Page 114 of 153 FirstFirst . 104 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 124 . LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: Post Game Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    _ Take that to mean the "Strip" is no longer a viable option? I had thought about the downtown area; but I wasn't aware that "caution" might be needed. _
    the strip is not much of anything on saturday nights. its more of a wed. friday place. i would say downtown for sure. legends, jefferson st. pub, and nitetown. Also, legends on bertrand immediately after the game would be good right by the stadium.

2. Default Re: Post Game Gathering

Legend's on Bertrand would be the best place to hang out after the game, if the NT fans don't want to venture Downtown.

Jefferson St. Pub and Legends Downtown are always a good time on Saturday nights.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

_ Take that to mean the "Strip" is no longer a viable option? I had thought about the downtown area; but I wasn't aware that "caution" might be needed. _
    I haven't been out too much downtown lately, but i don't think much caution is needed. there's tons of security. depending on their age and their intentions, I would suggest the Greenroom, down towards the underpass. Its a good drinking place thats real relaxed. If they are younger and looking to meet some ladies at a club, then they should probably go to Nitetown.

I also agree with Crazycajun that Legend's on Bertrand is a wonderful place, and i'm sure that all the Cajun fans going there after the game would treat 'em real good. Also, tell them that if they're walking through the parking lot, to stop at some of the tents that still have things going on. I know that we're planning to stay out tailgating kinda late that night, probably won't go out, and I'd take them in a give them a beer or two if they found me.

Default Re: It's year six people

Why are we staill talking youth and redshirts in year 6? Maybe someone more familiar w/the Cajuns depth chart and recruiting classes can better explain it.

On Bustle, I don't think he has done that bad a job-I just think UL is in a very tough situation trying to develop a midmajor Sunbelt program.

Quote Originally Posted by LsuULfan View Post
    _ Why are we staill talking youth and redshirts in year 6? Maybe someone more familiar w/the Cajuns depth chart and recruiting classes can better explain it.

On Bustle, I don't think he has done that bad a job-I just think UL is in a very tough situation trying to develop a midmajor Sunbelt program. _
    ok, when bustle got here he recruited guys that were better than what we had. these guys played b/c we needed them. each year the classes got better. right now the freshman and redshirts and sophomores are more talented than alot of our juniors and seniors. the coaches are putting the best talent on the field but b/c our best talent is young you are seeing the going through their growing pains. a coach will not put a less talented player on the field just b/c he is older. its kind of a catch 22. i know its hard to see it now but it will pay off, maybe with bustle or the next coach but it will pay off. for bustles sake hopefully it starts to pay off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ I haven't been out too much downtown lately, but i don't think much caution is needed. there's tons of security. depending on their age and their intentions, I would suggest the Greenroom, down towards the underpass. Its a good drinking place thats real relaxed. If they are younger and looking to meet some ladies at a club, then they should probably go to Nitetown.

I also agree with Crazycajun that Legend's on Bertrand is a wonderful place, and i'm sure that all the Cajun fans going there after the game would treat 'em real good. Also, tell them that if they're walking through the parking lot, to stop at some of the tents that still have things going on. I know that we're planning to stay out tailgating kinda late that night, probably won't go out, and I'd take them in a give them a beer or two if they found me. _
    I mentioned some of the post game tailgating. Will pass the other info along. Thanks to everyone for helping out.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    _ for bustles sake hopefully it starts to pay off soon. _
    How about this saturday?

Default Need a song for our UVa tailgate-Hillbilly Hilton

Can someone email me the file for the song "I don't Rooster like I used to"

I am forwarding it on to RaiderDan, the owner of the World Famous Hillbilly Hilton, who will be hosting the Cajun fans at his tailgate in November.

My email is cajunraider@yahoo.com or goblueraiders@comcast.net

Thanks a million !!

Someone on the NT board asked about "where" to party, post-game. He asked about "The Strip". Seeing as how I haven't lived there ina long time , where is a good post game environment?
    Shof

Go to Cafe Cottage after the game! Wrong Number (Lafayette Punk Rock since 2002), Screams of Triumph (experimental ska), and Angry Banana (ska/punk from new orleans). 3 dollar door, Show starts at 10:30, itll be fun.

Tuffguy

10. UL Football Not easy being green at UNT

The sheer numbers are frightening.

North Texas is last among the nation's 119 Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) schools in total defense and scoring defense, allowing 580.3 yards and 55 points per game. UNT is also last nationally in sacks and next to last in tackles for losses.

The Mean Green improves all the way to 117th in pass defense, 114th in rushing defense and 113th in rushing offense - even though a former national rushing champion is in the offensive backfield.

There's little wonder that UNT is 0-4 heading into Saturday's 6 p.m. contest with likewise-winless UL at Cajun Field. Right now, it ain't easy being green.
    But first-year coach Todd Dodge isn't deterred.

"The fun thing right now is we're not near as good as we're going to be," Dodge said during his team's preparations for the Cajuns. "There's so much room for improvement. We've got a nice completion percentage, and we've got to accentuate the things we do well and continue to do that."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

11. UL Football Playing for Dollars

College football teams are paying increasingly large sums of money to entice non-conference visiting opponents.

