Page 122 of 153 FirstFirst . 112 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 132 . LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Ragin' Cajuns Re: why???

Quote Originally Posted by dland29 View Post
    _ does it take only 10 years for usf to have a top 25 team big east team and bcs centender. and UL been around for decades and decades and the cajuns cant even play a bowl game and are still stuck in the crappy sunbelt conf. ???wtf _
    Don't you get it. Money talks BS walks.

Florida does not restrict on how much money can be taken from their student tuitions. We are just now getting from our illustrious legislature the right to raise more funs from our Student fees. As a father of a UL student, I don't mind paying a bit more for Athletic fees.

Secondly,
    Here is something to think about! What if we had had the University of Louisiana name since 1984 instead of 2000. There would be no University of Louisiana-Lafayette tagged to us.

You people must realize, it ain't all this administrations fault. We have been working on a small academic and athletic budget for years. We are just now getting some well deserved academic buildings and much needed repairs on old buildings. Look at Burke Hall, That is sad to see the window frames rotting away.

Also, USF is in a Metropolitan area, Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg FL. area. How many people do you think live within that University. Makes it a more attractive market than Lafayette for support and media coverage.

I suggest you listen to talk radio ( KPEL - Jay Walker) sometimes and ask questions. Jay is pretty knowledgable about the conference affiliations in the area. One thing I learned from him last month, was the fact that when we were being looked at as a CUSA member, We were USL, well, according to him our Bi-directional name did not sit well with some of the Presidents of the CUSA members. So we did not get invited to join. SO, going back to 1984 when our illustrious legislature decided to play GOD and reversed our name, that HURT us athletically and academically.

It doesn't help when you are not a winner and right now our football program is not respected but when YOU don't support it and the other college programs no it, they use it against us. So, think about this, Say we get looked at again by CUSA, you don't think they are going to look at our home attendance record. I bet it is going to be a factor. They see our students are even supporting our team. That ain't gonna help. To be winners, we have to support our Ragin Cajun Athletic Programs WIN OR LOSE. We don't WIN anything if we don't support them.

In closing, SUPPORT OUR UNIVERSITY , WIN Or LOSE. and we will be WINNERS.

UL Football Re: why???

Quote Originally Posted by dland29 View Post
    _ your still not getting my point, anwser my question, why usf can do it and we can't. like i said tampa has 3 times more the popul. as baton rouge does. usf athl. 20+ million, lsu 100+ million. so don't give me that cop out ____ and say b/c it population, Louisiana Là ____ed up somewhere and that comes back to my original questions. WHY CAN USF DO IT AND WE CAN'T. can someone elaberate please _
    I don't think anyone has a definitive answer to that question. It could be from having an athletic director that didn't know how to support/push/stear a football program and pretty much ran it into the ground as a result. I'm buying the population theory as well, when you have a hot bed of athletes such as the state of Florida does, whether they are good at football or not, they are athletic. And it all comes back to Money, when you have a big time football budget, you get a big time football team. And when you have all of these things (Money, Athletes, a Good AD) it can be done. I also think USF is just an awesome story to have that kind of rise. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Fenroy only 7 touches?!

I guess y'all are right, hopefully he'll be ready and prime for ark state, maybe we can turn this thing around and go 6-6!

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife View Post
    _ WHY ARE WE NOT GIVING HIM THE BALL MORE? He is the center of our offense and he only got 7 carries on Saturday, HE STILL GOT 123 YARDS. What could he have done with 15-20 carries???? This is no good. _
    Ive been real critical of the coaching staff but this is soemthing I cant be critical of. I think they are handling Fenroy right in not rushing him back to quick. He seemed a little gimpy at times and he was in at times when we really needed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ Ive been real critical of the coaching staff but this is soemthing I cant be critical of. I think they are handling Fenroy right in not rushing him back to quick. He seemed a little gimpy at times and he was in at times when we really needed him. _
    I trust you clutch!

Default Re: Congratulations Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    _ Atta girl MM!!!

The Krewe rocked before and after the game. Before the game the Mean Green cheerleaders came over, and were treated to some Cajun hospitality and food. We even had them dancing to the Roostah tune.

