Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Leader: The Fabulous Cajun Chicken

1. People Spirit Leader: The Fabulous Cajun Chicken

It is said that the Fabulous Cajun Chicken first showed up completely out of blue at a Univerisity of Louisiana home football game in 1984.

Fourteen years later he was performing at his 1000th UL performance.

He was never Louisiana's mascot, he was much more than that.

The "he" is of course Russel Heim a graduate of Louisiana in 1980. His antics on the sidelines of UL sporting events pleased crowds like no one before or since.

How could I forget that very entertaining tradition?

Thanks for the reminder, I think this also proves how enjoyable a mascot in a costume (vs. a live animal like a dog) can get a crowd excited and into the game. I like the idea of the dog to run out and get the kicking tee but not as the main mascot.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . .

I think we can have a real dog mascot & a dog costume with a little cajun flair (not hillbilly) & not like the old Mr. Cajun (he looked like a Mississippi gambler). Hopefully the new costumed mascot could take lessons from the Cajun Chicken.

Originally posted by DRYSWAMP
    Hopefully the new costumed mascot could take lessons from the Cajun Chicken.
    Actually, he does.

Bring back the Cajun Chicken!!!!!

Everyone Chant with me . CAJUN CHICKEN, CAJUN CHICKEN, CAJUN CHICKEN

Let me offer my thoughts on our mascot. I grew up going to UL basketball and football all my life. UL's in my blood, and I grew up with the chicken. Yes he was funny, and yes he was good, but we must think about image here people. A goofy chicken running around is not the image we want to portray if we want to move up the ladder of prestige in Div. I-A. As far as the bulldog goes, how many schools do u know of that have a bulldog as the mascot? Have y'all ever heard of originality or uniqueness? Any ole university can choose the easy no-spine-or-originality-havin' road and use a bulldog or tiger or whatever generic dull boring mascot they choose. However, we are the ONLY university who uses RAGIN CAJUNS and the ONLY university who uses a Cayenne pepper. In the long run, this uniqueness will work to our advantage as we try to build prestige and build our own image.

God Bless.

The Cajun Chicken playing his drum. Damn, those were good days.

Default Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Ok, so I don't really have a petition, but I miss the Cajun Chicken, wanted to see if you guys did to.

10. Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

hmm.the cajun chicken was FUN, but in his time, i think now he cajun chicken would be nerdy and wouldn't last long, and besides why try and change things when i think we already have one of the best mascots, cayenne the dreadlocked pepper.haha

11. Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

i miss the chicken.i also miss having the bulldog as our mascot

Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun4
    i miss the chicken.i also miss having the bulldog as our mascot
    That was sarcasm. Right?

Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

The "Chicken" will only work if Russell Heim is manning the suit. It would be cool to have a "Chicken Night". Maybe sponcered by Canes.

14. Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    The "Chicken" will only work if Russell Heim is manning the suit. It would be cool to have a "Chicken Night". Maybe sponcered by Canes.
    NICE, now that's a great idea, maybe not JUST a chicken night maybe like a throwback night where we give tribute to the cajun chicken, bulldog, SLI, USL, all that good stuff

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    My wife and I's first home that we purchased was from Russell Heim's brother!

I met Russell and his parents through the deal and was able to learn a little about he man within the Chicken!! Very nice man and very nice family!!

DaddyCajun!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information