Page 107 of 153 FirstFirst . 97 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 117 . LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: I guess it is a new low.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne Eyeman View Post
    _ I'm not settling for mediocrity.I want a winning team as much as anybody. I just know that you can't get senior excellence out of a team of mainly freshmen. They will have to mature.and I believe that they will, soon. I just know that you cannot turn it on and off like a switch or by rolling from coach to coach every few years.

I'll see you at the SWAMP!!!
    Geaux Cajuns!!!! _
    To address your points No you cant get Senior leadership from Freshman. My question is. who recruited those Seniors?? those Juniors??? Why are we perpetually a "young team"?? Just when do we mature???

I also agree that you dont fire coaches every few years. But 6 years is NOT every few years. If the current staff is not getting the job done you find someone who will. that is the nature of the coaching business and it's not personal. when you make a hiring mistake. you admit it and move on.

Yes Sir. Geaux Cajuns and I will see you too at the Swamp

Default Re: Weekly Award Winners

Quote Originally Posted by srevere51 View Post
    _ It is merely my opinion. No need to get offended.
    When you are a child, you encourage young ones with positive reinforcement and hope you get the best out of them.
    When you pay for an Athlete to attend your university, you should expect a certain level of play and demand the BEST out of them.
    No awards were given during the McNeese game either, so if you want to give me an award for boasting my opinion feel free to send me a private message.
    I have supported this university going on 27 years (I will be 27 in December). I will be there for the next 27. _
    I don't have a problem with individual awards within the construct of a team sport - win or lose. If someone went out there and busted their tail and was deserving of being recognized - then do it. It shows everyone else the type of effort that is desired. If no one really "deserves" being recognized, then so be it. But don't "not" recognize someone who is truely deserving just because others failed to show up.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Don't Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ The Ragin Cajun beer exchange will be in effect.

Z. _
    How'd that Hefe' treat you?

UL Football Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

Our OL is overall doing a pretty good job. Just accept the fact that we are a run first team, and we will remain a run first team, even if all of our offensive linemen develop into NFL first-rounders.

Everyone needs to quit worrying about the O. If we listed our problems by position in order of severity, we would be on number 24 [or higher] before we got to the first offensive position. Every defensive position and the majority of all special teams positions are weaker than our weakest offensive position.

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ To address your points No you cant get Senior leadership from Freshman. My question is. who recruited those Seniors?? those Juniors??? Why are we perpetually a "young team"?? Just when do we mature???

I also agree that you dont fire coaches every few years. But 6 years is NOT every few years. If the current staff is not getting the job done you find someone who will. that is the nature of the coaching business and it's not personal. when you make a hiring mistake. you admit it and move on.

Yes Sir. Geaux Cajuns and I will see you too at the Swamp _
    and to address your points. everyone is going to jump at this and cry an moan but i;m going to go ahead and say it. The reason we are a young team is b/c the freshman and sophomores we have are better than the juniors and seniors we have. the reason for this is b/c these seniors were recruited when bustle first got here and are not at the level of the younger guys. a coach puts the best talent on the field, that is a good sign that we are getting alot better if you have freshman and sophomores beating out juniors and seniors. that means the talent level is getting better evry recruiting class. now what the coaches are going to do with it is a different story. these young guys are getting their experience and taking their lickings now but just wait in 2 years, whoever the coach is. just look at florida atlantic, for the past two years they have had the same problem with having freshman and sophmores taking their lickings and getting experience. Do you think its paying off?

_ To address your points No you cant get Senior leadership from Freshman. My question is. who recruited those Seniors?? those Juniors??? Why are we perpetually a "young team"?? Just when do we mature???

Yes Sir. Geaux Cajuns and I will see you too at the Swamp _
    Wish I was "closer" to the program to give a better assessment; but alas I'm not. One thing seems clear to me - - this regime has had a difficult time "selling" the program to recruits. I suspect it has taken a few years to dig out of the hole left by the previous regime - - no name calling - - no toothpick jokes. Seems we are just now beginning to attrack more quality athletes, and probably why we have to go out of state to get so many of them. And again, I don't mean to disparage any young man that chooses our university. We've picked up a "couple" of terrific players each class; but not enough of them. The fact that we are playing so many young guys now should highlight that fact. I would hope that our improvement overall as a program (wins and losses aside) will help us continue to bring in better players that might not have considered us in the past. We definitely need to bring in some more impact players in the next recruiting class and if need be, play them early too.

