Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst . 139 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 . LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: The myth that we will get better

Young in football, young in basketball. This "young" crap-of-an-excuse is just plain getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    _ Would you feel the same if we were still 1-6 but that one win was against McNeese?

Isn't that really the major source of heartburn around here?

That we lost to a pretty darn good team 74 miles away?

Would some of you feel the same way if we were 2-5 with wins against McNeese and NT?

How about 3-4 (Ohio, McNeese, NT)?

It's really about McNeese.

The McNeese loss ended the season for alot of people. _
    For some people, I believe you are correct. But it's not just the losses, but how we are lossing at home. Remember, Bustle stated several years back in 2005 that the first step in moving this program foward was having a winning record at home. In other words, he felt that this program was moving forward. But, after the Houston win last year, when you look at the way the Cajuns lost at home by a combined score of 89-42, it's terrible. Now with the exception of the North Texas win, the games this year at home have been just as bad. We are 2-7 in our last nine home games and the opponent has averaged over 42 pts per game and our average lost is over 20 pts game. That is not moving this program forward. So it's not just the McNeese State loss, but more of the manner in which we continue to lose these games. No one can honestly say when looking at those numbers that this program has improved in the past two years. In fact, it's been a downward trend the past two years. And let's not forget, he made the decision to terminate four coahces because the program did not perform up to his expectations.

I don't know how anyone can rationally come to the conclusion that we need to stay the course, after considering the above information.

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim View Post
    _ Question: Are you a lsu graduate disquised as someone who hates em and making us think you are for UL but just like to poise questions which could cause descent amongst us? Don't want to ruffle your feathers, just want to know the truth here. I believe we are causing more damage to our University's image with these blogs than we are doing good. We don't need to expose our dirty laundry to the world, DO WE ANYMORE? _
    I'm a 1976 USL Grad MBA in 1983 Season Ticket holder since 1977 in EVERYTHING. And I absolutely despise LSU.

Im very sorry if these questions ruffle some feathers. What should we be saying?? Oh everything is fine 1-7 is ok cause we are going to get better. 5,000 butts in the seats are ok

My question is are YOU an LSU fan that is loving the fact that we are losing and the fan base is deteriorating???? I think that is closer to the truth.

4. Default Re: The myth that we will get better

I don't think there is any question that young players will improve. However, that isn't the relevent question. The correct question is: "will the young players improve enough relative to the competition in order to significantly change the results?"

Its no different than saying how much Ricky Bustle has improved the program from the Baldwin years. That is no doubt true. The problem is that programs like Troy, FAU, Arkansas State, MTSU have improved their programs MORE than we've improved ours in the same time period.

You can be moving forward and still fall farther behind.

_ No, his posting record proves otherwise.

Just because you (and I) may disagree with him doesn't mean his loyalty is in question (or ours).

But to answer IHLS's question, look to FAU. They were young last year and they grew up.

If you don't think players like TRUE FRESHMAN Grant Flemming, who is pretty darn good, could get any better, you are wrong.

It is a new defense with new terminology. You can coach all you want, but if the player isn't in position to make the play, it ain't gonna get made.

Another year will breed some familiarity and confidence. The plays move so fast that you want the players to play without thinking "am I where I'm supposed to be?"

That said, my patience with Bustle will run out on Oct 1, 2008 if we haven't won a game in the new season. (Unless of course we haven't won another in 2007). _
    Thanks for the comment. I do love this university.

I've watched Grant Fleming. The young man is trying bis arse off. Yet I dont see the production in terms of stopping the opposition. I see many of his tackles 7-8 yards down the field. Maybe that is scheming. and the D-line is supposed to not let the opposition get into the seocndary. As I said Im not that smart. just a fan

_ But to answer IHLS's question, look to FAU. They were young last year and they grew up.
    No comparison.

Florida Atlantic won 5 of their last 8 games last season.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuru View Post
    _

As for damaging the program, one only has to venture into this community and around the state to understand that the damage is already done to this program. Simply ignoring that fact, is not going to make the state of this football program or the product on the field any better. _
    Thats is EXACTLY my point. My questions have come after the fact that we got blown out by a 1-AA school. after 6 years of us being mediocre in a lousy conference After watching other schools bring there programs to competitive levels

I think we HAVE to ask these questions if we are fans. It hurts like hell. I would rather be planning a road trip to Tennessee and then to a bowl game. but guess what?? we are not anywhere near a bowl game.

These are legitimate questions

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I do love this university.

I've watched Grant Fleming. The young man is trying bis arse off. Yet I dont see the production in terms of stopping the opposition. I see many of his tackles 7-8 yards down the field. Maybe that is scheming. and the D-line is supposed to not let the opposition get into the seocndary. As I said Im not that smart. just a fan
    That goes for me too. I freely admit I don't know s--t.

