Page 121 of 153 FirstFirst . 111 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 131 . LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

1. UL Football Win has Cajuns back on track

The relief was obvious in their voices, but UL's football squad was quick to point out that Saturday's 38-29 win over North Texas was only one step in its journey.

"I hope they're already thinking about Arkansas State," said Cajun coach Rickey Bustle. "I'm hoping this is the one that can get us cranked up a little bit."

The 1-5 Cajuns evened their Sun Belt Conference record (1-1) and ironically stand tied for third place in the league chase after that lone win. Also, ironically, they're in better shape after two league games than the 2005 squad that lost its first two Sun Belt outings and then won five in a row to share the league title.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Different announcer at the football game last night

Quote Originally Posted by RAGINCAJUN98 View Post
    _ I agree w/ USLJIM, but the thing i dislike the most is the Homer Simpson crap at the baseball games. That annoys me. I wish he could just announce the games. Congrats on your award though. _
    I'm the opposite. I don't mind it so much at a baseball game because its a totally different atmosphere, and he fits better in that atmosphere than in the football atmosphere.

I once met TD at an athletic shoe store that I was working at. he was doing a remote for the radio station. I went up to him and told him that my dad listened to his show and some other small talk. I asked him if he was checking out any of our great sales and deals that we were offering (i think it was a back to school type thing). He told me, "Well, its like my momma always told me.You can't save a nickel without spending one." I was already reluctant to talk to the guy becasue i figured it would probably not add anything to my day, but never had i heard something that was so profound yet also made me feel a little dumber at the same time.

3. UL Football UL finds itself in the SBC chase

Saturday's 38-29 victory over North Texas did a lot more than give UL its first football win of the season.

That lone win put the Cajuns into the thick of the early Sun Belt Conference race.

UL stands tied for third in the league with its 1-1 conference record, trailing Troy (3-0) and Florida Atlantic (2-0) and tied with Middle Tennessee and UL Monroe heading into an abbreviated week (two games) of league play.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Heavy downpour and TV coverage keeps fans away (Thread split)

I left my house at 5:15

My 3 year old and I bought tix at the gate and went in at 5:45. I was more than happy to buy them.

5. UL Football UL football program hurt by a low budget

I am a 1956 alumnus of SLI, now ULL. I was saddened to read a letter to the editor by a 1970 alumnus from New Iberia criticizing the football athletes and coaches without offering his fix.

Apparently this guy was embarrassed because we were beaten by a division 1-AA college.

I don't believe we should be embarrassed. We are a 1-A college, true, but on a 1-AA budget. Also, 1-AA McNeese State is ranked by some as No. 1 in the nation. Division 1-AA athletes put their pants on one leg at a time just like the 1-A athletes, so I would be hard pressed to pick the winner between LSU and McNeese State.

Football games are won because of flukes and referee decisions, but mostly because one team has more dominant athletes than the other, be he 1-A or 1-AA.

UL chose to play at 1-A level on a weak budget, which pits us against elite programs.

The rest of the story
    FRANCIS LARRIVIERE
    OPELOUSAS

Default Re: Heavy downpour and TV coverage keeps fans away (Thread split)

Folks this is what I was talking about last week when everyone was saying we cant afford to buy-out Bustle IMO we can't afford to NOT buy him out.

The community has this feeling about UL that it is stagnant. no direction. and worse no COMMITTMENT to football.And I'm not sure it is wrong.

So when you put together the "Perfect Storm" (Pun intended). Terrible weather the game is on the tube. and oh yes that school accross the river is playing lights out (hate to admit it but true) and is on National TV.

The Perfect Storm and the malaise in the community regarding UL Football is going to kill this program. That is whay I am so PASSIONATE about a change. one I know is not coming this year but I am still the lone voice in the wilderness

Think about it what an announcement like this would do

"After a long period of contemplation about the football program here at UL, I have come to the very difficult decision . that this program has not progressed to a point that meets our expectations. Coach Bustle came into this situation at a very difficult time and has done everything we have asked of him and more. He is a good man. a good coach. but the program has not achieved what I expect it to have after 6 years and at this point we are making a change. Effective immediately he is being relieved of his duties as Head Football Coach. Coach (pick one) will serve as head coach for the remainder of the year.

Effective immediately we are beginning the search for a new coach. We wanted to get this done as soon as the season is over so recruiting will not be impacted or at least will have little impact due to the transition. To meet this aggressive timetable we have to start now

At this point I would like to make a few comments about this program and this Univeristy. UL is the second largest public university in Louisiana and we are going to start acting like it. I am hereby appointing Gerald Hebert to head up a committee to raise $20 million over the next 5 years as an endowment to benefit football and football only.To the business community that will be hearing from Gerald I ask simply that you listen It is a new day at UL and we want you to be a part of it.And that is just the beginning. We plan on not only making this program competitive but the new coach will be tasked with building this program into a regional competitor that will year in and year out be in the mix for bowl games Athletics in general, and football in particular, help to build an identity for a university that has ancillary benefits beyond the playing field We recognize that today and our committment to funding that program changes also today.

