Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SportsNote, with special guest, Brian Benton

Default Re: SportsNote Today: Brian Benton

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    Thank you. BTW, if anyone has questions they would like to ask but were unable, go ahead and shoot a question in this thread. I will try my best to answer.

Brian
    Just want your opinion, on why so few scholarships in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    my thanks go out to brian and coach szefc for their time and insight today

i tried my best to stay out of their way

sportsnoteradio.com
    http://sportsnoteradio.com/archives/.fri_042205.mp3
    Excellent show again, Snote; but hang in there man cause without you it just doesn't hang together.

3. UL Baseball Re: SportsNote Today: Brian Benton

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    Just want your opinion, on why so few scholarships in baseball?
    I believe the primary reason is due to funding. Not many baseball programs are in the black and scholarships cost the school. Many baseball programs count on football and/or basketball to fund them. Although in the South, some programs benefit from state scholarships for in-state students that are not counted toward the scholarship limit. This has also been the source of some controversy.

Brian

Brian,

Excellent show with Snote last week, unfortunately I haven't heard today's show, but I'll listen to the archive later this afternoon.

Two questions:

1) How do you think Southeast and Texas baseball compares to West Coast baseball this year? I find that Boyd Nation's ISRs seem to have a West Coast bias because so many inferior Western teams are rated higher strictly due to their Strength of Schedule. Or is this maybe just an anomaly for this season.

2) How do feel the Cajuns' pitching depth stacks up against the rest of the likely #1 & #2 seeds (exluding Tulane)?

5. UL Baseball Re: SportsNote Today: Brian Benton

Quote Originally Posted by cajun1300
    Brian,

Excellent show with Snote last week, unfortunately I haven't heard today's show, but I'll listen to the archive later this afternoon.

Two questions:

1) How do you think Southeast and Texas baseball compares to West Coast baseball this year? I find that Boyd Nation's ISRs seem to have a West Coast bias because so many inferior Western teams are rated higher strictly due to their Strength of Schedule. Or is this maybe just an anomaly for this season.

2) How do feel the Cajuns' pitching depth stacks up against the rest of the likely #1 & #2 seeds (exluding Tulane)?
    Thanks cajun1300 .

#1 As far as the ISR is concerned, I think there may be some bias in favor of the West Coast schools. But I think there is less bias in favor of these schools than there is bias against these schools in the RPI. The RPI is particularly brutal to the West coast due to the relative scarcity of inter-regional play for western schools. While I am not a fan of either the ISR nor the RPI, I think the ISR does a slightly better job. But I also think that as more games are played, the systems come closer together.

If you look at last season, the ISR did a better job with respect to predicting the two teams in the finals of the CWS. Both had Texas as #1, but the ISR had the national champions Titans at #3 while the RPI had them at #7. The RPI did a little better with the Top 5, but totally missed on Arizona. The RPI certainly underrated the west coast last season.

As we stand today, I think you have a case where the RPI is drastically underrating the West. Arizona State is the highest rated team out West at #9 (and ASU is overrated due to their SOS). Only four western schools are in the Top 20 with Long Beach State and Cal State-Fullerton #19 and #20 respectively. Arizona is at #25. That is nuts.

I think that the ISR has Cal State-Fullerton and Long Beach State about right. But I do think Oregon State, Southern Cal, and Arizona State are overrated.

Overall, I think the Southeast and Texas has more quality programs due to the sheer number of overall programs. I think that Stanford and Arizona State are down in a major way this season. But Cal State-Fullerton will contend for the title again this year, especially after they get Schreppel back (Saturday starter). Southern Cal started slow, but is playing good baseball. And I think Arizona will likely be back in the CWS. Finally, Oregon State has been a big surprise and has two starters that together are arguably better than anyone in the country.

That said, if I had to pick a winner this year, I would pick Texas. Just imagine if the Longhorns would not have lose their ace (LeCure) before the season started.

