Page 104 of 153 FirstFirst . 94 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 114 . LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2293

Thread: The Book: 2007 Football

Default Re: Don't Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ 1994

1)We were 1-3 and had already lost to a 1-AA school by 19 points.

2)Later in the year we also got our tails kicked by Southern Miss and Texas Tech. Sound familiar?

1)We are 0-4 and have already lost to a better 1-AA school by 21 points.

2)Later in the year we also got our tails kicked by a better CUSA team in Central Florida and probably Tennessee as well.

That 1994 team still went on to win a conference championship and have a winning record. I'm not saying that we will do the same. I am saying that it is still too early to give up on this team.

Coach Bustle is correct. There a lot of talented young players on this team. There is still time to turn this thing around and have success.

This is the most crucial part of this season and maybe Coach's tenure here. They need us.

Please don't give up on the Cajuns yet. Come out this Saturday,and let's start the turnaround now.

Saturday will mark the time when we will all look back and say THIS was the game when it happenned.

This is it. _
    I never jumped ship.i might be critical of what is going on but nothign will stop me from being on the front row of the student section Saturday night.

Default Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

Someone on another thread commented on turnovers.

The thing that made Delhomme and Mitchell (and Desormeaux) great is not that they had no turnovers (Delhomme threw plenty of interceptions) it's that they didn't let it affect them next time they had the ball. Hell Brett Farve is about to break the record for most interceptions thrown, I suppose this makes him a bad quarterback? Mike is not perfect, but he is an incredible runner, good passer and strong leader. If we had 20 more who played their position with the same fire this fella does, we would be 4-1, at least.

It is absolutely absurd we are talking about QB when this team has far worse problems.

Untill our defense picks it up we will not win a game, even if Peyton Manning is at the helm.

Default Re: Cajuns open as a 6.5 favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ This is the "Tourniquet Game". Only one can stop the bleeding. Who will it be?

Cajuns 38
    UNT 27 _
    No kidding! I visited with the NT folk on their site and asked if this was the ESPN "Pillow Fight" of the week (we'll know later today). If we can convert red zone points into TDs vice FGs I like our chances. Should be high scoring game.
    Cajuns 35, NT 28

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ I never jumped ship.i might be critical of what is going on but nothign will stop me from being on the front row of the student section Saturday night. _
    Ditto. Whether or not we are "happy" with the current state WRT the record is mute. We are young in many areas; but they haven't given up and neither should we. We need to stay behind this team and support them when they need it most. See you guys at the game saturday!

This is so COOL Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Someone on another thread commented on turnovers.

The thing that made Delhomme and Mitchell (and Desormeaux) great is not that they had no turnovers (Delhomme threw plenty of interceptions) it's that they didn't let it affect them next time they had the ball. Hell Brett Farve is about to break the record for most interceptions thrown, I suppose this makes him a bad quarterback? Mike is not perfect, but he is an incredible runner, good passer and strong leader. If we had 20 more who played their position with the same fire this fella does, we would be 4-1, at least.

It is absolutely absurd we are talking about QB when this team has far worse problems.

Untill our defense picks it up we will not win a game, even if Peyton Manning is at the helm.
    Can we clone Des Mo down at the research center in Cade? I would like to see Mike in several positions including QB.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Who is this? What did you do with CajunNation? Are you an alien?

I will see you Saturday Nation! _
    I have vented my criticism. It was warranted.

But, the more I think about things, the more I've come to realize just how close this team is to turning the corner.

Coach Bustle is correct. There are several high quality Freshmen seeing a lot of playing time on defense. They are going to get better.

Central Florida may be the best team we play ALL SEASON, and the guys fought tooth and nail all the way to the end.

After the disappointing losses early on, the guys are still fighting. I can't turn my back on them or not give them my full support.

We could still win 4 or 5 games, and go into next season on a high note.

We could still pull this season out of the crapper.