Sept. 1
    Richmond at Vanderbilt
    Result: Vanderbilt 41, Richmond 17
    Vanderbilt paid $300,000-350,000

Sept. 6
    MTSU at Louisville
    Result: Louisville 58, MTSU 42
    MTSU earned $200,000

Sept. 8
    Southern Miss at Tennessee
    Result: Tennessee 39, Southern Miss 19
    Tennessee paid $600,000

Sept. 13
    MTSU at LSU
    Result: LSU 44, MTSU 0
    MTSU earned $450,000

Sept. 20
    Western Kentucky at MTSU
    Result: Western Kentucky 20, MTSU 17
    MTSU paid $50,000

Sept. 22
    Arkansas State at Tennessee
    Result: Tennessee 48, Arkansas State 27
    Tennessee paid $625,000

Oct. 6
    Virginia at MTSU
    Result: Upcoming
    MTSU paid $200,000

Oct. 13
    MTSU at Memphis
    MTSU earned $150,000

Nov. 3
    La.-Lafayette at Tennessee
    Tennessee paid $750,000

Sept. 2
    Vanderbilt at Michigan
    Result: Michigan 27, Vanderbilt 7
    Vanderbilt earned $650,000

Sept. 9
    MTSU at Maryland
    Result: Maryland 24, MTSU 10
    MTSU earned $500,000

Air Force at Tennessee
    Result: Tennessee 31, Air Force 30
    Tennessee paid $850,000

Sept. 23
    MTSU at Oklahoma
    Result: Oklahoma 59, MTSU 0
    MTSU earned $600,000

Tennessee State at Vanderbilt
    Result: Vanderbilt 38, Tennessee State 9
    Vanderbilt paid $225,000

Sept. 30
    Marshall at Tennessee
    Result: Tennessee 33, Marshall 7
    Tennessee paid $550,000

Oct. 6
    Louisville vs. MTSU (LP Field in Nashville)
    Result: Louisville 44, MTSU 17
    MTSU paid $200,000

Nov. 18
    MTSU at South Carolina
    Result: South Carolina 52, MTSU 7
    MTSU earned $600,000

The rest of the story

12. UL Football Follow the money

Virginia isn't just doing MTSU a favor by bringing its football team to Murfreesboro for a historical matchup Saturday.

In becoming the first Atlantic Coast Conference team to play the Blue Raiders at Floyd Stadium, the Cavaliers will pick up a check for $200,000.

Saturday's game is a bit of a role reversal for MTSU, which has usually been in the 'pay to the order of' line of those checks since moving to NCAA Division I-A during the mid-1990s. The Blue Raiders took home nearly a half-million dollars for traveling to LSU earlier this season, and cleared $1.5 million for visits to Maryland, Oklahoma and South Carolina last year.

As more and more Bowl Championship Series teams look to fill out their home schedules following the advent of the 12-game regular season, mid-level D-I programs have become more attractive opponents — and if the BCS teams are going to benefit on the field and in the seats, the lower-profile schools want to at least be compensated for it.

According to MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro, his program's take over the last couple of years is just the tip of the gridiron financial iceberg.

"The amounts paid are starting to really climb, and it depends on where you're going," Massaro said. "I've heard offers around $650,000 or $700,000 and I've heard of some as high as $900,000.

The rest of the story

By MAURICE PATTON
    Gannett Tennessee

13. UL Football Re: Playing for Dollars

Great move by MTSU

I suggested before here and on the radio that UL should take ANY extra 1 time money it finds and instead of putting it into the regular budget, save it for a buy in game.

For the right amount of money UL could get a lot of schools to come play here. Another option might be a 2 for 1 plus a payment to come here.

I could name a dozen reasons why this would be a good investment.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Land Cajun View Post
    _ I read the article in today's Advertiser about how many freshmen and sophmores we are playing and how many redshirts we have, which is what Bustle has been trying to do since he got here. We are extremely young and are making a lot of mistakes. We still need to improve recruiting, but it seems like Bustle is building this brick by brick. We pay now for the dividends we will get later. We also have new Coordinators who are not only bringing changes, but should improve recruiting.

The best thing this town can do for this football team is to show up en masse for Saturday's game. Wouldn't it be great to see 25,000+ as a show of support for these kids. And, we win the game. That would propel us through the meat of our conference schedule. We have some tough games coming up after UNT, so this is a must win.

We are letting our basketball coach build from the ground up and quit using the quick fix of JC transfers. While we have had uncharacteristic losing seasons, we will soon see all of this pay off for years to come. Why is football any different? I want to win as much as anyone and I am tired of excuses, especially when we see teams like Troy seemingly pass us by. And, I am extremely disappointed that we are 0-5 at this point and particularly that we lost to McNeese State. But, it is what it is. If Bustle is truly building our program the right way, things will improve. It is hard to be patient as we keep hearing the same thing year after year. For once, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an on-coming train. Sometimes you have to be patient with a coach who is building a program. Although this is Bustle's 6th year, we are not yet an experienced team. We are young and building a solid base. Bustle still has 2 years left on his contract. I think next year will be the telling year for him, not this year.

Sometimes, if you stick with something and give them what they need and a show of confidence, things have a way of coming together. We have a new Asst. AD with a true vision for athletics, a new President coming on board next year who will hopefully provide the support for athletics we have been hoping for, improving facililties, and things are finally starting to come together at UL in all areas. All of this will have a profound impact on football which drives everything. I, for one, will be patient with Bustle because neither he nor his predecessors have had what is about to happen to UL in the coming year. Let's give him a chance to be successful when all of this actually comes together. _
    Wish my company gave me 6 years to produce.

Default Re: Not easy being green at UNT

As long as NT doesn't fire their coach before kickoff, we'll be fine.

Thread Information