Default Re: Official UL Injury Report (Mid week of ASU game)

Good to see a few guys coming back.

Default Re: See Mike Run, See Mike Lead the Cajuns, See Mike Lead the Country

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ I'm so tired of people saying that suff like this. If they would have played Mike instead of Jerry we would have done this. Or Mike is the next Brian Mitchell.

Jerry started for four years. And was the starting quaterback for our first winning season since the wheel was invented. Could we leave Jerry out of it and just appreciate Mike. There is no way to make the claim if Mike was quaterback in year X, we would have done this or if Jerry was the quaterback we would have done that.

I work with a former G.A. from a Sunbelt school. He just left last year, and told me that Jerry made the Cajuns a tougher matchup.

I think Mike is unbelievable. Is he equivalent to Brian Mitchell, of course not, Brian Mitchell is the best player in UL football history bar none. (Insert Turbine random historical reference here). Brian Mitchell was a better player, on a better team, in a better era.

The problem is we don't have any wins to cheer for, so we are stuck debating about quaterbacks. Hopefully, we can get some guys around Mike next year, at his level so he can take the program to where it needs to go. _

And I'm tired of the Desmo is not a QB nonsense, but I think people have the right to post that OPINION. Nowhere in my post did I claim he was as good as Brain Mitchell.so that part of your rant is off the mark. But since he was a runner, not a pure passer (as proven by how he was used in the NFL) the comparison is legitimate. Desmo doesn't have to be as good as he is to be a similar player with similar talents.

And that first winning season since the wheel was invented was a total bust untill we figured out we were a running team.which happened when Desmo was at the helm. Fact. The rest is my opinion and if you are truely tired of seeing peoples opionions on the state of the football team, I suggest not seeking them out by reading a internet bulliten board.

Methinks I stepped on some STM toes

Thread Information