Louisiana Campus Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

Sorry, he's a great athlete who just should not be playing quarterback. At the end of games when passing down the field is necessary, consistency is not there. I guess that he is the better option overall than Morell or Hundley was, considering the system. Having an accurate, big-armed quarterback who could lead U.L. down the field when needed would be preferable, though. Having said that, I think the guy could possibly be a professional athlete at another position down the line. Because of this, I really believe that he could be more valuable to the team at another position where he could get the ball in the open field and use his considerable talent. The fact that he plays so hard is something to admire. Also, he's not the main problem with team, of course. The defense doesn't seem to be able to make the big stops.

UL Football Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by OLF82 View Post
    _ Sorry, he's a great athlete who just should not be playing quarterback. At the end of games when passing down the field is necessary, consistency is not there. I guess that he is the better option overall than Morell or Hundley was, considering the system. Having an accurate, big-armed quarterback who could lead U.L. down the field when needed would be preferable, though. Having said that, I think the guy could possibly be a professional athlete at another position down the line. Because of this, I really believe that he could be more valuable to the team at another position where he could get the ball in the open field and use his considerable talent. The fact that he plays so hard is something to admire. Also, he's not the main problem with team, of course. The defense doesn't seem to be able to make the big stops. _
    You probably thought Matt Jones shouldn't have been a QB at Arkansas, and that Brian Mitchell would have been better utilized here as a tailback. You would have been wrong in both of those cases, and you are wrong about Desormeaux.

We had an accurate big-arm QB who could lead us down the field with Jon Van Cleave. That worked out really well, didn't it? As to getting Desormeaux the ball in the open field, that is exactly what the zone read option does; give the ball to the TB or the QB, whichever is uncovered, with a good seam and a chance to make a big play. Sorry it's not working out. Oh, that's right, we are among the nation's leaders in rushing offense.

Default Re: Desormeaux is getting the job done.

oh all we have to do is find an accurate big armed QB to come to ul. thats the problem, guys like that won't usually come to a program like this. And if we had this accurate big armed QB right now he would spend most of his time on his back. MD is not your typical QB, could we have better, i'm sure but could it be worse? it could be alot worse. i don't know why everyone is coming down on mike when he is all we have that is even keeping us halfway competitive. If our defense could stop anyone on third and long we would have at least 2 wins right now maybe 3. QB is not the problem. Bad coaching decisions and defense is our problem.

Default Keeping up with the Big Boys

Saw this article on the NT board. Very interesting read/analysis, and you could probably draw very accurate similarities with our situation at UL; or for that matter any current Sun Belt school.

Shof

The Longhorn effect

As UT competes in the college sports stratosphere, schools like North Texas also pursue big athletics dreams — although with much smaller budgets.

Standing on a concrete patio outside his new $9.7 million athletics center, University of North Texas Athletics Director Rick Villarreal gazes south and sees a bright future — a 50,000-seat football stadium that he hopes will soon sprout from the gently rolling former fairway and propel the Mean Green into the ranks of the nation's elite teams.

"From the president to the board of regents, they've all made it very clear that there's no reason we can't have a nationally competitive program," he said.

No reason except money, that is. On a hot July day, the new athletics center, situated across Interstate 35 from the main campus north of Dallas, still had bare walls and an empty foyer. After moving in, the sports department ran out of money to add its decorations and trophy cases.

Like the University of Texas Longhorns, the Mean Green play in Division I-A with the NCAA's most competitive teams. Like UT, North Texas has high hopes for its football team. Both have powerhouse Oklahoma University on their schedules this year.

The similarities end there.

UT's athletics budget is $107 million this year. UNT's is $15 million. The Longhorns spend about $210,000 per student-athlete; the Mean Green, less than $40,000. UT's athletics department employs 260 — six times the size of UNT's.

The teams' financial statements also have very different bottom lines. UT is one of the most profitable programs in the country; North Texas is one of the least.

The fiscal gap between the two schools highlights the chasm between those universities where athletics is huge and everywhere else. And it's widening: UT's athletics budget is growing faster than UNT's.

How can these two schools compete on the field? They don't, really. The Longhorns have played the Mean Green twice in recent years, winning by a combined score of 121-7.