All this does not give Coach Bustle and staff a "pass". It still doesn't explain some of the meltdowns we have seen recently (NT, MT last year; McNeese this year, ULM). Right now we seem to be stuck between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". Do you cut your losses now and look for a completely new staff, or do you stick it out "one more year" to see if things can be turned around? New staff probably equals "another" rebuilding phase (2-3 yrs?), entirely new effort to sell the program to recruits and the fan base. Another year with Coach Bustle and staff, especially if unsuccessful, puts us an additional year away from reaching our goals. So which is the right answer? Personally for me, the better answer is to see it through with the current staff for at least next year. Neither choice is easy, so its a good thing I'm not the AD! Regardless, see you guys saturday!

Shof

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    _ and to address your points. everyone is going to jump at this and cry an moan but i;m going to go ahead and say it. The reason we are a young team is b/c the freshman and sophomores we have are better than the juniors and seniors we have. the reason for this is b/c these seniors were recruited when bustle first got here and are not at the level of the younger guys. a coach puts the best talent on the field, that is a good sign that we are getting alot better if you have freshman and sophomores beating out juniors and seniors. that means the talent level is getting better evry recruiting class. now what the coaches are going to do with it is a different story. these young guys are getting their experience and taking their lickings now but just wait in 2 years, whoever the coach is. just look at florida atlantic, for the past two years they have had the same problem with having freshman and sophmores taking their lickings and getting experience. Do you think its paying off? _
    Well I hope you are correct my Cajun Fan friend I'd love nothing more than in two years everyone be saying what an idiot IHateLaState was for questioning this staff (Maybe they already are.lol). But understand from my viewpoint. 6-5 in two years is NOT acceptable. My viewpoint. maybe others will celebrate it but I think we should EXPECT more

UL Football Re: I guess it is a new low.

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    _ Wish I was "closer" to the program to give a better assessment; but alas I'm not. One thing seems clear to me - - this regime has had a difficult time "selling" the program to recruits. I suspect it has taken a few years to dig out of the hole left by the previous regime - - no name calling - - no toothpick jokes. Seems we are just now beginning to attrack more quality athletes, and probably why we have to go out of state to get so many of them. And again, I don't mean to disparage any young man that chooses our university. We've picked up a "couple" of terrific players each class; but not enough of them. The fact that we are playing so many young guys now should highlight that fact. I would hope that our improvement overall as a program (wins and losses aside) will help us continue to bring in better players that might not have considered us in the past. We definitely need to bring in some more impact players in the next recruiting class and if need be, play them early too.

All this does not give Coach Bustle and staff a "pass". It still doesn't explain some of the meltdowns we have seen recently (NT, MT last year; McNeese this year, ULM). Right now we seem to be stuck between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". Do you cut your losses now and look for a completely new staff, or do you stick it out "one more year" to see if things can be turned around? New staff probably equals "another" rebuilding phase (2-3 yrs?), entirely new effort to sell the program to recruits and the fan base. Another year with Coach Bustle and staff, especially if unsuccessful, puts us an additional year away from reaching our goals. So which is the right answer? Personally for me, the better answer is to see it through with the current staff for at least next year. Neither choice is easy, so its a good thing I'm not the AD! Regardless, see you guys saturday!

Shof _
    Well said, Shof. It IS a difficult situation. Normally, I think a coach has 4-5 years to prove what he can do. Unfortunately, this program was FAR from normal when Bustle came in. Everyone is complaining about how awful our defense is this year (with good reason!). But can you recall a time not so many years ago when we set an NCAA record for most points allowed in a season? LA Tech and Tulane were hanging 70 on us then. THAT was embarrassing! We are a long way from that bottomless pit. Prior to the season, I felt the USC, Troy and UCF games were probable losses, and Ohio was a toss-up. Only the McNeese game looked like a probable win. I think the reason there is so much wailing and gnashing of teeth is the raised expectations we've had due to how much Bustle had improved the program. We have started to expect a higher level of play (IHateLaState are you reading?). And that is a good thing. I think we are on the cusp. Right now it can go either way. Are we right to be disappointed and to expect more? Hell, yeah! But I think now is the time for us to circle the wagons and support our team through the end of the season. Then we can do a better assessment of where the program is and whether or not Bustle should continue. I think he should at this point.