My gut tells me that things aren't as bad as they appear and that's why I'm playing the role of the devil's advocate.

Perception is reality, I'm afraid and our perception isn't very good and that, in the end may make all the difference.

_ Would you feel the same if we were still 1-6 but that one win was against McNeese?

Isn't that really the major source of heartburn around here?

That we lost to a pretty darn good team 74 miles away?

Would some of you feel the same way if we were 2-5 with wins against McNeese and NT?

How about 3-4 (Ohio, McNeese, NT)?

It's really about McNeese.

The McNeese loss ended the season for alot of people. _
    Nope. sorry. My heart burn is when I look at this community when I look at these facilities. when I look at this student body. When I realize that after 6 years we are picked to be in the MIDDLE of the worst conference in America I think we can do better. i think we have every right to expect to be on the level of So Miss and Troy and other legitimate mid-majors. And I dont like excuses. If its funding then ______ let's find out WHY we cant change formulas. ______ lets stop accepting this state of affairs

Geez

_ Thanks for the comment. I do love this university.

I've watched Grant Fleming. The young man is trying bis arse off. Yet I dont see the production in terms of stopping the opposition. I see many of his tackles 7-8 yards down the field. Maybe that is scheming. and the D-line is supposed to not let the opposition get into the seocndary. As I said Im not that smart. just a fan _
    Grant Fleming is WAYYYY too undersized to be playing right now, but he does because he is the best linebacker we have and he has the heart of a lion.

He is gong to easily put another 20 pounds of muscle on that frame and quickly become the defensive leader next year.

The D-line simply lacks the required size or athleticism to hold their ground or come off of blocks, and our outmanned LB's just get overwhelmed. This was made very clear last week when Raymond didn't make the trip and we got steamrolled.

Nope. sorry. My heart burn is when I look at this community when I look at these facilities. when I look at this student body. When I realize that after 6 years we are picked to be in the MIDDLE of the worst conference in America I think we can do better. i think we have every right to expect to be on the level of So Miss and Troy and other legitimate mid-majors. And I dont like excuses. If its funding then ______ let's find out WHY we cant change formulas. ______ lets stop accepting this state of affairs

Geez
    What you are suggesting goes far beyond who is at HC. Change the HC, with the current infastructure and you are just repeating the same results.

I would favor a wholesale change in our attitudes starting at Martin Hall, on down to Reinhart and flowing through Cajundome Blvd., Congress, Johnston, Ambassador Caffery and on to the Thruway.

Until we change those attitudes, it really doesn't matter who the HC is.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Grant Fleming is WAYYYY too undersized to be playing right now, but he does because he is the best linebacker we have and he has the heart of a lion.

He is gong to easily put another 20 pounds of muscle on that frame and quickly become the defensive leader next year.

The D-line simply lacks the required size or athleticism to hold their ground or come off of blocks, and our outmanned LB's just get overwhelmed. This was made very clear last week when Raymond didn't make the trip and we got steamrolled. _
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. I love Fleming but I think he should probably be a safety. no??? and the D-line is awful. whats going to change??

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

What you are suggesting goes far beyond who is at HC. Change the HC, with the current infastructure and you are just repeating the same results.

I would favor a wholesale change in our attitudes starting at Martin Hall, on down to Reinhart and flowing through Cajundome Blvd., Congress, Johnston, Ambassador Caffery and on to the Thruway.

Until we change those attitudes, it really doesn't matter who the HC is.
    Yeah, well Martin Hall scares the livin' shirt out of me.but if they leave Walker and Farmer alone to run this place like it should be run, I firmly believe we will be alright.

Z

_ What you are suggesting goes far beyond who is at HC. Change the HC, with the current infastructure and you are just repeating the same results.

Until we change those attitudes, it really doesn't matter who the HC is. _
    Oh i disagree I think what we hired was a big time OC from a big time BCS school. I thought it was a great hire at first. But in retrospect I think perhaps (no inside knowldge) what we have is a guy who was used to calling the school's jet to head off and see a recruit. who in short was used to a nice budget to work with.

I think (JMHO) that this time we need a young guy from a 1-AA school or maybe (cringing) a HS coach or someone who is looking at us as a stepping stone. who is used to smaller budgets but will not let that be an excuse.

_ Oh i disagree I think what we hired was a big time OC from a big time BCS school. I thought it was a great hire at first. But in retrospect I think perhaps (no inside knowldge) what we have is a guy who was used to calling the school's jet to head off and see a recruit. who in short was used to a nice budget to work with.

I think (JMHO) that this time we need a young guy from a 1-AA school or maybe (cringing) a HS coach or someone who is looking at us as a stepping stone. who is used to smaller budgets but will not let that be an excuse. _
    Given the list of guys who wanted the job, I was scratching my head for weeks after it was announced who got the job last time.

Thread Information