Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Leader: The Fabulous Cajun Chicken

Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    The "Chicken" will only work if Russell Heim is manning the suit. It would be cool to have a "Chicken Night". Maybe sponcered by Canes.
    BREAKING NEWS

I heard two weeks ago Saturday the Cajun Chicken with the real man behind the mask is to make a not so surprising appearance at a Blackham game. You may get your wish.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBullDog View Post
    BREAKING NEWS

I heard two weeks ago Saturday the Cajun Chicken with the real man behind the mask is to make a not so surprising appearance at a Blackham game. You may get your wish.
    McNeese in Blackham Coliseum
    Dwight Bo Lamar shooting 3's
    Payton Townsend, Fred Saunders Roy Ebron-under the goal
    Beryl Shipley, Tom Cox-honorary coaches
    Red Dots & Newspapers behind the opposing bench
    Cajun Chicken in Uniform

Rodeo Chutes on the outside

All on the same night

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    McNeese in Blackham Coliseum
    Dwight Bo Lamar shooting 3's
    Payton Townsend, Fred Saunders Roy Ebron-under the goal
    Beryl Shipley, Tom Cox-honorary coaches
    Red Dots & Newspapers behind the opposing bench
    Cajun Chicken in Uniform

Rodeo Chutes on the outside

All on the same night

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan to me.
    Throw in a little Jerry Bisbano running the baseline on Shipley's 1-3-1 defense and it would be old home week.

The best play I ever saw in school basketball history was around 1960 or 61 when we had a guard named Bill McHorris. He could shoot like crazy and was a good overall player. Don't remember who we were playing but the man guarding him was in his face all night and getting away with some stuff that the refs wouldn't call.

McHorris stole the ball from the guy and headed to the other goal on a one on one break with this guy trailing him. Right past the foul line, instead of going on in for an easy layup, McHorris came to a screeching halt, bent over still dribbling and the opponent went over his back, did a flip and landed on his derrierre. McHorris made both free throws as we were in a one in one. Funniest thing I ever saw. Needless to say, the guy backed off about a foot the rest of the night.

Anyone remember the likes of McHorris; Tim Thompson; Larry Simon; Dean Church; Bob Cutrer??? These were some of Shipley's early stars and were a lot of fun to watch as Shipley seemed to get everything possible out of his players.

THe only Cajun Chicken we need is in the Gumbo. Need to ditch the Pepper while we are at it I'm sorry, but having a vegatable as our mascot is just lame and asking for insults and jokes. Pick some animal a swamp animal like a Gator or Puma, something, that would go with the local culture. or even put a guy in a suit with waiters and a straw hat and name him Coonie the Ragin Cajun anything but a damn pepper.

5. Default Re: Petition to Bring Back the Cajun Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    The "Chicken" will only work if Russell Heim is manning the suit.

You are right !

This is Upsetting Where is the Chicken

The UPN broadcast is dropping the ball by not showing the CAJUN CHICKEN. Wish I could have gone in person.

Default Re: Where is the Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    The UPN broadcast is dropping the ball by not showing the CAJUN CHICKEN. Wish I could have gone in person.
    It's kind of difficult for them to show the Cajun Chicken being that he wasn't there and all.

8. Default Re: Where is the Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Turner
    The UPN broadcast is dropping the ball by not showing the CAJUN CHICKEN.
    As CajunRebel noted Cajun Chicken was not there to be filmed. Although I have it on good authority he really wanted to be there.

Here is my version of what happened: The hups (higher ups) didn't want the chicken to overshadow the monetarily invested pepper so they issued an edict that no bright yellow objects or articles of clothing would be allowed on the court.

Seriously though? This (to me) exposes the shear weakness of the pepper mascot in that it couldn't withstand the rigors of a single throwback game at Blackham.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    As CajunRebel noted Cajun Chicken was not there to be filmed. Although I have it on good authority he really wanted to be there.

Here is my version of what happened: The hups (higher ups) didn't want the chicken to overshadow the monetarily invested pepper so they issued an edict that no bright yellow objects or articles of clothing would be allowed on the court.

Seriously though? This (to me) exposes the shear weakness of the pepper mascot in that it couldn't withstand the rigors of a single throwback game at Blackham.

If we call this a throwback game, i believe the Cajun Chicken was never in Blackham. Budman was.
    CC

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection
    If we call this a throwback game, i believe the Cajun Chicken was never in Blackham. Budman was.
    CC
    Budman & the Chicken were the same guy. I'm sure that Russ would be glad to do either. Maybe Bud man in the first half & the Chicken in the second.

11. Default Re: Where is the Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by CajunConnection
    CC
    You had me searching there.

This picture of Cajun Chicken is from the 1984-85 Louisiana Acadien Yearbook. (The last at Blackham)

What I don't know if it was his first and last at Blackham.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is so COOL Fabulous Cajun Chicken Returns!

Fabulous Cajun Chicken Returns!

Courtesy: RaginCajuns.com
    Release: 04/13/2007

Courtesy: RaginCajuns.com
    http://www.ragincajuns.com

Where can you see Micheal Jackson, Elvis Presley, and the Grim Reaper all in one night? Well, this Tuesday you can see all three of them and much more as the Fabulous Cajun Chicken makes his return at Tigue Moore Field.

Full Story:

http://www.ragincajuns.com/ViewArtic.&ATCLID=863906

13. Default Re: Fabulous Cajun Chicken Returns!

i can't wait to see the cajun chicken at the tigue on tuesday. it will be a sight for sore eyes tuesday. people bring your butts out to rally behind the fabulous Cajun Chicken and be done with the red banana!

14. Default Re: Fabulous Cajun Chicken Returns!

This is GREAT news.

Nice win last night Cajuns! Lets keep it going.

15. This is so COOL Fab Cajun Chicken set to make return to The Tigue

RaginCajuns.com Video of Cajun Chicken

That fowlest of birds - and the most popular off-the-field entertainer in the history of the Ragin' Cajun athletic program - makes a triumphant return Tuesday night.

The Fabulous Cajun Chicken, after an absence of nearly eight years, will re-hatch for a one-night-only appearance at M. L. "Tigue" Moore Field Tuesday when the UL baseball team plays its annual "Turn Back the Clock Night."

Southeastern Louisiana will be the opponent for the 6:30 p.m. contest, and the unwitting Lions will no doubt be the target of some of the feathered one's array of skits, antics and impressions.

That is, if Russell Heim can remember them.

"I'll be 50 in three weeks," said Heim, who brought the Fabulous Cajun Chicken to life for nearly two decades. "I'm hoping Acadian Ambulance is on standby."

Barring any such medical emergencies, Heim plans to reincarnate many of the Chicken's famous sketches. Fans on hand Tuesday for the festivities, which include Ticket Redemption Night and a post-game auction of UL's throwback jerseys, can expect to see Elvis Presley Chicken, Michael Jackson Chicken, Witch Doctor Chicken, Grim Reaper Chicken and others.

"I've been going through the attic, seeing what I can find," said Heim, in real life the senior vice president of The Clement Companies Inc., project management and oil field inspection company. "I'm glad I didn't throw all the stuff away."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information