Love the dialogue, guys. Some great points have been made.

Ultimately, we are looking at the performance of the product. Do the coaches have a product in these young men that should be shaped into a winning team, a job the most average of coaches could accomplish, or is the quality of the players such that great coaching alone is not enough?

It all comes down to recruiting.

Would Bustle have success at Southern Cal because of the great product or would he screw that up because he is an inferior coach?

I don't know the answer to this question, but are we getting blue chippers? Are our recruits getting five, four, even three stars on Rivals (not that they know everything)?

If we are getting quality players, then the blame must be placed on the staff. If the best available high schoolers and jucos are mid-major at best, even DII or DIII, we shouldn't be surprised at the season's record.

Again, recruiting is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    _ Prior to the season, I felt the USC, Troy and UCF games were probable losses, and Ohio was a toss-up. Only the McNeese game looked like a probable win. We have started to expect a higher level of play (IHateLaState are you reading?). And that is a good thing. I think we are on the cusp. Right now it can go either way. Are we right to be disappointed and to expect more? Hell, yeah! But I think now is the time for us to circle the wagons and support our team through the end of the season. Then we can do a better assessment of where the program is and whether or not Bustle should continue. I think he should at this point. _
    Yep Imma reading And my wagon will be in that circle. always has been.

Why were you expecting losses to Troy and a toss-up with Ohio? What does that say about our program. We EXPECT to lose to other Sunbelt and mid-majors.AT HOME Man something is wrong with that.

Look I dont realistically expect Coach Bustle to be fired mid season. Only those folks in Baton Rouge do those sorts of things But I would HOPE that a true critical assesment of the program would be performed at the end of the year by those with more knowledge than me ARE we on the cusp?? if so stand up and tell the IHateLaState's of this community to shut the hell up.

But let us know that someone other than assistants are going to be held accountable. You say we are on the cusp? Then dog gone it you better start winning or a new coach will be in here. I dont see that happening with this administration.

One reason I suspect is that they see acceptance of mediocrity in the fan base

Let's see what happens

Default Re: Weekly Award Winners

Quote Originally Posted by srevere51 View Post
    _ It is merely my opinion. No need to get offended.
    When you are a child, you encourage young ones with positive reinforcement and hope you get the best out of them.
    When you pay for an Athlete to attend your university, you should expect a certain level of play and demand the BEST out of them.
    No awards were given during the McNeese game either, so if you want to give me an award for boasting my opinion feel free to send me a private message.
    I have supported this university going on 27 years (I will be 27 in December). I will be there for the next 27. _
    If you have supported the University and football for 27 years then you would know that awards are given for MOTIVATION. It doesn't matter the outcome of a game.many play their best games even when a team has a loss and should be recognized. As for the scout team.do you have any idea of what these guys do? They do EVERYTHING the other players do without the reward of playing on Saturday and deserve to be recognized also for their hard work and dedication during the week in practice. Honestly do you think the coaches actually say "hey guys here's your award for losing"? Give me a break. Oh by the way since Ross Goodlett is a walk on and not receiving money for his time, is it ok to throw him a bone? He won this week for the "scout team" defensive player. Never mind he is an incredible athlete.

I think one of the problems that we have is that we are a struggling mid-major (I hate that term, but it is true.). The way it affects us is that the perception of potential recruits is that we do not have a real tradition here and that we have struggled in arguably the worst conference in the country, so why should they come here. If that is the case, you have 2 routes to take recruiting wise. First, go with JUCO guys and hope for immediate success while gathering young talent that will hopefully step into the shoes of the JUCO guys when they leave. Second, you can do what Bustle is doing and get young guys out of highschool and let them take their lumps in the hopes that once they become juniors and seniors, they will gel and you have a winning product. In theory the second option is ideal, but the problem in reality (as I see it, and I could be wrong) is that we (UL) have struggled mightily to overcome the damage that Stokley did in his later years and Baldwin did throughout his tenure that we really can't afford to do what the program seems to be doing right now. What I mean by that is, Bustle struggled his first 3 years here to get decent recruits and to put a decent product on the field. In those three years, he had the luxury (if you want to call it that) of telling new recruits, "You guys have a unique opportunity to come in and play right away and build a program from the ground up. You will be pioneers of the new UL football program (or something to that effect)" And this seemed to work when we went 6-5 in his 4th year. Last year looked great at first when we went 4-2 to begin the year and then completely collapsed to finish 6-6. Now, we all know too well what the story is in going 0-5 this year. Obviously, the year is not over and we could still get 5 maybe 6 wins.

