Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 143 150 151 152 153
Results 2,281 to 2,293 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: Turbine why are you so optimistic about Bustle?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ I whole hearedly agree that there should never be any personal attacks on the Coaches and ESPECIALLY the young men who come and play for UL. We should never, ever boo them on the field and things of that nature.

I can only speak for myself, but the frustration that I am feeling comes from not just years of disappointment, but from decades. We like to reminisce about the good old days when Jake was here and when Brian Mitchell was here and the Texas A&M win, but the sad truth is that we really have no winning tradition here at the school. Other than Jake’s years here, when have we really had a sustained winning program? Never. Oh, we have had some great moral victories like South Carolina this year and two or three years ago, and the time we almost beat Oklahoma State when Barry Sanders was there, but that’s all they were, and we think that we were somehow greater than what we were.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying to be negative, just stating the truth. I want us to win. I was born and raised here and am a UL alum. I truly bleed vermillion and white like most, if not all of you.

My frustration is with the administration that has allowed this to happen over decades. Lafayette is a great community with great fans who hunger for a winning football program. We have some of the best talent in the State that we could get but we don’t. Yes, it appears that with the departure of Dr. A, things may start to turn around, but until that happens, I will continue to be upset, disappointed, frustrated, angry etc…….. I am tired of hearing about next year. I have been hearing about next year since I was born. I am tired of the same old politics at UL that is a microcosm of the political problems that we have in local and State government, i.e. “The Good Old Boy” mentality.

When Coach Bustle arrived, I was very excited and thought that positive changes were coming, and I have seen some. The talent level of the football team has increased, we are expecting more out of the program (as is evident from the angry posts on this site), fan support in the community has visibly increased, etc… However, I am very concerned that the excitement that has been building over the last several years will all be undone with the way the team performed in the second half of last season and so far this season. I don’t know if I can stand the apathy that was so prevalent for so long around here again. I hope I am wrong, but I really think Coach Bustle has done all he can do. It is time to move on. _
    Agreed. Apathy is why there are/were so many people in the parking lot during games. Years of losing and sustained coaching/administrative ineptitude have made them just not really care.

Over his tenure Bustle showed some glimpses of success, and when he did, fans showed up. Every time fans showed up, we got hammered. It's time for a change.

Default Re: Forget Out of Bounds, Spencer Ortego Can't Be Ignored

I think I'm gonna go bug bustle to let me call plays for a half. If I bug him enough...........

3. Default Re: Forget Out of Bounds, Spencer Ortego Can't Be Ignored

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ You know your team is bad when a walk-on has one good game and is called an "emerging star". _
    If he hadn't been asked to kick it out of bounds (so much) we might already appreciate his ability.

If I was going to have a walk on participate and start (and it happens at every school at every level) I would want it to be at the kicker position where the player at most might be used 6 or 7 times a game. It frees up a scholarship for someone who might play 30 or 40 plays a game.

Whether it was planned or not, it is a great situation.

UL Football Re: Forget Out of Bounds, Spencer Ortego Can't Be Ignored

I coached this kid at Carencro Catholic and he is a great person with a whole lot of desire. His actions for the past several years got him on the team, and those same actions will help to improve him the rest of his career.

DaddyCajun

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Forget Out of Bounds, Spencer Ortego Can't Be Ignored

Quote Originally Posted by Corndog308 View Post
    _ I think I'm gonna go bug bustle to let me call plays for a half. If I bug him enough........... _
    If things aren't going well, are you going to stand on the sidelines and just clap at players as they come off the field, like him? Oh, and don't forget to pat em on the butt and helmet too. If you look too excited, they may develop a complex. They've never seen the HC get wound up before. You know you can't yell at little Johnny in this day and age. Barney didn't and you shouldn't either.

I think you meant you were going to go "hug" Bustle to let you call plays... I think that might work... a big teddy bear hug.

Default Re: The myth that we will get better

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ Z said he was the good lookin one...said he looked like George Clooney? _
    George who???

7. UL Football Five questions for tight ends coach Troy Wingerter...

Q: How did practice go this week?

Wingerter: "Sunday was our usual night practice. The practice schedule was changed a little bit when we came back on Tuesday. We got after each other a little more. This time of year you usually cut back, but we cranked it up. The competition aspect helped us get better this week.”

Q: Describe the FAU team we will see on Saturday?

Wingerter: "They are an exceptional football team. They move well and play hard. They are deceptive - at first glance they look like just a bunch of big guys, but they are quick and strong and move to the ball very well.”

Q: What style does FAU play?

Wingerter: "Coach Schnellenberger is a fantastic, hard-nosed football coach and his players are not just going to be technically sound, but physical as well. The individual challenge for us is to make sure we match their physical prowess and play mistake-free football.”

Q: Is there added pressure to win on homecoming?

