Thread: Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

1. UL Baseball Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

While North Carolina has some fine pitching, including two very good starters (Miller and Bard), this has traditionally been a squad that is overrated. I have been suggesting for several weeks now that this is the case in 2005. North Carolina was ranked #7 in several polls last week. They are even #12 this week in BA and CB after a horrid showing at home this past weekend against Miami. The coaches poll has the Tar Heels at #10 this week.

SEBaseball.com is the only poll that has the Cajuns ranked ahead of the Tar Heels. UNC is #18 in SEBaseball.com with the Cajuns coming in at #14.

It is interesting to compare the results of the Tar Heels and the Cajuns .

Significant wins for North Carolina (28-8-1) .

#14 College of Charleston (1-0)
    #23 at Clemson (1-2)
    #51 North Carolina-Wilmington (1-0)
    #56 Virginia (3-0)
    #63 Wake Forest (3-0)
    #73 at Virginia Tech (1-0)
    #77 Birmingham Southern (3-0)

North Carolina losses .

#3 Miami (0-2-1)
    #9 Arizona State (0-1)
    #23 Clemson (1-2)
    #83 Elon (0-1)
    #89 Michigan (0-1)
    #140 Ohio State (0-1)

North Carolina is 13-7-1 against the RPI Top 100

Significant wins for Louisiana (31-7) .

#36 South Alabama (2-1)
    #40 Northwestern State (2-0)
    #42 (N) Wichita State (2-0)
    #54 (H/R) Lamar (1-1)
    #57 Texas State (1-0)
    #66 (N) South Florida (1-0)
    #67 at Arkansas State (2-1)
    #71 (H/N) St. John's (2-0)
    #82 at Minnesota (1-0)
    #94 Miami-Ohio (1-0)
    #96 (N) California-Davis (1-0)

Louisiana losses .

#36 South Alabama (2-1)
    #54 (H/R) Lamar (1-1)
    #67 at Arkansas State (2-1)
    #112 at Hawaii (0-1)
    #155 LeMoyne (2-1)
    #175 McNeese State (0-1)
    #179 at Southeastern Louisiana (0-1)

Louisiana is 16-3 against the RPI Top 100.

Obviously the RPI has its flaws. But take a look at the results above and form your own opinion. And then think about how North Carolina was #7 entering this week and Louisiana was unranked in BA.

Brian

Default Re: Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

Brian,

Very interesting. I think the problem that we run into is that we are in such a weak conference. We have that mid-major label stuck to us. (whoever thought up the term mid-major ought to be shot) I know traditionally the SunBelt was a fairly strong baseball conference, but it has fallen on hard times the last several years. We not only have this problem in baseball, but in every other sport as well. It is the perception of the confernce around the country. The "big" conferences will always garner more attention, even if it is not deserved. Hopefully we can make a lot of noise in the post season. With this team I think we can. Also, if we can sustain post season play for 4 and 5 years at a time, the national media will have to give us more respect.

That is amazing, I wonder where the tarheels stood when UL was 14-0 and no where to be found in BA

Brian,

I know this is off topic but is C of C really that good?

I am not Mr. Brian but no they are way overrated.

I was replying to GoneGolfin but your opinion is always welcome. BTW, I really liked your comparison of the 2000 and 2005 teams. The only area we we kind of disagree is I think Nelson had pretty good power.

Nelson had power but his senior year he hit 5 homers and moriss hit 13 and still miss 6 weeks of the season would have hit 16 to 18. Moriss already has about 6 homer this year Nelson never hit that many.

maverick check your email and you will no what i mean.

Tickets Re: Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    Nelson had power but his senior year he hit 5 homers and moriss hit 13 and still miss 6 weeks of the season would have hit 16 to 18. Moriss already has about 6 homer this year Nelson never hit that many.

Nelson hit 7 in 2000. That team hit a lot of homeruns and it seems that they always hit them at a crucial time.

You are correct Moriss is more of a power guy but nelson just made more contact and didnt strike out as much.

11. UL Baseball Re: Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    That is amazing, I wonder where the tarheels stood when UL was 14-0 and no where to be found in BA
    2/28
    Louisiana 10-0 (CB #20, NCBWA #20)
    North Carolina 8-0 (CB #4, NCBWA #5)

North Carolina's big wins to this point were North Carolina-Wilmington and Birmingham Southern (3). The Cajuns had beaten St. John's, Northwestern State, and Texas State.

3/7
    Louisiana 14-1 (CB #19, NCBWA #20)
    North Carolina 9-3 (CB #11, NCBWA #12)

North Carolina has just come off a weekend tournament at East Carolina in which they was swept by Arizona State, Ohio State, and Michigan. They had a midweek win against Gardner Webb. The Cajuns had beaten Wichita State (w/ Pelfrey on the bump), South Florida, UC Davis, and Cal State-Sacramento. They lost at Hawaii.

Brian

12. UL Baseball Re: Comparing the Tar Heels and Cajuns .

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Brian,

I know this is off topic but is C of C really that good?
    They have a decent club with a nice 29-6 record. I do not think they are quite as talented as the Cajuns. One of their problems will be their schedule. They just have not had much chance to prove themselves. They should win the Southern Conference, but Georgia Southern will give them a battle. There are some decent clubs in that conference (Georgia Southern, UNC-Greensboro, Elon), with two bids to the NCAA Tournament being the most likely scenario.

College of Charleston has taken 2/3 from East Carolina, swept Elon, beaten Coastal Carolina on the road, and taken 2/3 from Georgia State on the road. They play their second game against Coastal Carolina tonight. This is an important game for both squads. The Cougars close the season at Georgia State (3), at Clemson, and UNC-Greensboro (3). I expect College of Charleston to be a #2 seed somewhere as I think they are legitimately one of the Top 30 teams in the country. I do think #19 (Baseball America) is a little high. I have them just outside my Top 25.

Brian

Thread Information