#2 To answer this question, I am going to break this into .
    a) #1 and #2 starters
    b) quality of remaining pitching staff (including #3 starter, middle relief, and closers)

I split this up because your #1 and #2 starters can get you into the championship round of the regional undefeated and outright win a super-regional. #1 and #2 starters are also more important in today's format of the CWS.

I am using Mark's current #1 and #2 seed projections.

There are a few schools that have a slight advantage in the #1/#2 spots of the rotation .

Texas
    Oregon State
    Cal State-Fullerton (with Schreppel healthy)
    Long Beach State
    Tennessee

Schools that I think match the Cajun #1/#2 starters

TCU
    Rice
    Miami
    North Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    South Carolina
    Nebraska

Schools that have an advantage/depth for the remainder of the pitching staff .

Texas
    Auburn
    Florida
    Florida State
    Alabama
    Baylor
    Rice
    Tulane
    Mississippi State
    Long Beach State
    North Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    South Carolina
    Arkansas
    Southern Cal
    Nebraska
    Clemson

Schools that have similar quality for the remainder of the pitching staff .

Cal State-Fullerton
    Pepperdine
    Mississippi
    Miami
    LSU
    Tennessee

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Great commentary. By the way, I only expected you to spend a couple of minutes working on your answers. I didn't expect a dissertation. However, I'm very appreciative.

Default Re: SportsNote, with special guest, Brian Benton

once again i feel lucky to have mr brian benton agrreing to join the show tomorrow the 6th of may only a few weeks left in the season before regionals, etc etc etc

some points of discussion i am guessing will be:

** Upcoming Sun Belt series vs. New Mexico State
    ** Sun Belt race
    ** Race for a #1 seed
    ** LSU and UL race to host a regional
    ** History around the selection committee and the awarding of #1 seeds (w/respect to RPI, conference finish, etc.) and regionals

anything else someone wishes to know about? post or call in your questions

8. Default Re: SportsNote, with special guest, Brian Benton

Snote,

Sounds like you have it covered.

By the way, I haven't seen you at any Bullpen Club luncheons this season. Don't you care to congregate with the common folk? Perhaps you can't pull yourself away from Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun1300
    Legends.
    legends. hhmmm i know i've heard of that place before just can't put my finger on it though

although. the legendary status of this morning's guest brian benton, continues to grow, at least in this sportsnote's eyes when it comes to college baseball hope you get to listen

link for may 6th's show with gonegolfin i'm now gonefishing (smiles)

http://sportsnoteradio.com/archives/.fri_050605.mp3

No doubt in my mind you will loose the fishing tournament.
    for Pat Rice!

12. UL Baseball Re: SportsNote, with special guest, Brian Benton

Quote Originally Posted by snote
    link for may 6th's show with gonegolfin i'm now gonefishing (smiles)

http://sportsnoteradio.com/archives/.fri_050605.mp3
    Note that I had a small goof today when I was speaking of NMSU's Friday (Dustin Cameron) and Saturday (Jason Conner) starters this morning. I meant to say that they were both losing pitchers last year (to the Cajuns), not lefties. Both are righties. In fact, the Aggies only have two left-handed pitchers which was a point I wanted to make. One of those lefties is the Sunday starter (Bryan Robinson). The other (Hampel) is rarely used. Expect some of the left-handed Cajun bats to have a good weekend.

One other item I was not able to squeeze in was the fact that NMSU's top four hitters are left-handed. Advantage on Saturday for Faught. It should be interesting how well Ardoin and Cockrell handle the Aggie bats in Las Cruces.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    Note that I had a small goof today when I was speaking of NMSU's Friday (Dustin Cameron) and Saturday (Jason Conner) starters this morning. I meant to say that they were both losing pitchers last year (to the Cajuns), not lefties. Both are righties.
    well i guess we can overlook a mistake. this one time (grins)

wanted to alert all to that brian will be joining us on the sportsnote this thursday morning from Disney World as always one can call in with their questions at 337-269-1077 or email them in at sportsnote@hotmail.com or you can post them in here, if brian waits to answer on the radio vs. directly on the site (grins)

i'll post the specific time (in the 9 o'clock am hour) of brian's appearance later thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information