It was a great night. Not a perfect game, but the guys played hard. Can't ask for more than that, especially when you get a win.

When are you going to make another game? _
    Hi Charliewish I could have been there but it was fun to watch it on ESPN PPV!! Really enjoyed it and felt so proud for the boys. Seems like everyone can find something wrong and it wasn't a perfect game, but we won. I know they feel a tremendous burden lifted from their shoulders. I'm not sure I will be back. We would like my husband to come to a couple of games (we have to be fair here) so he will probably be there and I will send him over to meet you guys and gals. Our oldest son is getting married (not KP) so I am busy planning that with just 8 weeks until the date!!! Take care. Mrs.P

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife View Post
    _ I trust you clutch! _
    Glad someone does

Default Re: why???

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ In no particular order here is why I think we are where we are:

1. Failure by the administration to support athletics and the growth of athletics 100% in the past 25 years.
    2. Failure to set up a private fundraising organization.
    3. Failure to market athletics properly.
    4. Failure to get more donations from businesses and private individuals, both big donations and small donations.
    You don't build a consistent winner without money. There is plenty of money in Lafayette and the Acadiana area. Unfortunately a great deal of money leaves this area and goes to Baton Rouge. Administration has to do a better job of getting people to "care" about UL athletics. We know football drives the bus so when we have a chance to prove we are on the rise, we need to learn how not to lay an egg. My belief is that after 1996 this program dropped to the very bottom of D-IA athletics and has been unable to turn the corner since then. We've had hopeful moments but I fear perception among the community is still where it was in 2000, when it comes to football. Doc A realized the importance of athletics to a university far too late and we are trying to playcatch up now and we've fallen so far behind it is scary. We have about an $8 million athletic budget and we need to increse it significantly by 2010. How we make that money will be determined by the decisions made by the AD and the new President. My only hope is that they realize the potential UL has and work to achieve our goals. _
    Am I wrong when I say that every point you made is valid but all are about to change in one way or another? At last change is in the wind.
    The old administration is on it's way out, we are getting an athletic foundation, we have new blood in the AD area with real concern for our program and marketing which in turn will bring in the money. Plus we now can get 3% funds from students fees and a gigantic boost of money from Cox. Let's all try to see the positive. There is REAL plausible change coming. I for one am glad my son will be a part of the next few years and all that it will bring.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: why???

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    Plus we now can get 3% funds from students fees
    Can someone please explain this to me? did I miss something, or is this a result of the long needed increase a few months ago?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Heavy downpour with TV option keeps Fans away from Great Game.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ I was smart Saturday. Packed my son a bag with a towel and some toys. I saw it was raining so I put on his UL flip flops. Apparently kids like to stomp in puddles.

Of course I got to watch about 5 minutes before he went had to goto the bathroom. When we walked in there was a solid inch of water on the floor. I'm sure most of it was water.

Also he wanted some cotton candy. The first one I bought him was obviously from last week because it was hard and about 1/4 of the size of the bag. When I looked at it there were ants all over inside the bag. I brought it bag and they tried to sell me the line of bull____ that . he put those outside before the others. Gimmie a break. _
    David Walker and Scott Farmer probably need to hear your story.

UL Football Re: why???

_ Am I wrong when I say that every point you made is valid but all are about to change in one way or another? At last change is in the wind.
    The old administration is on it's way out, we are getting an athletic foundation, we have new blood in the AD area with real concern for our program and marketing which in turn will bring in the money. Plus we now can get 3% funds from students fees and a gigantic boost of money from Cox. Let's all try to see the positive. There is REAL plausible change coming. I for one am glad my son will be a part of the next few years and all that it will bring. _
    I totally agree that changes are going to start taking place. New AD, New AD assistant (who was largely responsible for the Troy program rising), Soon to have a new President. I think this program will rise. If we can just produce on the field. As a die hard fan, I will be there supporting regardless. It's the casual fan that so many on this board say they don't really care about. Well those casual fans equal dollars, if we can get butts in the seats and and actually back up the hype of a big game, I think Lafayette is a great town to have a athletic program to be proud of. We can have people in the stadium. I was flabbergasted when I walked out at halftime sat. night to see a tent full of LSU shirt wearing fans having no interest in what was going on 200 feet in the stadium and making ME feel bad for missing the "flagship schools" biggest game of the year! WTF! we are in Lafayette! If we can get a core group of people in the front office that can make all of the good suggestions and ideas into reality, then I think this ship can be turned around.

