Page 18 of 153 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

1. Ragin' Cajuns Re: It Gameday!!!

I can say that I was very happy with the effort. It looked like Bustle did a good job getting the team ready for the game. The offense looked very familiar to last years offense with the exception of the QB position. D-mo does not seem to hesitate to run with the ball. His decision making was great last night. I hope he can stay healthy, he can be a nightmare for opposing defences. It is possible that he a Fenroy could each have 1,000 yrds by the end of the season. I think the defense did an okay job, they will have to work on getting off the field on 3rd down. To many conversions were made on 3rd and long. Lets pack the stadium next week and have a bon temps!

Default Re: Cajuns vs Ohio

Cats looked a little inconsistent last night, but I hope to chalk it up to working out the kinks during the first game. I hope. I wasn't too happy with Garnder-Webb racking up 264 yards passing, and they were in the game 24-14 early in the fourth before the Cats put it away. OU racked up 432 yards of offense; surprisingly, more than half were through the air, so that was good to see. Brad Bower (No. 14) has, in my humble opinion, solidified himself as the No. 1 QB but Theo Scott (No. 3) got in some good reps as No. 2. RB Kalvin McRae (No. 5) ran for 142 yards, and his backup, Josh Abrams (No. 6), blocked three punts and ran for a score on offense. Plus, an 85-yd punt return for a score by Chris Garret (No. 2 - he's exciting) was called back on a roughing the kicker penalty. In all, an OK opener and still nervous about the game vs. Louisiana.

By the way, just as we prefer to be called "Ohio" as oppposed to "Ohio U." or, heaven forbid, "university of Ohio," do you prefer "Louisiana" over "Louisiana Lafayette"?

http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/sports/m...090107aaa.html

http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/sports/m....html#GAME.TEM

Default Re: It Gameday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    _ My thoughts!
    The Good:
    D-Mo, Fenroy, and Wallace looked great
    WR's caught the ball in traffic
    Wallace did have some nice runs and I think that is getting lost in the wake of Des' and Fenroy's performances. Also, seeing the WR's apparently running good routes and holding onto ball was a major improvement from last year. Lets hope they can keep up and improve on that evne more. I would like to see us go downfield with the pass just a bit more to balance out the attack.

OK, just by looking at the box score, some of my thoughts:

We're going to run the ball, with a definite "eff you, stop us" attitude. Hell, Desormeaux had 163 yards rushing.
    NO TURNOVERS: HUGE
    370 yards of offense against a SEC bowl team? Wow!
    Too many penalties!

I know I'll be a "bad fan" for admitting this, but I was going into the weekend hoping to lose by 14 or less. A very good showing for the Cajuns, in my opinion. Hopefully we don't get manic like we did last year and have really amazing games and really ... crappy ... games. Consistent performance like the one against SC will be great for the players, coaches, and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats82 View Post
    Cats looked a little inconsistent last night, but I hope to chalk it up to working out the kinks during the first game. I hope. I wasn't too happy with Garnder-Webb racking up 264 yards passing, and they were in the game 24-14 early in the fourth before the Cats put it away. OU racked up 432 yards of offense; surprisingly, more than half were through the air, so that was good to see. Brad Bower (No. 14) has, in my humble opinion, solidified himself as the No. 1 QB but Theo Scott (No. 3) got in some good reps as No. 2. RB Kalvin McRae (No. 5) ran for 142 yards, and his backup, Josh Abrams (No. 6), blocked three punts and ran for a score on offense. Plus, an 85-yd punt return for a score by Chris Garret (No. 2 - he's exciting) was called back on a roughing the kicker penalty. In all, an OK opener and still nervous about the game vs. Louisiana.

By the way, just as we prefer to be called "Ohio" as oppposed to "Ohio U." or, heaven forbid, "university of Ohio," do you prefer "Louisiana" over "Louisiana Lafayette"?

http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/sports/m...090107aaa.html

http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/sports/m....html#GAME.TEM
    Welcome to the boards! Looks like we're heading for a good game next Saturday.

Just like you, we like to be referred to by the state-only name "Louisiana." But don't tell the other institution about it.

We are going to beat OHIO.

The MIGHTY RAGIN CAJUN STEAMROLLING ZONE OPTION FREAK SHOW is in town.

Resistance is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Physicist View Post
    _ Two trips inside the five and nothing to show for it. That hurts. _
    On one of those trips we had something to show for it...another of the official's making up to Spurrier with a holding penalty. We go up the middle, score and get called for holding? Give me a break!!

In today's football enviroment you could call holding on every play. When there is an obvious late hit out of bounds by SC, the official(??) is standing nearby and there is no call, well......??

Then to top of my P.O.'d mood I read in the Advocate this quote by Spurrier, "Now we know we are a bunch of average stiffs and we will have an average year if we don't play better. So maybe this was good for us." WHAT A PUTDOWN ON THE CAJUNS!!Could it be that the Cajuns made them look average? If I were Spurrier I would throw a few kudos at the officials(??).