Despite such lopsided realities, North Texas and other schools continue to chase a dream of athletic eminence enjoyed by a handful of superpowers that play high-stakes leapfrog, jumping over one another to win bragging rights with the latest and best. After UT installed its $9 million high-definition football scoreboard and sound system, Texas A&M University quickly ordered up its own $12 million scoreboard package.

Less-wealthy wannabes are paying a high price, too. Texas Christian University more than doubled its football budget from 2003 to 2005, according to federal documents. Texas Tech University's athletics department burned through its financial reserves last year, partially because of its huge debt service from borrowing to improve sports facilities.

"The sad reality is you have the North Texases of the world trying to keep up and play a game they simply can't win," said David Ridpath, a professor of sports administration at Ohio University. "There's only so far they can go, and if they try to go as far as UT, they're going to lose, and their students are going to lose."

'Any place but Texas'

Studies disagree about the benefits that a high-profile, successful athletics program brings to a campus. Winning teams can attract students (mostly males), boost campus spirit and galvanize alumni. Though most prime-time sports programs lose money, the allure of having one remains powerful.

A 2004 Rice University study of its Division I-A athletics department found spiraling costs and a divide between the high academic standards set for regular students and those for athletes.

"As schools continue their struggle to remain competitive, the pressure to invest more and more in coaches and facilities drives up the price to play," the study noted, suggesting that the school consider dropping to a lower division.

Rice decided to stay in Division I-A, though it pledged to rein in costs. According to federal documents, however, the athletics budget jumped 20 percent from 2003 to 2005, mostly for football. The school is also completing a $23 million renovation of its basketball arena.

At North Texas, which has grown from a commuter school to a sprawling campus of 34,000 students, officials say they hope a nationally visible football program and new stadium will help the school win recognition as a top university. "The proposed stadium will be among the finest in the country," a fundraising brochure promises, "helping advance the respect and admiration this great academic institution so richly deserves."

"If this were any place but Texas, things would be different," deputy athletics director Hank Dickenson said. "But here, we got 5A high school teams with publicly funded stadiums as nice as ours."

A review of UNT's athletics budget, however, illustrates the paradox of building a competitive sports program with modest means. Winning costs money — which mediocre teams have trouble supplying.

The Mean Green earned repeated invitations to the New Orleans Bowl in the early 2000s, but for the past two seasons, the squad has posted losing records. That has taken a toll on ticket sales. And without the extra money from playing in bowl games, income dropped $600,000 from 2005 to 2006 — a significant loss for a team that overall earns less than $2 million a year.

In the past, the department sold basketball/football ticket packages in an effort to lure students to basketball games; when it separated them in 2005-06, men's basketball revenue dropped a third. (In 2006-07, for which financial data are not yet available, the team made the NCAA tournament.)

Athletics director Villarreal also cut the number of away games that the football team plays against big-time schools, typically powerhouses looking for an easy win. The games were lucrative, bringing in about $400,000 each. But they wreaked havoc on the players and the team's record.

The school's facilities, meanwhile, have been showing their age; maintenance costs jumped $500,000 from 2005 to 2006. The new athletics center nearly tripled the department's annual debt service, to $700,000.

In all, the North Texas athletics program's losses ballooned 50 percent last year. The Mean Green football team cost about twice what it earned; the basketball team cost about 61/2 times its revenue.

The university was forced to cover a $4.6 million deficit — on top of the $4.3 million subsidy that sports already receives from student fees.

"We're probably always going to run a deficit," said Mike Ashbaugh, associate athletics director for operations. "Until we get going."

Betting on the future

This year, UNT athletics is spending even more money in the hope that it will pay off later. It increased its marketing program by $100,000 and spent tens of thousands more hosting fundraising functions. Two new hires are chasing private donations for new facilities.

"We had a lot of people counting money, but no one out raising it," Villarreal said. The Mean Green Club now brings in about $500,000 a year — paltry by Longhorn Foundation standards, but several times more than five years ago. Hiring well-known high school football coach Todd Dodge has boosted season ticket sales 40 percent.

Villarreal said he hopes additional investments in basketball and football pay off, too. He has increased the men's recruiting budget for basketball and football. A new football apparel deal with Under Armour should eventually help the bottom line, although it will actually cost the department money while the Mean Green switch from New Balance gear.