The point I am trying to make is that we can't afford to have young guys come in and try to develop them and the best we can do is go 6-5 or 6-6 and then rebuild for another 3 years and so on and so on. At some point, it gets tougher and tougher to recruit highschool kids when the best you can do is 6-5 or 6-6. Hopefully I am wrong and next year all of the young men who are playing this year turn it around and go 6-5 or 7-4 and we start to roll from there. Otherwise, I just see a vicious circle of mediocrity which I do not want to accept.

13. Default Re: I guess it is a new low.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    What I mean by that is, Bustle struggled his first 3 years here to get decent recruits and to put a decent product on the field. In those three years, he had the luxury (if you want to call it that) of telling new recruits, "You guys have a unique opportunity to come in and play right away and build a program from the ground up.
    That is a great point CajunProud. Just looking at Senoir classes lets see how your statment fits.

Here is a look at the recruiting wars and each class as Seniors (redshirt not taken into account)

Recruiting
    Year
    Recruiting pitchSenior
    Year
    Sr. Yr. Results
    2001-02Late start . . . "You guys have a unique opportunity to come in and play right away and build a program from the ground up. 2005Co Champs
    2002-03"Yeah we lost in year 1 but you guys have a unique opportunity to come in and play right away and build a program from the ground up. 20061 loss more than conference championship year.
    2003-04"True we have lost both of our first 2 years, but we have improved our win totals each of the last 2 years. Come be a part of something good. We will be getting an indoor practice facility.2007Between
    0-12 and 7-5
    2004-05Improvement in wins! This is our 4th year, we are going to win come be a part of something good. We will be getting an indoor practice facility2008???
    2005-06We were conference champions this past season. This is just the beginning. Come play at UL and you will not be sorry.We will be getting an indoor practice facility2009???
    2006-07We were conference champions 2 years ago and were OH so close this past season We have a new OC and DC and the new practice facility wil be ready for you your freshman year. Come play at UL and you will leave a winner.2010???

_ There are no guarantees anywhere gentlemen. No a new coach won't guarantee 12-0. no one suggested such folly I do believe with the facilities we have here.Who else has an indoor facility? With the fan support that we have here.highest avg attendance in the league and the potential for even better with a winning product. that we should expect better than 6-5 as the HIGH water mark after 6 years in a program

We are into year 6 and the BEST we can do is mid level in the worst conference in America. and you have the audacity to criticize me for questioning where this program is and asking why are we not expecting more???

I think Coach Bustle has had ample time to turn things around. and he has not. now you can go cry about the lack of funding or you can quit making excuses and start winning McNeese has 15 less scholarships than do we and they kicked out butts. ULM plays in a goat pasture and have beaten us 4 of 5 years under this regime. I dont know why we cant expect. EXPECT. to be playing at the level of Troy. they compete with Alabama and Auburn for recruits yet here they are dominating the league.

Coach Robichaux has the same money issues. As does coach Steph you NEVER hear any moaning and groaning for those two.

I happen to think those who accept mediocrity are part of the problem _
    this post makes a lot of sense. i was just surfing the si.com site; the mandel guy has a ranking of all 117 fbs teams, and cajuns are 111. that cannot be what anyone wanted after 6 years of bustle, money woes or not. i know football costs more than baseball to run, but shouldn't the 'we're too poor to compete' argument at least partially be refuted by coach robe's success?

Good perspective Turbine But sorry to not be impressed. The conference championship was a 6-5 and was a co-championship. I was very happy at the time. I was in Monroe for that finale and what a great feeling but ONLY because I thought it was the START and not the PINNACLE of our success.

Last year's collapse and this year's woeful start are simply not acceptable. And geez I love your always positive attitude dude I really want good things from this program but sometimes sometimes. you have to say. somethings wrong and my friend. somethings wrong

As I said earlier, I hope like hell i am wrong. but it is time to raise expectations about this program. I expect something better than 6-5. sorry.

Thread Information