Welcome back, Ashley Evans.

As recent games indicate, the West Monroe product is getting her stroke back as a key player for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun softball team.

In last weekend's Sun Belt Conference series sweep of North Texas, Evans homered to provide the difference in a 1-0 victory on Saturday and came back for a three-run shot to get the Cajuns in gear in an 8-0 victory on Sunday.

When the Cajuns visited Nicholls State on Wednesday, Evans struck again with the winning home run in a 2-1 victory in Game One and drove in two more runs in the 9-0 second game win.

When you've battled an ailing back all season, days like that are treasured ones.

"It's tough to work so hard in the fall and the spring, and to be hurt," said Evans, who now has six homers and 19 runs batted in. "You're in pain every day. My teammates are working tirelessly, with me in the dugout.

"My teammates have been very supportive. Last year I had some really good games. When I've struggled this year they've tried to pick me up, to pick up the slack in the lineup."

Evans saw action in 22 games as a pinch hitter in 2002, then was hopeful of a larger role in 2003 when she hurt her hand in the sixth game and missed the rest of a season that finished with the Cajuns playing in the Women's College World Series.

Last year, playing in 62 of 68 games, Evans exploded at the plate with a .340 batting average, six home runs and 31 RBI en route to All-Sun Belt Conference honors while playing first base, all three outfield positions and designated hitter.

She went 8-for-14 with two doubles, two home runs and six RBIs in Florida State's Seminole Classic, then hit .452 in postseason play (counting the Sun Belt Tournament) to help lead UL to the NCAA Regional finals.

Although she missed five games with a rib injury, it was a breakout year for Evans. That has made this year even more frustrating.

"Nothing helped," Evans said. "I've had physical therapy, taken time off. The coaches have had me just hitting in practice, instead of working on defense. Hitting is much harder on my back, but there's a spot for me on offense with the DH role. It's hard to get better now.

"Last year I was hurt, but it was only for two weeks. This put a big glitch in my season. I've never had an injury I couldn't overcome."

Last weekend's 1-0 win over UNT showed Evans could still produce when others were dormant.

"I had just missed twice, when the centerfielder caught the ball at the wall," Evans said, "so I asked coach Mike (Lotief) what was I doing. He told me the adjustments I needed to make, and to visualize doing it.

"It's great to have my swing back. I'd much rather have it at the end of the season than at the beginning."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com