At the same time, he is upgrading the sports complex to convince recruits that North Texas is a place to be taken seriously. The department has built 12 new facilities in the past four years.

The new athletics building has a hydrotherapy rehab room — just like the big schools — and gleaming new training and weight rooms. The new football locker room includes a players lounge with the now-standard large flat screen TVs. The foyer was finally decorated with trophies and other sports souvenirs.

The school also has new softball, soccer and tennis facilities. In 2004, UNT purchased the entire campus of a private school across I-35 from it. Since then, Villarreal has been transforming the old buildings into a "new" athletic campus, Mean Green Village.

A single-story schoolhouse is the new academic center (the old one was under the football stadium and leaked). The old gym was refloored and is now the women's volleyball center. A choral hall was transformed into an indoor golf practice room. The cafeteria will become the new basketball practice facility.

He has bigger plans, too, should the opportunity — and money — arise. The weed-choked softball field will become an indoor practice field. A baseball stadium and track and field complex will arise from empty lawns, and luxury suites will blossom in the Super Pit, the 35-year-old basketball arena in the center of campus. (He settled last year for a renovation of the basketball locker rooms and players lounges — 60-inch TV included.)

The capstone, of course, will be the new $60 million football stadium to replace the 56-year-old Fouts Field. Villarreal said he hopes to see construction under way by the end of the decade.

Yet he vows not to get too caught up in the athletics arms race. "We make sure our people get everything they need — though not everything they want," he said. "There won't have to be a logo every two feet."

By Eric Dexheimer

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

edexheimer@statesman.com; 445-1774

Default Re: Next Opponent: UNT's Dodge not worried about impact of slow start

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I have an idea, blitzpleasesometimes
    By blitz, I assume you mean the kind that actually reaches the QB. We have blitzed in the past games, but haven't really been able to put pressure on the QB. As a result, we've given up big plays. Makes it tough for the DC to call for a blitz. I think the lack of success makes the team play more tentatively, being afraid of making bad plays. Of course that RESULTS in bad plays!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
    Bad News
    Last year, UNT was worse. Cajuns were better UNT came here and whipped arse.
    Actually,

Last year's North Texas D was better than this year's D. Statisically, their D was better in 2006.

Don't forget, they had just fired Darrell Dickey and their team played out of their heads against us.

From the NT board, here are their current ranking's in DIA.

North Texas Ranking
    Scoring Offense #110
    Scoring Defense #119
    Sacks Allowed #110
    Sacks #119
    Passes Intercepted #114
    Passes Had Intercepted #115
    Turn Over Margin #108
    Pass Efficiency #93
    Pass Efficiency Defense #117
    Penalties Per Game #102
    Tackles For Loss #119
    Tackles For Loss Allowed #102
    Third Down Conversion % #99
    Third Down Conversion % Defense #92

If only, ONLY Bustle would have confidence in the kids we have. This would be a different story. We would not be 0-5, if you as a coach dont take chances, or you lay down when losing, that feeds onto the players. Bustle's job is to jump in on the sidelines and show that he believes in each and every player he has. If he would do this, the players would rise up.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ Oh, that's right, we are among the nation's leaders in rushing offense. _
    Records or leading the nation doesnt mean ANYTHING when you are 0-5.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    Actually,

Last year's North Texas D was better than this year's D. Statisically, their D was better in 2006.

Don't forget, they had just fired Darrell Dickey and their team played out of their heads against us.

From the NT board, here are their current ranking's in DIA.

North Texas Ranking
    Scoring Offense #110
    Scoring Defense #119
    Sacks Allowed #110
    Sacks #119
    Passes Intercepted #114
    Passes Had Intercepted #115
    Turn Over Margin #108
    Pass Efficiency #93
    Pass Efficiency Defense #117
    Penalties Per Game #102
    Tackles For Loss #119
    Tackles For Loss Allowed #102
    Third Down Conversion % #99
    Third Down Conversion % Defense #92
    Let the 7-5 season begin Saturday!!

Z

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Check pm 'Strodawg.

Z

Thread Information