We will begin today an intensified lobbying effort of our local legislators and those in communities like Ruston and Monroe and Hammond and New Orleans and Thibodeaux and Lake Charles and Nachotish (guys I know I butchered that spelling) to allow for student fees for funding that will put us on an equal funding footing with programs in the states in which our atletes compete.

Finally I want to say congratulations to LSU on an outstanding football season. Your tradition is unmatched anywhere in this country and we are all pulling for you to win yet another national championship. Today I am putting a call into Chancellor (whoever) to enlist his support in these endeavors. The years of rivalry and petty bitterness between certain elements at both universities must end. LSU is the flagship of this state. always has been. Always will be. we do not strive to take anything away from that status But Chancellor (whoever) can we not have a state in which we have institutions that excel outside of LSU?? We are not and never will be in a situation to take away from your excellence. But we are striving for our own piece of excellence. I hope I can count on your support (I would then excuse myself to puke over having said this. but politics is politics right??)

It is a new day a new beginning for the University of Louisiana. I will take questions for a few minutes but then I have to go to work. We have years of catching up to do"
    Well thats what I would do anywaylol

Default Re: Heavy downpour with TV option keeps Fans away from Great Game.

and go after which coach exactly?

how much do you pay him?

Bustle was lured away from a top tier program and works for peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ and go after which coach exactly?

how much do you pay him?

Bustle was lured away from a top tier program and works for peanuts. _
    And it has not worked So you try again or maybe you like having 5,000 people in the stands and opening 0-5 after 6 years??

Default Re: why???

any way to know what donations goto the football program?

Default Re: why???

Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    _ I am going to answer your questionready?

$$$$$$$$ & POLITICS

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? _
    We keep waiting for the legislature to allow us to get more money for athletics from student fees. We blame everything on the legislature and on LSU. Yet, we don't privately raise money nor to we help ourselves with low attendance like Saturday night's game at 9,800. And, we don't have a season ticket holder base. When we do win a big game and get the community behind us lik after the Houston game last year, fans come out only to see us fall flat on our faces. When we play a 1AA school like McNeese and get 34,000 fans, we have an opportunity to build on that. Instead, we lose to these guys and it is back to business as usual. Why should the general public care if we don't seem to care ourselves. We tolerate losing and do nothing to change it. All of those factors are why we are where we are. No one has had a vision for athletics over the past 30 years. Attendance wise, we are where we were with Baldwin. How bad is that? There are a lot of universities located in towns much smaller than Lafayette that average over 50,000 per game.

Until UL comes out with a statement to the general public that we have a vision and a 5 year or 10 year plan on how to get there and begin making changes that will tell the people that UL is to be taken seriously, the general apathy towards UL will continue, and perhaps rightly so. I am a diehard UL fan and alumnus, but this university cannot survive with only the handful of diehard fans like us.

I was smart Saturday. Packed my son a bag with a towel and some toys. I saw it was raining so I put on his ULL flip flops. Apparently kids like to stomp in puddles.

Of course I got to watch about 5 minutes before he went had to goto the bathroom. When we walked in there was a solid inch of water on the floor. I'm sure most of it was water.

Also he wanted some cotton candy. The first one I bought him was obviously from last week because it was hard and about 1/4 of the size of the bag. When I looked at it there were ants all over inside the bag. I brought it bag and they tried to sell me the line of bull____ that . he put those outside before the others. Gimmie a break.

Default Re: Different announcer at the football game last night

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    TD annoys me.

"Let 'em hear you Cowboy fans!"????

What a clown.
    He has always done this.even back during the ice gator games. Maybe if the cajun fans would get off their hands or do something creative like turn their backs, read the newspaper etc etc. then it would mean something.

UL Football Fenroy only 7 touches?!

WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING HIM THE BALL MORE? He is the center of our offense and he only got 7 carries on Saturday, HE STILL GOT 123 YARDS. What could he have done with 15-20 carries???? This is no good.

Default Re: Fenroy only 7 touches?!

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife View Post
    _ WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING HIM THE BALL MORE? He is the center of our offense and he only got 7 carries on Saturday, HE STILL GOT 123 YARDS. What could he have done with 15-20 carries???? This is no good. _
    Because he's still not 100%.

Saw him gimping off the field in the 4th Qtr BEFORE he made the big gain to set up the clinching field goal.

Default Re: Fenroy only 7 touches?!

The guy is in obvious pain Playing all on heart. along with a bunch of others

Thread Information