Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I am not a fan of Tim Floyd

1. UL Basketball I am not a fan of Tim Floyd

OK I'm on the record; I am not a fan of Tim Floyd. The reasons are several and varied, but I will just scratch the surface here. Let me get this out of the way and admit he is a great recruiter, he has to be. If he can recruit multiple NBA owners with no and below no experience, high school players don't stand a chance. Unless that is they would just expand their horizon and look at the big picture.

Tim Floyd loves to tell recruits they need to expand their horizons. What he fails to tell them is that while it may appear like the horizon is growing, just as much is disappearing. Look at Ryan Fransis if he falls for Tim FLoyd's rhetoric he will be sharing his horizon with 3 other commitments at the same position.

In Floyd’s nomadic life he went 35-25 at Idaho, then 127-58 record at New Orleans, where he made a total of two NCAA appearances. He went from there to Iowa State, where he guided the Cyclones to three consecutive 20-win seasons. Not bad, but I hope that is not what he is basing his broaden your horizons recruiting technique on.

Louisiana on the other hand has three NCAA appearances in the past 5 years, four straight trips to the post season along with four straight 20-win seasons and five 20-win seasons in the last six years. If a high school player wants to get to the mountain and expand his horizons Robert Lee and the University of Louisiana gives him a much better vantage point than what Tim Floyd is promising.

Tim Floyd knows this his current job may be his last opportunity; he has stated publicly "This will be my last pro or college job. My last job, period, we're tired of moving." My question is, if Tim Floyd is so keen on expanding his horizons why does he always come back to Louisiana between failures?

Default Re: I am not a fan of Tim Floyd

I agree 100%, but he lives in Mississippi between failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

OK I'm on the record; I am not a fan of Tim Floyd. The reasons are several and varied, but I will just scratch the surface here. Let me get this out of the way and admit he is a great recruiter, he has to be. If he can recruit multiple NBA owners with no and below no experience, high school players don't stand a chance. Unless that is they would just expand their horizon and look at the big picture.

Tim Floyd loves to tell recruits they need to expand their horizons. What he fails to tell them is that while it may appear like the horizon is growing, just as much is disappearing. Look at Ryan Fransis if he falls for Tim FLoyd's rhetoric he will be sharing his horizon with 3 other commitments at the same position.

In Floyd’s nomadic life he went 35-25 at Idaho, then 127-58 record at New Orleans, where he made a total of two NCAA appearances. He went from there to Iowa State, where he guided the Cyclones to three consecutive 20-win seasons. Not bad, but I hope that is not what he is basing his broaden your horizons recruiting technique on.

Louisiana on the other hand has three NCAA appearances in the past 5 years, four straight trips to the post season along with four straight 20-win seasons and five 20-win seasons in the last six years. If a high school player wants to get to the mountain and expand his horizons Robert Lee and the University of Louisiana gives him a much better vantage point than what Tim Floyd is promising.

Tim Floyd knows this his current job may be his last opportunity; he has stated publicly "This will be my last pro or college job. My last job, period, we're tired of moving." My question is, if Tim Floyd is so keen on expanding his horizons why does he always come back to Louisiana between failures?

Not many Cajun fans like Tim Floyd.

Floyd the Barber is okay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is Coach Lee and company able to continue to contact Ryan Francis, and right the ship, as I am sure that Tim Floyd and Cali has clouded his thinking to say the least. Again if Floyd can sway Pro owners you know a high schoolers mind would be a snap. I just hope it is important to his(Ryans) friends and family(Mom, Dad, grandparents and siblings) to see him play on a weekly basis, live in action. Also I hope it is important for Ryan to play his style ball in an up tympo style that the Cajuns play and NOT the half court that Tim Floyd is famous for.

DaddyCajun,
    LOUISIANA PROUD!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by bradyson View Post
    Not many Cajun fans like Tim Floyd.

Floyd the Barber is okay.
    "Paw" needs a mohawk!!

Z.

"Sit Down Coach!!!!!"

7. Default Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?

Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?
    The rest of the story

Endurance Training Re: Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?

Does anyone "really" believe Floyd would stay at UL beyond one or two years?? UL's administrative team needs to move beyond this guy and all of his baggage.

