Thread: Danyele Gomez named USA Softball National Player of the Week

1. UL Softball Danyele Gomez named USA Softball National Player of the Week

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. --- The Ragin’ Cajuns Danyele Gomez (Metairie, La.) garnered the USA Softball National Player of the Week award for the week of April 18-24 after batting a team-high .526 (10 –for-19) and leading her No. 13 ULL team to a perfect 6-0 weekend.

"It's truly an honor and I feel privileged to be selected as this week's USA Softball National Player of the Week," Gomez said. "I've been playing with a lot of confidence lately and have been swinging the bat well which paid huge dividends for me last week. But, as usual my focus, as well as our team's focus, is still to accomplish our team goals and get better every game we play."

“We are thrilled and honored for this award,” said ULL co-head coach Michael Lotief. “I can’t think of a more deserving athlete of this award. She excels on the softball field and in the classroom as a pre-med major. She is one of the best hitters in the country and she had one of the most incredible weekends for our team. She had some mammoth home runs at opportune times. She is a hard working, humble kid who sums up what it is all about to be a Lady Cajun.”

The junior right fielder finished the week with a .526 batting average (10-for-19) collecting two doubles, three home runs and 14 RBI. In the North Texas series, Gomez hit .500 (6-for-12) with one double, two home runs and a team-high nine RBI. In game two of Saturday's twin bill with NT, Gomez blasted two, three-run home runs as she recorded her third multi-home run game of the season and tied her career-high with six RBI. In the University of Louisiana-Monroe doubleheader on Wednesday, Gomez was 4-for-7 with five RBI.

Gomez tallied a 1.105 slugging percentage for the week as she piled up 21 total bases in 19 at bats. She was 8-for-11 with runners in scoring position (.727) and contributed nine two-out RBI. For the season, Gomez is hitting (.348 with six doubles, 13 home runs and 44 RBI.

The USA Softball National Player of the Week is designed to acknowledge outstanding athletic achievement by individuals on a weekly basis. Each recipient of the USA Softball National Player of the Week Award will receive an engraved plaque and will be national recognized for their accomplishments. A complete list of winners can be found on the USA Softball web site at www.usasoftball.com

The source of the story

Default Re: Danyele Gomez named USA Softball National Player of the Week

This young lady has been something special from the start. Congrats to Miss Gomez!!! This type of recognition will only help recruiting and our Louisiana programs status. The Lotiefs are GREAT people and coaches for us to have at Louisiana. I am grateful every year they return!!!

Thanks for what the Cajun Softball program does for THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA, and all of Acadiana!!

DaddyCajun!

Congrats Danyele and Lady Cajuns

4. Default Re: Danyele Gomez named USA Softball National Player of the Week

The Lady can swing a bat!

Attached Images Attached Images  

UL Softball Re: Danyele Gomez named USA Softball National Player of the Week

As you know, Danyele is from the New Orleans area, Metairie to be exact. At every game you will find her parents, but this is also remarkable, at almost every home game, you will also find TWO sets of grandparents. She has a lot of support and love from the home front. My bet is that they all were in the stands at every one of her school games too. Lucky girl! Might this be a secret way of growing up a chamption?

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    As you know, Danyele is from the New Orleans area, Metairie to be exact. At every game you will find her parents, but this is also remarkable, at almost every home game, you will also find TWO sets of grandparents. She has a lot of support and love from the home front. My bet is that they all were in the stands at every one of her school games too. Lucky girl! Might this be a secret way of growing up a chamption?
    Fantastic post

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu
    As you know, Danyele is from the New Orleans area, Metairie to be exact. At every game you will find her parents, but this is also remarkable, at almost every home game, you will also find TWO sets of grandparents. She has a lot of support and love from the home front. My bet is that they all were in the stands at every one of her school games too. Lucky girl! Might this be a secret way of growing up a champion?
    Maybe we can get them to talk to Rick Jones and show him how to get to Lafayette.

Seriously, great post and congratulations!!!

Thread Information