Acadiana is mourning the loss of a fire chief.

Jennings Fire Chief Tommy Deshotel was laid to rest Friday. He died while awaiting a lung transplant, KATC'S Chris Welty was in Jennings for the funeral procession and caught up with friends who knew him well.

"He was a very professional man. He believed in what he did and how he did it," said Melvin Clay, a life long friend and a deputy with the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office.

Dozens gathered at Our Lady Help of Christians Catolic Church in Jennings to mourn the loss of retired Jennings Fire Chief Tommy Deshotel. For forty-one years, Deshotel served as a member of the fire department, twenty-one of those as fire chief. Life long friend Andrus Chesley says Deshotel always wanted his department to be in top notch shape.

"It had to be improved. He always had that take charge look. He always wanted better, and he was a very intelligent man."

More than a dozen fire trucks from across the state passed through an arch with an American flag draped over the procession to the cemetary to honor Chief Deshotel, a man that friends say gave so much to Acadiana.

"If there was any kind of equipment that he was changing out or he could offer, he would undoubtedly help you to get what you needed. He helped numerous departments from all around Acadiana," said Clay.

A man that not only will be remembered for his dedication to his department, but also for his love of the outdoors.

"We would go hunting and he would kill more ducks than me, and I said that's it! I'm not brining you back anymore," said Clay.

A love of outdoors and a love for his city that friends and family say will help Deshotel's spirit live on through out Acadiana.

Chris Welty
cwelty@katctv.com

Permalink| Comments