Wingerter: "There is pressure all over – homecoming, win #2 – the players have put pressure on themselves. We had guys stand-up at our team meeting and address the team. There was a lot of emotion there and the guys really want to be successful.”

Q: The Cajuns and Owls have had a brief, but very competitive series?

Wingerter: “Our defense played very well in the last meeting to earn the shutout, but FAU has always played good football against us. They come ready to play. Neither team has won at home, but I always like our chances at Cajun Field. I’ll take our Red Zone fans any day. The guys play for the fans and it means a lot when you come out of the tunnel and see a lot of fans.”

RaginCajuns.com

8. UL Football Official Mid-UL Injury Report (week of FAU game)

9. Brad Bryant, OL (knee – doubtful)
  10. Lanier Coleman, DL (shoulder – probable)
  11. Tyrell Fenroy, RB (ankle – probable)
  12. Chris Fisher, OL (knee – probable)
  13. Jordan Jackson, WR (shoulder, doubtful)
  14. Eric Jones, TE (knee – questionable)
  15. Jarrett Jones, DB (ankle – probable)
  16. Marlin Miller, WR (ankle – probable)
  17. Jesse Newman, OL (ankle – questionable)
  18. Maurice Rolle, DB (ankle – doubtful)
  19. Derrick Smith, WR (leg – probable)
  20. Michael Schultz, DB (elbow – out).

RaginCajuns.com

21. UL Football Students turn out for 'Yell Like Hell'

The cheers could be heard from outside Blackham Coliseum on Wednesday night as hundreds of UL students made sure the annual "Yell Like Hell" event lived up to its name.

The event is just one of several this week to celebrate the school's homecoming. Also on Wednesday, more red than usual could be seen around Lafayette as local business competed in the "Paint the Town Red" contest. The winners will be announced at Saturday's game. UL faces Florida International ATLANTIC at 4 p.m. Saturday at Cajun Field.

During the event, several fraternities and sororities competed in skits paying tribute to college life. Raucous performances from the UL band also kept the crowd energized during the event.

The rest of the story

Amanda McElfresh
    amcelfresh@theadvertiser.com

22. UL Football Florida Atlantic (3-3) At Louisiana (1-6)

FACTS & STATS: Site: Cajun Field (31,000) -- Lafayette, Louisiana. Television: None. Home Record: FAU 2-1, ULL 1-3. Away Record: FAU 1-2, ULL 0-3. Neutral Record: FAU 0-0, ULL 0-0. Conference Record: FAU 2-0, ULL 1-2. Series Record: Series is tied, 1-1.

GAME NOTES: In a Sun Belt Conference tussle, the UL-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns will host the Florida Atlantic Owls this Saturday evening at Cajun Field. Since starting the season with a 3-1 ledger the Owls have dropped two consecutive matchups, including a rough 35-23 loss to the second ranked USF Bulls. After going just 2-5 in league action back in 2005, the Owls have now won six of their last nine league matchups and that includes their 2-0 league mark in 2007. As for the Cajuns, they suffered their sixth loss of the season this past weekend with a 52-21 setback to Arkansas State. Since the beginning of the 2003-04 season the Cajuns have struggled on the road, posting a meager 8-19 record, which includes the teams 0-3 mark this season away from home. ULL will have a chance to better that ledger over the next few weeks, as the team will begin a three-game road stand in two weeks against Tennessee. This will be the third meeting between FAU and ULL on the gridiron, as both teams have won a game on the road. Last season the Cajuns posted a slim 6-0 win over the Owls in Fort Lauderdale.

The majority of the Owls' success this season has come from their passing attack, which is producing 266.3 ypg. Overall, the unit is collecting 379.2 total ypg, and that has led to a solid 24.2 ppg. In the most recent loss to USF, the Owls put forth a solid effort once again, rushing for 152 yards, while also throwing for 259 yards. Charles Pierre has been the main threat out of the backfield for FAU, but in the loss to USF, the tailback rumbled for just 57 yards on 12 carries. On the year, Charles has accumulated 288 yards and four touchdowns on 4.2 ypc. As for the impressive passing attack of FAU, quarterback Rusty Smith only completed 23-of-47 passes for 259 yards and three touchdowns. The signal caller also tossed an interception and was sacked once. On the year, Smith has only completed 53.6 percent of his throws, but has thrown for 1,548 yards and 12 scores against three INTs.

The rest of the story

The Sports Network.

Default Re: Florida Atlantic (3-3) At Louisiana (1-6)

Hmm the advertiser is saying we are playing FIU.
    Another naming crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    _ Hmm the advertiser is saying we are playing FIU.
    Another naming crisis. _
    Maybe it just shows how much attention they pay to Cajun football.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ Maybe it just shows how much attention they pay to Cajun football.
    _
    If it makes you guys feel any better, at least it was in the main section and not in the sports section.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    Maybe it just shows how much attention they pay to Cajun football.
    Good thing it's not Cajun hockey

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 143 150 151 152 153

Thread Information