UL Basketball Re: Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Stick View Post
    _ Does anyone "really" believe Floyd would stay at UL beyond one or two years?? UL's administrative team needs to move beyond this guy and all of his baggage. _
    No baggage check has been issued by the NCAA. I agree that there is a potential baggage check and it probably won't materilzie within the time frame we need to hire a coach. On the other hand the NCAA may very well give us a signal that such a hire would not be a problem.

Now the secondary baggage. Tim Floyd leaving for greener pastures after a year or two. I guess that would mean he was very successful in two seasons at UL. I like that, I want that. I hope every coach we hire does so well he is plucked away after two or three seasons. We can be sure of one thing. A coach that is not tempted to leave is not getting the job done.

My comments does not mean I am hoping for a Floyd hire, only that such a hire would not be roadblock to future success.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?

I'm with you on this one, Express. Then again, I'm not too sure a guy named 'Red Stick' is really all that eager to see UL succeed.

Default Re: Is Floyd using UL to land a bigger job?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express View Post
    _ No baggage check has been issued by the NCAA. I agree that there is a potential baggage check and it probably won't materilzie within the time frame we need to hire a coach. On the other hand the NCAA may very well give us a signal that such a hire would not be a problem.

Now the secondary baggage. Tim Floyd leaving for greener pastures after a year or two. I guess that would mean he was very successful in two seasons at UL. I like that, I want that. I hope every coach we hire does so well he is plucked away after two or three seasons. We can be sure of one thing. A coach that is not tempted to leave is not getting the job done.

My comments does not mean I am hoping for a Floyd hire, only that such a hire would not be roadblock to future success. _
    All I ever ask of our coaching staff is that when they leave us, they leave the place better than they left it.

If it's for a "big time" program, so be it. Just leave it so the next guy can move us further.

_ Does anyone "really" believe Floyd would stay at UL beyond one or two years?? UL's administrative team needs to move beyond this guy and all of his baggage. _
    I do.
    He would have to make a serious run in the tournament to leave that soon.

Question for you...other than this Mayo thing which it looks like he is going to be cleared on, what baggage is he carrying? Did he get in some other trouble? I don't remember any incidents at the other schools.

You're not getting are you? A program like us or most mid-major programs for that matter are usually stepping stones for coaches who prove themselves after success and get higher paying jobs in more recognized conferences. Its reality and its a part of the business. If Floyd were to be here for only 2-3 years, he would have put us back on the map regionally and perhaps, nationally which would open other candidates eyes to this job beyond his time here. If he or any candidate were to be here for a short period of time, that would likely be a good thing or at least a mark of progression.

Floyd, BTW, may be the best candidate for this position. He has a little baggage but his success speaks for itself and his ability to get good players to programs that lack in prestige is unprecedented. We should hope we can land a guy like him.

Thank you!!! I've felt that way about Tim Floyd all along!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ You're not getting are you? A program like us or most mid-major programs for that matter are usually stepping stones for coaches who prove themselves after success and get higher paying jobs in more recognized conferences. Its reality and its a part of the business. If Floyd were to be here for only 2-3 years, he would have put us back on the map regionally and perhaps, nationally which would open other candidates eyes to this job beyond his time here. If he or any candidate were to be here for a short period of time, that would likely be a good thing or at least a mark of progression.

Floyd, BTW, may be the best candidate for this position. He has a little baggage but his success speaks for itself and his ability to get good players to programs that lack in prestige is unprecedented. We should hope we can land a guy like him. _
    We actually do not know if Floyd has baggage or not. USC as a whole has been running a dirty program since Pete Carrol arrived there in the early 2000's. It is quite possible that the disputes between Floyd and the USC AD was about not controlling boosters or running a clean program.

No one knows, but I am going to give Tim Floyd the benefit of the doubt. If you look at USC and the defections and recent hirings at SoCal you would see that they are bracing for major sanctions. Pete Carrol bolted and they hire Lane Kiffen, who will not succeed but they will be ok with that because he'll be their fall guy. Basketball they don't care about anyway, Floyd put them on the map and now they are falling off again.

So when the NCAA comes out and clears Tim Floyd we should all stop talking about baggage that may or may not exist.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information