That's just Steve Spurrier for you. He's always been that way. Does anybody have any final stat lines for guys? I wasn't able to watch most of the game, just caught some highlights. I know we severely outrushed them. But that's about it.

Default My thoughts on the game

The Positives--

-Dez proved that he can play the QB position effectively and provide veteran leadership in that role.

-The 3 headed running game of Des, Fenroy, and Wallace is unstopable when it clicked in the first game.

-Oline for being young looked good, and created good holes for the RB's to work with

-Defensive Backfield (our achilles heal on defense last year) Had flashes last night with an interception (we almost forgot what those were like last year) and a few batted balls and one that should have been an INT. Overall, appears to be the MOST improved part of the team.

The Negatives -

-The ability to throw the ball down the field is what will ultimately take this team to the next level. The intermediate pass routes are nice, but we need to be able to go downfield as we did on the play to Derrick Smith down to the 2 yard line (on 3rd an 25 I think it was).

-The defensive backs played well, but can only do so much if the Dline and LB's dont get more pressure in the QB's face. I look for a better pass rush next weekend.

-3rd down and long Defense, I saw it again last night, Just like we did last year. We CANNOT allow this many 3rd and long conversions. After such plays, the players look deflated almost every time a strong drive will ensue.

The Inbetweens -

-The WR's showed flashes of improvement, but didn't legitimately have a shot to show true improvement as all pass plays were for very short gains. The positive was when they were thrown to them, they caught. The unknown comes from being able to say for sure if they have the ability to be a home run threat.

The Tuffguy random thought goes to...

"Where the heck did USC find a kid that can kick 1000 yard, every single kickoff was 5 yards deep even after they moved the ball back!"

Tuffguy

Default Re: My thoughts on the game

Agree with all of your assessments especially the point of 3rd and long and giving it up too often. Reminded me of last year.

Overall game was very competitive. A break here or there and we could have got a W.

On to the Ohio Bobcats.

Ps- Wonder what the Michigan Boards are discussing this am.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection View Post
    _ Agree with all of your assessments especially the point of 3rd and long and giving it up too often. Reminded me of last year.

Overall game was very competitive. A break here or there and we could have got a W.

On to the Ohio Bobcats.

Ps- Wonder what the Michigan Boards are discussing this am.

CC _
    I hope they are discussing how they will come back and squash the duckys next week.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Anyone who comments on precisely what happened would be correct. As to an evaluation... for the first game of the season, away, at an SEC opponent... every single aspect of our performance was extremely good. I was overwhelmingly pleased. Overwhelmingly pleased. Any doubt about new coaches, new starting QB, only having a running game, so on and so forth, were completely dispelled. We even executed the short sure pass routes correctly and successfully. You do not make an assessment of a downfield passing game based on your first game, against an SEC defense, away, and with a QB that is just getting his hands on the controls.

Everything from here on out will be a challenge, but I see no reason for excuses or prognostications of doom. Overwhemingly pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Anyone who comments on precisely what happened would be correct. As to an evaluation... for the first game of the season, away, at an SEC opponent... every single aspect of our performance was extremely good. I was overwhelmingly pleased. Overwhelmingly pleased. Any doubt about new coaches, new starting QB, only having a running game, so on and so forth, were completely dispelled. We even executed the short sure pass routes correctly and successfully. You do not make an assessment of a downfield passing game based on your first game, against an SEC defense, away, and with a QB that is just getting his hands on the controls.

Everything from here on out will be a challenge, but I see no reason for excuses or prognostications of doom. Overwhemingly pleased.
    If my assessment of the game is taken as doom and gloom, dont. Its just observations at the game that we played very well in. If our "down and distance" and "Dline and Linebacker QB pressure" are some of our only negatives, then we're in MUCH better shape than anyone thought. The things I quoted are most likily the exact things that the coaches saw and will work on this week. I think next week we will see more down the field passes and I think they will work, I just think we could have done it yesterday as well.

Take it easy

Again, our DBs blow assignments. Our D line and LB's did a pretty good job of stopping the run. minus zanders and #47. We lost several big plays to them being out of position. I'd like to see our Dline get a little more pressure in passing situations. anywho, we gave them the first two touchdowns bc of field position. but the two blown assignments by db's cost us 14 points. as far as fenroy goes, he's a beast. mike d. is a warrior. however, the fact that we can drive the ball 70+ yards and get stuffed inside the 10 twice is humiliating. there is no one to blame here but the play callers. but, the fact that we could hang with one of the toughest teams on our schedule was impressive. I strongly believe we can pull out a conference title. Go UL

Quote Originally Posted by DDD Cajun View Post
    I'm sorry, but were you watching the same game I was??? I don't think they blew it out of the water, but the score should have been 21-28 with respect to the holding penalty....It doesn't seem to me that USC thought it was that easy...But yes I do think we need to fix a few things for next week and come out strong!

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!
    Whoa there!! Check the timestamp on my post ..it was after their first TD drive . But a pretty good game by the Cajuns , i thought it would be a patented Spurrier run up the score game ...but we hung in there and couple of conversions in the end zone and things would've been really interesting .

Page 18 of 153 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 ... LastLast

Thread Information