Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: Michael Desormeaux Era Begins At UL?

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    _ The little I saw of Desmo I like. A lot of heart and some talent. I will take that over talent and a little heart any day. _
    This is exactly what I keep trying to get at. We're Div. I, Why can't we find someone with both???

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More
    _ Ah... and while everyone was creaming about some other overbloated BCS QB from University of the Billions, Mr. Jake Delhomme came out of absolutely nowhere USA and had to do it without Street and Smith's... SO.... your point is?.... _
    I'll ask the same question. What is your point?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by showdog
    _ This is exactly what I keep trying to get at. We're Div. I, Why can't we find someone with both??? _
    I always like to talk about these comparisons with O-lineman. The big beefy 6'5" +, 320# +, guys are always going to go to BCS schools, just because they can. Seldom will they come here. Therefore, it is to our advantage to work with the smaller more athletic guys and run a slightly different system.

I think that we either go with focusing all our efforts to getting big OL's that can pass and run block effectively week in and week out, a passing QB that is smart enough to run an offense and has an accurate arm deeper than 25 yds, and a quality running back that is big enough to handle the beatings from running between the tackles 15-20 times per game, and fast enough to take it outside on the sweep 5-10 or more times per game. And try to land great route runners, who run 4.5 or better, and are 6'2+ or taller. But those guys are really hard to get at a school like UL, much less trying to get a whole team full of them.

I think that doing what we're doing is better and we have a better chance at being successful with it. Our QB may not be most effective 20+ yds downfield (and we only have a few games to go off of, and haven't seen him try to do so recently, i.e. we don't know how much better he could have gotten). Our offensive linemen are talented and athletic, can pass block on the quick drops and can also get out on screens and up field blocks, and have some good size. Our RBs are tough enough to take a few beatings per game between the tackles, but are speedy enough, especially when interacting with our speedy QB, to get outside and help open up the field on other plays they aren't involved in.

If we could get players like that on a regular basis, then we wouldn't be worried about making a bowl game this year. Just my thoughts.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by showdog
    _ I'll ask the same question. What is your point? _
    My point is that MD has not proven that he is not a D1 QB. I'd like to see him get the starting role under an offensive coordinator who knows how to utilize his talents. I have a strong suspicion that Bustle and staff are not having the other QBs work out as linebackers however, and have them as prepared as possible to run the offense. MD probably fits in behind the offense that Jerry Babb ran (high mobility) as good as anyone on the roster. Whether that should be the future for us might be something to question.

If the argument is that someone on our QB roster has more diversity of talent (better passer), and the entire scheme should be fitted to that QB, I have not heard that someone stepped up and snagged that away.

MD has been in a lot of games (many at QB) and is probably more mentally prepared to be the starter than anyone else. I kind of like the idea that many defenses are going to have to pay enormous attention to both MD and Fenroy as runners. That is going to give MD some passing opps to open receivers. I believe success has more to do with running a smart offense than MD being limited as a passing QB. But, I would like to see him give it a go.

My gut tells me that MD will be the feature QB, but that our OC is going to rotate another QB into a substantial number of downs or drives. Unless momentum and success by MD dictate otherwise, I think one of the other QBs is going to see the field on some level of rotation with Mike.

5. UL Football It's Geaux Time for 23 UL Seniors

They've been hearing about the future of the program for four, and sometimes five, years.

For the 23 seniors on UL's football team, the future is now. And while the excitement of opening fall practice for the 2007 season is motivation enough, there's also a sense of desperation.

It's the last chance for this group to do something that leaves a lasting impression - a first-ever Division I bowl game, an outright conference title (hasn't happened since 1970), even an eight-win season (hasn't happened since 1993 and only once in over three decades).

"I'll force everyone else to realize it's our last hurrah," said offensive tackle Jesse Newman.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Hello, Cajuns

And thanks to Zeebart for the invite on the Ohio board.

Looking forward to the Bobcats-Cajuns game. It should be a good test for both teams.

Frank Solich has completely energized this program, one that, in all honesty, was among the nation's worst for much of the 1980s and 1990s. Before Solich, we had had two winning seasons since 1982 (both under Jim Grobe, the current head coach at Wake Forest). Last year was our first bowl game since 1968, the same year as our last MAC championship.

More info: http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div...ohio/index.php
    http://www.bobcatattack.com/
    http://ohiobobcats.cstv.com/

Ohio will have had one game vs. 1-AA Gardner-Webb before playing the Cajuns. As noted on another thread on your board, we have some quarterback issues, too. Brad Bower is the started for now. Last year, he threw for one TD and 7 picks in a limited role, but in fairness, he was the designated "passing" QB and got thrown into some bad situations as games started slipping away last year. We also have a JUCO and two redshirt sophs in the mix, so it's far from a done deal at QB.