Default Re: Heavy downpour and TV coverage keeps fans away (Thread split)

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ Folks this is what I was talking about last week when everyone was saying we cant afford to buy-out Bustle IMO we can't afford to NOT buy him out.

The community has this feeling about UL that it is stagnant. no direction. and worse no COMMITTMENT to football.And I'm not sure it is wrong.

So when you put together the "Perfect Storm" (Pun intended). Terrible weather the game is on the tube. and oh yes that school accross the river is playing lights out (hate to admit it but true) and is on National TV.

The Perfect Storm and the malaise in the community regarding UL Football is going to kill this program. That is whay I am so PASSIONATE about a change. one I know is not coming this year but I am still the lone voice in the wilderness

Think about it what an announcement like this would do

Well thats what I would do anywaylol _
    Rest assured, the money is available to buy Bustle out. The question remains, do these individuals believe that this administration will take action? David Walker has not been approached by these people yet, so lets see what happens by the end of football season.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ And it has not worked So you try again or maybe you like having 5,000 people in the stands and opening 0-5 after 6 years?? _
    You are correct, hiring a BCS coordinator is no longer an option for a program at our level. First, no BCS coordinator worth a dime would except a head coaching position at this level and with our budget. They are looking for either a high Mid-major postition or a BCS position. Mid-major head coaches are looking for opportunities at BCS programs, they are not interested in moving backwards. That leaves us with several options:

Option 1.) Hire a winning head coach from a top Div1AA program. He will understand the budget restraints and how to run a program as a head coach.

Option 2.) Hire a top coordinator from a High Mid-Major Program. But it will cost you more then Bustle's salary and do you have enough funds to hire a quality staff afterwords?

Option 3.) Break the bank and hire a BCS coordinator like Stokely or Bustle, with no proven head coaching experience. And no funds available to hire a quality staff.

Option 4.) Hire a BCS position coach like Dooley, with no experince on how to run a program and break the bank. And again, no funds available to hire a quality staff.

Option 5.) Hire a High School coach from a national profile school that has won championships at a high level. This is the route North Texas decided upon in hiring Dodge.

Option 6.) Leave Bustle in place for another year and hope he rights the ship in 2008. Cost, low season ticket sales and preception of the program continues downward.

Default Re: Congratulations Cajuns

Hi Charliewish I could have been there but it was fun to watch it on ESPN PPV!! Really enjoyed it and felt so proud for the boys. Seems like everyone can find something wrong and it wasn't a perfect game, but we won. I know they feel a tremendous burden lifted from their shoulders. I'm not sure I will be back. We would like my husband to come to a couple of games (we have to be fair here) so he will probably be there and I will send him over to meet you guys and gals. Our oldest son is getting married (not KP) so I am busy planning that with just 8 weeks until the date!!! Take care. Mrs.P
    Whoever wants to can be as negative as they want, but they can't take away the fact that it was a win that was DESPERATELY needed. You can make a negative out of anything if you truly look hard enough, but I thought there were more than enough positives to outweigh the negatives.

For instance,
    +2 in turnovers
    We won the second half for the second week in a row
    We won without Wallace and with fenroy at about 70%
    We won without both of our Starting tackles out (and both new guys came into their own in the second half)
    Defense held 3rd and long conversions to a minimum vs a team that specialized to convert those types of plays.
    and biggest player of the game, Dez gets 2 with his feet, and 2 with his hands.

With this being a win, I'll let the coaches take care of pointing out the mistakes.

Tuffguy

Personally I weather one more storm. If/when attendance falls to unacceptable levels next year you can pull the plug on bustle.

That being said I think we could land Comeaux's high school football coach with our funds.

Thread Information