Watching our RB, Kalvin McRae, should be a treat. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy, but he gets tough yards, rarely loses ground and occasionally breaks open. He's had 1,000+ yards for the last two seasons. If he gets hurt, there's talent but little experience behind him.

We're hoping that a top receiver rises from a talented corps. On the OL, we lost our starting center and left side, but with two suspensions and some injuries last year, a lot of subs got a lot of work, so we're hoping players are ready to step in. The right side has two seasoned vets.

On defense, the line and secondary should be in good shape, but we lost our all three LB starters. Our MLB is a senior who's seen a good amount of action, but the OLBs are less experienced.

On special teams, our kicker is a transfer who started and played well at Washington and our punt returner was among the nation's best. Coverage teams were among the MAC's best. A new punter is being broken in.

I look forward to seeing Fenroy play (well, listening on the radio, anyway). Good luck this season - that's an ambitious OOC schedule that you have...

7. Default Re: Hello, Cajuns

Thanks to you Cat82 glad for your success.

Default Re: Hello, Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Cats82 View Post
    _ And thanks to Zeebart for the invite on the Ohio board.

Looking forward to the Bobcats-Cajuns game. It should be a good test for both teams.

Frank Solich has completely energized this program, one that, in all honesty, was among the nation's worst for much of the 1980s and 1990s. Before Solich, we had had two winning seasons since 1982 (both under Jim Grobe, the current head coach at Wake Forest). Last year was our first bowl game since 1968, the same year as our last MAC championship.

Ohio will have had one game vs. 1-AA Gardner-Webb before playing the Cajuns. As noted on another thread on your board, we have some quarterback issues, too. Brad Bower is the started for now. Last year, he threw for one TD and 7 picks in a limited role, but in fairness, he was the designated "passing" QB and got thrown into some bad situations as games started slipping away last year. We also have a JUCO and two redshirt sophs in the mix, so it's far from a done deal at QB.

Watching our RB, Kalvin McRae, should be a treat. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy, but he gets tough yards, rarely loses ground and occasionally breaks open. He's had 1,000+ yards for the last two seasons. If he gets hurt, there's talent but little experience behind him.

We're hoping that a top receiver rises from a talented corps. On the OL, we lost our starting center and left side, but with two suspensions and some injuries last year, a lot of subs got a lot of work, so we're hoping players are ready to step in. The right side has two seasoned vets.

On defense, the line and secondary should be in good shape, but we lost our all three LB starters. Our MLB is a senior who's seen a good amount of action, but the OLBs are less experienced.

On special teams, our kicker is a transfer who started and played well at Washington and our punt returner was among the nation's best. Coverage teams were among the MAC's best. A new punter is being broken in.

I look forward to seeing Fenroy play (well, listening on the radio, anyway). Good luck this season - that's an ambitious OOC schedule that you have... _

Do the Cajuns go to your place in '08?

That Z sure does get around.

Hope you can make it down for the game Cat82. If you do stop by our tent under the Eauxk (oak) for some food and drink. I'm sure Z already extended that invitation, though.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    That Z sure does get around.

Hope you can make it down for the game Cat82. If you do stop by our tent under the Eauxk (oak) for some food and drink. I'm sure Z already extended that invitation, though.

Ouch! You know, I dont think I did extend the invitation!

Z.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cats82 View Post
    And thanks to Zeebart for the invite on the Ohio board.

I look forward to seeing Fenroy play (well, listening on the radio, anyway). Good luck this season - that's an ambitious OOC schedule that you have...

As Hammer mentioned in a previous post, if you have the opportunity to make it down to "Cajun Country" you must pay us a visit!

Bring loose fitting clothes, cause you will leave 5lbs heavier!

Z

12. Default Re: Hello, Cajuns

My whole life I wanted to meet some Cajun fans, having heard legends about your drinking prowress and the beauty of your women. Two years ago, at the NCAA tournament in Nashville, I was able to realize that goal, and I spent one amazing night with a group of UL fans. I ended up trading my OU shirt with a UL coed for her Cajuns shirt, and now I have this great red UL shirt with the angry pepper on the back.

That was a great night. For other reasons, too.

Anyone know this guy? He was awesome. I don't remember his name.

This is so COOL Re: Hello, Cajuns

word....we do have some fine women.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Bring loose fitting clothes, cause you will leave 5lbs heavier!

Z _
    Not if they visit the Krewe de Chew site.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    Not if they visit the Krewe de Chew site.
    LOL!! Don't count your Weight Watcher points when you visit K d' Chew!

I figure you guys have the menus pretty much set by now? Just a few short weeks Mr. Charlie!!!

Z

Page 5 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information